Joy Division/New Order Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Mar 20, 2018.

1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Both Joy Division albums actually were released in the 70’s!

nytechy, PJayBe and Stencil like this.
  2. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone's feisty. :wantsome::wantsome:

3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Yes, I certainly feel that way about it too. Which of course can be both a good and a bad thing.

Havoc likes this.
  4. BurtThomasWard

Yes, that is true. Well, except for Closer ;):D

Jarra Lad and Willowman like this.
  5. Havoc

It was presented to me by a friend who quoted a review stating they had finally found a perfect sound. I listened once and just assumed what he told me was right. I was into Stone Roses the Oasis.....etc. and really didn't revisit the album for a while. It's like a warm bath of an album, it does everything right. I just come away neutral I guess. I understand why you love it and understand why others don't give it the time of day........if that makes sense. When it's up in the thread I plan on visiting it pretty intensely. Could be fun.

6. Havoc

Who knew we'd get into the whole 1980 is technically part of the 70's thing? :p

7. BurtThomasWard

Well, my father was (and for that matter still is) one of those guys, so I have quite some experience on this subject growing up ;)

8. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

While Anton Corbijn gets a lot of credit (deservedly), it's actually Kevin Cummins who is responsible for some of the most iconic JD photos. The shot of them on the snowy bridge in the post above is actually Cummins, not Corbijn. He also took these familiar shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LennyC., Pop_Zeus, PJayBe and 15 others like this.
  9. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

if ever there was a 5th member it was Martin Hannett....

The sound of those records is in a big part him.

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Of course, Kevin Cummins! How could I forget him.
    NME also featured photos of all sorts of artists by Pennie Smith back then. Great days.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... even Wikipedia lists 1980 as "first year of the 80's decade". I remember this discussion vividly at the end of 1999 when certain people did their best to convince other people that the Millennium didn't start until the end of 2000:evil:

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

I thought everyone agreed that Wiki wasn't to be trusted? ;)

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Only when they support your opinion:whistle:

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  14. BurtThomasWard

Yes, but of course. How silly of me! :D

15. BurtThomasWard

A very good description there! I must have gotten into Technique around '91. I never really fell for the whole grunge-thingie and accordingly went for the British sounds of the time instead that mixed pop, rock and dance-ier influences (Stones Roses, Primal Scream), being a hedonistic little SOB. Funny thing is, after Republic I've never really listened to the newer NO records. I must do something about that now.

Havoc likes this.
  16. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Martin Hannetts contribution on both of Joy Division's albums is criminally overlooked I think, the dark and brooding atmosphere of the albums is really down to Martin in my opinion. All the strange sounds, the natural reverberation of the lift shaft, smashing cups, doors being closed all make for amazing atmospherics in the various songs and most of it is Martins work really.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It is very interesting to read Hook's and Sumner's books actually. Both of them hated his production style at the time and preferred their raw aggressive live sound.

18. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

^ and both have been proved wrong. :)

Gavinyl and Cereal Killer like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - I find some of the JD live material to be a tough listen.

Don't even get me started on Warsaw!

jamesc and Gavinyl like this.
  20. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I remember getting a used copy of that Psychic TV album for $2 back in 2000 from a university radio station sell-off at the time!

Going back to the New Order/Joy Division discussion, I discovered New Order over a couple years ago from the Metal Gear Solid 5 trailer, which Hideo Kojima used "Elegia" in the trailer:

I fell in love with the song instantly and many dollars later, I got a whole bunch of New Order albums on LP in my collection.

As for Joy Division, I loved the BBC video of "She's Lost Control" with Ian Curtis doing the epileptic. My first Joy Division record was the UK Transmission 12" single.

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Excellent, what a cool way to discover them!
    A buddy of mine, his younger brother back in 85 had a ton of punk and old Cure and New Order Cassettes he used to play. So for me it was because of 'background' music being jammed out of his bedroom that got me started :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  22. Havoc

Indeed. I was planning on bringing up his production as a side topic when the thread has some space, looks like it might be a good time?

23. Havoc

Possibly the best group photo I have ever seen. They were just waiting for him, not knowing he was taking the photo, very "non rock and roll" yet, iconic and unforgettable.

Pop_Zeus and Front 242 Addict like this.
  24. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

Its not really a discussion since there is no year '0'.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  25. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

There is if you’re a Buddist or Hindu. Or an astronomer.

CaptainFeedback1 and Neonbeam like this.