Joy Division on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Japanese individuals discs or Japanese 1991 boxset are significantly better sounding than the UK Factory originals.

doors1991 and marcfeld69 like this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

As per usual... "sigh".....:sigh:

3. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Yes, but the CDs I mentioned, single discs on London Imports, both UP and Closer, are they the unremastered versions?

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

As far as I know any Joy Division CDs which have London or Centredate are not the same as the unremastered discs. If it isnt "FACD" catalogue number then it isn't an original. But I read sonewhere that some non original UK Closer CDs are cloned from FACD.

5. dead of night

Thanks for the help, BlueRose. I'm hoping that since these are single discs, and they are UK imports, they have the unremastered music. I would think that only the Rhino label would carry the remastered versions; any other import label would be the original unremastered versions.

Well I have them on order. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If anyone else can help, I'd appreciate it. For the record, the discs I am talking about are on sale at Amazon US as single disc imports.

6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I suppose the point I was getting at is that "unremastered" really doesn't mean much. The original mastering for the Japan market (Factory 25CY) is the best available. The original mastering for the UK market (Factory FACD) would be the next option. I'm not sure about the original mastering on Qwest as compared to these two (or any other mastering).

7. dead of night

There are imports from Japan available new, for Joy Division for about $47 apiece. I wonder if these are what you are referring to. The seller does not list the label.

8. BlueSpeedway

I think the fact they're single discs means they'll be one of the UK issues from after the FACDs but before the Deluxe CDs. If that's the case, from what I've read you'll be happier with the sound on those single discs than you would be with the albums in Deluxe editions, as the single disc reissues were closer to (or possibly even clones of) the originals.

If the ones you ordered are single disc reissues of the remasters from the Deluxe editions, then they'll definitely be very different to originals I think.

9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

For Substance, Centredate and German Rough Trade are nearly identical using DR analysis. Some peaks and RMS readings differ by .01 dB.

For UP and Closer, the Qwest masterings of each is unique. But the Factory and later CentreDates have either identical figures, or in one case, the CentreDate is the same as the Factory, minus .2 dB.

The Japan box is unique in every case. But it is not always a higher DR--UP is, but Substance and Closer vary by track.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

2 questions about the "carry car case"

1. that are the 1st joy division pressings on cd?
    2. I dont get it, comes in jewel case but also content a carry case? I ask for this: [​IMG] back inlay case and carry case: [​IMG]
    3. if the carry case car... is the 1st uk pressing MPO france... 1986 the second press 1988 UK made on MPO france too, both have the same master?

:confused:

11. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

Those are bright!

12. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The first UK Cd pressing of Closer was pressed by Nimbus in the UK. the first CD Pressings of UP were pressed by MPO France, both came with separate car CD cases, as did the first pressing of NO's Low Life, pressed in Japan.
    There were also rare US CD pressings of Closer and Movement (with white and maroon US artwork) on the Rough Trade label in the mid 80s.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  13. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

14. fortherecord

Oh' and Power, Corruption and Lies came out with a neat car case too, which resembled a floopy disc sleeve, CD pressed by Nimbus.

15. fortherecord

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Does anyone know if there was more than one mastering for each album prior to the Deluxe Editions?

17. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

The Heart And Soul box set (which contains all the albums) is a different remaster too.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I've only played Closer and it sounds fine, need to compare it to my original cd, but I suspect its closer to the remaster.

19. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Sterling work! (seven years later …)

20. BlueSpeedway

This member says differently though, most importantly that the US Qwests are not the same as the original UK Factory CDs.

??

21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I have the Centredate pressing of Low-life and while the mastering may be the same, the sound is harsher to me.

22. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

The beauty of objective analysis is anyone can duplicate my results. It appears that there are the following mastering families:
    a) Factory/Rough Trade/CentreDate (these are not strictly identical but with minor differences)
    b) Qwest
    c) Japan
    d) Heart and Soul
    e) Deluxe Editions

23. marcfeld69

My favorite local CD shop in Japan had a little consignment of these CY series original Japanese, so I got Closer for ¥1.500 yen. It's in perfect condition except the artwork is a bit discolored inside; ditto, NO's Low-Life . I'm tempted to get UP but the artwork is very slightly damaged. Looking forward to some comparing.

24. marcfeld69

:confused:
    It would be nice to know if the three-track single 1995 CD I have seen of LWTUA has appeared on other CDs.:confused:

25. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

You're quoting a post I wrote seven years ago. :laugh: I don't think that site exists anymore.

marcfeld69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.