Joy Division/New Order compilation “Total” to get vinyl release in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Just Reissue Substance
    The Second hand Prices Prove People Still Want It
    No One Wants The The Horrible Edits That Keep Coming Out On These Cash Grabbing Crap Comps

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Two Versions Of Substance Are Needed Now

Version One - Standard Two Lp Reissue
    Version Two - Deluxe Four Lp Reissue With All Tracks From Double CD

EmceeEscher, jimhb and Echoes Myron like this.
  3. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Anyone have this yet? Looks like its out in the US today. It is a very basic compilation but would still like to add it to my NO/JD collection. Hopefully its not from the same masters as some of their last reissues ( ex: Get Ready)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Shame they reissue this and not Substance.

Echoes Myron and Poison_Flour like this.
  5. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I agree but I already have a great copy of Substance so wasn't too mad about it. Also, I can confirm "Total" sounds really good. It is pointless if you have all the albums but it is nice little overview of JD/NO all in one place. The mastering on this thing sounds really good. Was also happy that it included the original "Temptation" and a different version of "Ceremony" than the one on Substance.

andres lira, Echoes Myron and JeffMo like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I saw Total and two JD live albums (Les Baines and Paradiso) on vinyl this past weekend at Lunchbox Records in Charlotte in case anyone needs or wants these!

DHamilton likes this.
  7. The-Ric

The-Ric Active Member

Quick question...I just bought TOTAL from Joy Division to New Order from Music Direct, has anyone had an issue with static pops with this LP? It seems both disc's are static charged, it is the strangest thing. I thought something might be wrong with my VPI Prime Scout. No other LP's I play have any static issues what so ever. Thanks. Ric

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Anybody able to comment on the SQ of this vinyl set? :Bump:

9. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Same, I'd also like to know how this sounds from those who have it? I don't have Substance on vinyl, and this looks like my only real option for a New Order singles collection on vinyl...

It's slightly odd that a vinyl-loving band like New Order (who doesn't mind repackaging things or putting out live albums loaded with past hits) does not have a "Best Of" in print on the format, but I suppose I understand Joy Division getting 1 side here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    DHamilton and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

As I stated further up the thread I think this sounds very good - flat, quiet, and great dynamics - the newer songs suffer a bit more from compression but am pretty happy with the sound/mastering over all. It also has different mixes/versions/edits on some tracks than the original substance comp. I never bought the ‘total’ cd as I have every album and mostly all the 12” singles so this is my first intro to this compilation. I would have picked a few different songs to fill it out but that’s just me. It is a nice little mix to add to the JD/NO collection and is a perfect way to introduce someone to both bands in a non intimidating way.

EmceeEscher likes this.
  11. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Thank you, I think I'll seek out a good copy of this then. I only have P, C & L, and the Ceremony and Temptation 12"s :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.