Judas Priest 42 CD set - 50 Heavy Metal Years of Music coming soon.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'd send the entire thing back for a refund and include a note in the box with some swear words and be done with these fools

2. DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Lots of miss information being posted on here. I couldn't take it anymore, hence my setting the record straight.

A coupon code will automatically be emailed to everyone who bought the set. The coupon code cancels out the 50 gbp charge should you wish to order replacement sleeves via the link provided in the email. The replacements are 100% free.

The track listings on the CDs are NOT incorrect at all. British Steel has the American track listing (as opposed to the British track listing).

The original LP of Sad Wings of Destiny starts with Victom of Changes, but the LP cover art has side A and side B track listing in reverse, i.e. side A lists Prelude as the first track.

This is a great set. The quips listed are exceptionally minor. Several people here would get a gold medal if whinging was an Olympic sport. Honestly.

3. DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

False. The replacement sleeves are free.

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

In 2012, they made a point out of telling us the Sad Wings side order has been incorrect all these years and finally corrected on their last albums box set. Now they are back to what they previously called incorrect. So that's now correct? And is the American British Steel order the band preferred one? Or were old CDs just lazily grabbed as sources and no attention paid to which version they were?

Censored versions, mp3 sources, using 80s CDs as sources and barely altering them while claiming the CDs were "remastered from the original audio". The issues they fixed- the sleeve errors were the least significant problems with this set.

Anthrax, jeffreybh, jordevi and 5 others like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

There is NO WAY that Sad Wings was supposed to start with anything other than Prelude.

As for British Steel starting with Breaking The Law - well..as they say "only in America"

FVDnz, weekendtoy, Man at C&A and 4 others like this.
  6. I was commenting on the post in which I clicked the link.
    It did not say anything about ' if you already own the boxset...it's free'
    You are saying they are free to those who have bought the boxset.
    So they bloody well should be!!!!
    I still stand by what I said about the boxset being overpriced, and that their management are inept at best.

Purple, jeffreybh, DiabloG and 5 others like this.
  7. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

T
    There's a reason why Iron Maiden are still hugely popular and Judas Priest are where they are and it's certainly not the quality of the music.

Neilson77, Man at C&A, Purple and 8 others like this.
  8. DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if Prelude was meant as an album opener, or simply a Prelude to Tyrant. I prefer VOC being the first track on the album as it opens up the album with a punch.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I'll tell you why in one word: Eddie.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think the album works much better with Prelude/Tyrant opening.

11. jmdivi

jmdivi Forum Resident

So for the US customers we don’t need to pay to get the 7 replacement sleeves ? I haven’t recv an email yet with instructions. I’m assuming they have a record of everyone that made a purchase.

jeffreybh and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Everyone who bought the set should get the email with the coupon code and link to order replacement sleeves.

P.S I'm in Australia.

jeffreybh, jmdivi and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I will gladly take the missprint version of this box at a 60% discount.
    Keep a eye out for me. :)

14. misfits73

misfits73 Forum Resident

Denver '80 and London '81 gigs, proper eargasms

15. jmdivi

jmdivi Forum Resident

So Judas Priest gets into the hall of fame under the musical excellence category ? What a joke. But Dolly Parton and Enimen get in outright ? They need to be called Music hall of fame not rock and roll hall of fame

Curveboy, Matthew Tate and Pouchkine like this.
  16. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

0 credibility at this point.

Purple, Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I received an email from Priest's site stating that the replacement sleeves shipped. At least, that's what I think shipped, because it doesn't actually mention replacement sleeves anywhere in the email. It says "50 Heavy Metal Years of Music Exclusive Box Set R" in the item name box, but it cuts off after the "R". The "R" makes me think it's the sleeves. In addition, the SKU is Y4AMJP004, while the box set's SKU is Y4AMJP003, just one digit lower. I'm certain that it's just the sleeves, but I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow shipped the entire box. Did they say they were manufacturing copies with fixed sleeves? If so, I can definitely see this happening.

FWIW, this was shipped despite the label's request for customers to ship the whole box back. I guess they forgot about that?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Should've mentioned that the replacement sleeves are being shipped with Media Mail, just like the set itself was.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Fitting.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I can see why one might believe this, but I tend to disagree.

Let's see:

1. Priest were in the game first. For all we know the retro futurist art that Priest dabbled in could have been equally distinctive with wiser management;
    2. Management's handling (or lack thereof) of the early albums on Gull;
    3. Management's emphasis on marketing the band for the US, going for all the latest trends (style, sound, pairing with pop producers, whatever) and then completely losing touch with it (c. Painkiller onwards);
    4. Management permitting the implosive Ram it Down, but also ditching the better songs ("Thunder Road," "Fire Burns Below"), not permitting "Reckless" to be in Top Gun a year earlier but then leading with the single "Johnny B. Goode" (for a soundtrack; made on management's insistence);
    5. Management letting the band go completely dark for five years (upwards of ten) during the nineties, and Jayne generally having at best a neutral (or unenthusiastic) attitude towards the fans;
    6. Management spurring a theatrical concept in Nostradamus, which may or may not have been a good idea, but then not even touring with it.

I mean, those are just off the top of my head. The (handling of) in-fighting between band members, band members and management, and legal controversies aren't far behind.

21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

While I appreciate your thoughtful and detailed analysis I'll tell you why you're wrong :D

The casual Priest fan doesn't know or care about any of that. They know the hits and probably haven't heard or picked up a Priest disc since Painkiller.
    And there is nothing in the general public to keep their name or image out there. Now Eddie? Eddie is EVERYWHERE.
    I see kids wearing Maiden shirts all the time. And it's not because they know Be Quick Or Be Dead...it's the image.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Agreed. Judas Priest has some cool covers, but nothing as cool as Derek Riggs' covers especially.

23. jmdivi

jmdivi Forum Resident

I can see them in error mailing out box sets instead of the sleeves. They have no clue to what’s going on. If I get a box set should I return it ? If I don’t my conscience would get to me.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You know if that happened and you told them they would ask you to pay to send it back.

jeffreybh, Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.