Joy Division on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

i definitely agree with jsayers on this one!

:righton:

the "Heart & Soul" boxset has everything you'll ever need, and for completeist sake you can throw in the others that he mentioned as well...

and, the mastering on the box is very, very well suited for this type of music - of course, if you want to hear the original masterings of these, you HAVE to go with the original UK LP pressings, as i'm not sure that any CD has matched those masterings.

and, i do believe that the box was re-mastered, as per the credits / liners (unfortunately, i've not my box set with me).

go for the box! you can't go wrong.

hope this helps.

:righton:

marcfeld69 likes this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The box set is definitely remastered.

The original pressings of the individual CDs were all FACD prefixes. When the albums (JD and NO) were bought by London records, the catalog #s were changed to the xxxx-xxxxx-2 series.

Have there ever been remastered editions issued? (apart from the box set?) I always assumed all later copies were just cloned from the original UK CDs. (which may or may not have been cloned from the Japanese Columbia issues)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. drewc

drewc Forum Resident

The sound of my FACD10 Unknown Pleasures (Factory UK original 80s vintage) CD is identical to the sound of my Qwest US CD is identical to my CentreDate/London UK/European CD. Have not heard the Japanese version though.

Closer is the same across all existing CD pressings (FACDXXV UK, Qwest USA, CentreDate UK/Euro).

With those and Still, the tracks on the box set have had some added midrange and compression (remastering done by current band manager Andy Robinson in Manchester) - while not atrocious, it's not as good as the individual CDs for those albums as currently available IMHO.

The vinyl for all three LPs is the definitive standard - it obliterates all available CD versions, including the box set.

The (unlisted) Birmingham live version of "Twenty Four Hours" on the Still LP is not available on any CD pressing in the world, including the 2xCD Japanese version. I can only assume that the CD master never included that track, perhaps it initially was planned for a single CD release in Japan first, before the decision was made to spread it across 2 CDs? AFAIK the Japanese 2xCD was the first release worldwide for this album on CD. The UK Factory FACD40 and US Qwest versions came later. The song does exist on my CD of the Still needledrop, though... ;)

Remastered individual CDs have not been released.

drew

Gerry Todd, Pop_Zeus and marcfeld69 like this.
  4. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

They are standard European pressings made at some point after 1999 after London Records was taken over by Warners.

5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I always wished that the original single version of Ceremony was issued on CD, the compilations always use the second version, which had replaced the first on subsequent pressings of the 12"single. I think the first version had been recorded during NO's first trip to NYC in '81 w/o Gillian.

I would love it if they would remaster the Joy Division and New Order catalogue. I would love to hear the JD stuff remixed, but neither will probably ever happen.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The original 7" version of Ceremony, by New Order, is now out on the latest 2 cd best-of, "Singles".

Why would you want anyone to "remix" the JD catalog? Isn't it perfect the way it is?

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

The original 7" version of Ceremony, by New Order, is now out on the latest 2 cd best-of, "Singles".

Why would you want anyone to "remix" the JD catalog? Isn't it perfect the way it is?

8. markl

markl Senior Member

Another vote for the box set. Great sound, plus all the essential extras you can't get on just their two proper albums/CDs.

9. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've got the original 12" and greatly prefer it to the second version. I always wondered why they had bothered remaking it.

10. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Slightly OT but someone posted clips of some of the early New Order 12" singles a few months back and they destroyed the CD versions.

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

The 12 inch of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" does sound amazing.

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 likes this.
  13. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

The box set is missing the FAC 23B version of Love Will Will Tear Us Apart and the original version of As You Said
    http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=35674

Make mine vinyl -- the JD albums as distinct units (as opposed to the awkward / jumbled sequencing of the box set) -- the dark red vinyl UK Closer and Love Will Tear Us Apart -- the white label FACUS 23 single Love Will Tear Us Apart / These Days.

I still find it remarkable that Don Gehman remixed Love Will Tear Us Apart on Permanent: http://www.dongehman.com/

14. Edgard Varese

15. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Yes.

Check out the link in post #28 from that thread... Go to singles and then Ceremony. It lists all the versions including yours.

7": AU 1981 (EMI/Gap SFA-541)
    7": FR 1981 (Factory/Virgin 101 578)
    7": IT 1981 (Factory/Base FAC 33) [orange sleeve]
    7": UK 1981 (Factory FAC 33) [gold sleeve]
    7": UK 1981 (Factory FAC 33) [testpress] [matrix #LYN9479]
    4:34 Ceremony
    4:35 In a Lonely Place

12": AU 1981 (GAP/CBS FAC 33) [green sleeve] [matrix #202980]
    12": AU 1981 (GAP/CBS FAC 33) [promo] [matrix #202979]
    12": AU 1990 (Factory/Festival X14833)
    12": FR 1981 (Factory/Virgin 600 204) [green sleeve]
    12": IT 1981 (Factory/Base FAC 33) [bronze sleeve] ***
    12": IT 1981 (Factory/Base FAC 33) [green sleeve]
    12": NZ 1981 (GAP/EMI FAC 33/12) [green sleeve]
    12": UK 1981 (Factory FAC 33) [green sleeve] [matrix #FAC33A1]
    4:34 Ceremony
    6:12 In a Lonely Place

12": UK 1981 (Factory FAC 33) [cream/blue sleeve] [matrix #FAC33A2] **
    4:22 Ceremony *
    6:12 In a Lonely Place

- 7" and 12" from Portugal may exist.
    * Re-recorded in September 1981 when Gillian Gilbert joined the Band.
    ** White label testpressing exists.
    *** First pressing had a grey label, second a black label listing time for In
    a Lonely Place as 4:31. Second sleeve somewhat different.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  16. Edgard Varese

Thanks Ben... I should have been more clear - I actually learned that I had the Italian pressing from that page (as my copy is not with me at the moment).

What I'm wondering now is whether the original "Temptation" is on the new Singles set, or whether it's the vastly inferior 1987 version from Substance.

17. drewc

drewc Forum Resident

Singles has the 7" version from 1982, the first-ever appearance on CD for this track.

Too bad the whole thing is uber-compressed, completely ruining it for me (and I LOVE the original 7" version, even made my own needledrop long before Singles came out last year...) :(

18. fortherecord

[

Ask Peter Hook, the mixes of Closer really suck, no bass, the vocals are buried, etc. Hannett and Wilson mixed it without the band's involvement.

The mixed of Unknown Pleasures are fine.

The mix of Transmission has none of the power of the Peel session because Ian's vocals are totally buried.

19. Edgard Varese

Great :(

FWIW there is a good New Order/Joy Division website (www.neworderonline.com) that provides this information (inc. sound samples). I was able to answer my own question, though as you mention, not in a satisfactory way. :(

It looks as though the long 12" version of "Temptation" has never made it to CD. Needledrops here I come...

In response to an earlier issue, does anyone have the live cd of Joy Division at Preston? That apparently contains "24 Hours", but I was wondering what the performance was like in comparison to the live sides on Still.

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Can someone give me the skinny on the various versions/mixes of Love Will Tear Us Apart?

21. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Actually, the original 12" version of Temptation is available on the Canadian 1981-1982 CD EP which can be seen here:

http://www.neworderonline.com/Music/Release.aspx?ReleaseID=90

It's out of print but one recently sold on ebay for under $20.

22. Edgard Varese

Hi Chris

Looking at the website mentioned above (www.neworderonline.com), I found that there were two versions of the original single, both of which appear on the 12" UK and US singles (apparently the alternate version appears on the B-side with "These Days" but is unlisted - I shall be running home to check this!).

The single version (side A of the above) appears on Substance and on more recent copies of Closer. Permanent includes both a new (1995) mix and the alt. mix (above). The 1995 mix sounds much more compressed to me, but also seems to bring out a bit more clarity in the midrange (but this, to me anyway, seems to rob the track of a bit of its power).

There is also an EP from 1995 containing a "1995 radio version" and an "Arthur Baker remix". I don't have this so I can't comment. It also appears on various BBC and Peel sessions collections.

The site also lists some other versions but doesn't link these to discs, so I'm unclear as to what these are or where you can find them.

Also, Swans did a version of this in the late 80s that was drastically slowed down; quite a listening experience indeed! ;)

23. Edgard Varese

Cool, thanks, I shall keep an eye out for that. :)

24. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Don't forget the lovely Paul Young version from the 80s! ;)

25. fortherecord

The Swans recorded two version of LWTA, one with male vocal with lush guitars and one very slow and over dramatic take with a female vocal (she sounds like she's about to hang herself).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.