Judas Priest-Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Recorded in 1978 and released in 1979, JP wanted more commercial success and radio play, so they changed their sound and look! This is not to say that this album doesn't have some of the hardest and finest examples of heavy metal ever, because it does. It's just that JP seemed caught between wanting a hit and sticking to their roots, and the result is a schizophrenic sounding album.

"Delivering The Goods" - This song is one of the aforementioned 'hardest and finest examples of heavy metal ever'. From the whip-like opening to the surging guitars and drums, this song is a "megaton, leviathan" that crushes your senses into a fine dust. Some guttural and high pitched screams from Rob give the song a sonic "beat you to submission" coloring. the song definitely does what the title promises.

"Rock Forever" - Some nice drumming here and as well as a thumping bass line from Ian. Inane lyrics though. Rob sounds terrific. Has a cute Thin Lizzy sounding guitar solo. Nice, strong rock song. A song destined for radio.

"Evening Star" - A ballad made for radio play. Nice, positive lyrics about finding oneself. A fine pop-rock song, with a solid guitar solo giving it a hard rock feel.

"Hell Bent For Leather" - The album returns to its opening promise of in your face metal. A strong guitar and drums opening that leads into a double-bass drum pounding, fast tempo tune. A great metal song. Classic.

"Take On The World" - Another radio-friendly song, with a chanting chorus. Underlying anthem of gay unity and pride. "Put yourself in our hands so our voices can be heard. And together we will take on all the world." A terrific rock anthem with an abrupt warped gong ending, indicating shattered dreams?

"Burnin' Up" - A song about lust. Tempo change in the middle part with "Desert Plains" style drumming and beat. Some fine singing from Rob. Solid guitar solos are to be heard here. Could be Foghat or Bad Company with the lyrics.

"Green Manalishi" - A Fleetwood Mac song brought up-to-date by JP. Great version! Crunching and heavy, with some of the best screams from Rob and guitar solos from KK and Glenn. Perfect!

"Killing Machine" - A song about a hitman. I like Rob's voice on this one. I really love this song. It needs to be in their live set.

"Running Wild" - A fast-paced, hard-hitting tune. Glenn wrote some fine songs. In your face from start to end. Great singing from Rob. Classic!

"Before The Dawn"- Another abrupt change in tone. A ballad made for the radio. Some real heart-felt emotional singing from Rob. I really like this ballad. Could have been on the "Sad Wings" album. A song of despair and longing. Great!

"Evil Fantasies" - An S&M song through and through. The seeds of "Pain and Pleasure" are sowed here. Great singing from Rob! A slow, churning tune with fine, wicked guitar playing from Glenn and KK.

Overall, this album introduces to the world the new leather and spikes Priest that would make them international stars. Hear the new Priest move from epic, prog metal, songs to straight-ahead hard rock. A must-have for the JP collection. For better or worse, the future starts here!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Killing machine

Another brilliant LP, a very different one from Stained Class. This one I think is more of a set of songs. There's a lot of back-to-basics hard boogie 70s style, the same basis as something like Molly Hatchet, only delivered slightly differently. That can be great at its best and dreary at its worst. Priest pull it off. "Delivering the goods", basically just another 12-bar, works great as an opener. The upbeat songs "Rock forever" and "Evening star" are both big favourites. "Take on the world" introduces the later so popular heavy metal chantalong. Twisted Sister certainly listened to this LP. Side B is slightly less interesting but still good, though I don't care for "Evil fantasies" and am not on fire about "Burning up".

First time I noticed the pattern in the second-to-last songs, always a crooner-ballad!

By the way, the original UK album was released in late 1978, and "Green Manalishi" is not on it.

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Sin After Sin for me is like the second beginning of Judas Priest. They still sound a lot like they did on Sad Wings Of Destiny, but certain Priest trademarks appear in full here, like the way the guitars lock in for the riffs and the double kick drums. However, I'd say the best development on this album comes from Rob Halford, who has really got better and finally comes into his own here. This album is the first Priest album on which his performance sounds flawless to me - his vocals are really full and strong throughout.

In terms of tracks, Sinner and Dissident Aggressor are two favourites and clear standouts, but, with the possible exception of Here Come The Tears (Halford excels on it, though), all the rest are pretty good stuff as well. Other personal favourites are Starbreaker and especially Call For The Priest/Let Us Prey, which I've always felt would've worked just great as the opener. It's fast and mean but it's also uncannily uplifting. Speed metal before there was speed metal. I do so love it.

I'm ambivalent about Diamonds And Rust, though. I like it well enough, but at the same time I would never miss it if it disappeared. I think the version they tried for Sad Wings was grittier, more aggressive and better for it. This Sin After Sin incarnation of Diamonds And Rust sounds a bit too polished to me, like a declawed version. It's very good as far as covers go, though - they totally made it their own.

All in all, Sin After Sin is another step forward and shows how they're definitely getting the hang of penning serious hard-hitting rockers.

Bananas&blow, Skylab, Crungy and 4 others like this.
  4. KM/HBFL has some good songs but it seems very insubstantial compared to the almighty peak of Stained Class, and lacks the intent and statement of British Steel......

Crungy and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Killing Machine/Hell Bent for Leather

For me this is one of their weaker efforts. A band in transition from 70's looseness to a more structured template.
    There are a few standout tracks, Delivering The Goods...well...delivers, as does concert staple Hell Bent For Leather. Running Wild is another solid one but the one track that makes it all worthwhile is The Green Manalishi (with the Two-Pronged Crown) which must be in the running for greatest cover song of all time. I have no idea what the title means, but this tune never fails to get the blood pumping.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I thought Hell Bent was a step backwards, starting a dumbing down of their sound that really lost me with the next one (British Steel), but I still like some of it, especially the Green Manilishi cover.

7. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

Hell Bent for Leather. Parts of this album sound very dated to me, but overall it is a great album. The pop metal sound of the 80s that we will hear all over British Steel and Point of Departure (not to mention Turbo) is already creeping in with the sing-a-long Take on the World and pop rock Burnin' Up. This is the stuff that influenced a lot of best forgotten cheesy metal in the late 80s. BUT the album has a lot of high points. Delivering the Goods is a hard rocker, perfect Priest. Rock Forever another great rocking track with great singing by Halford. Evening Star is very of it's time Styx sounding, but still well done hard rock with a great guitar solo. Hell Bent for Leather is one of their best songs on any album. Just what you want in a JP song, all the elements come together. Green Manalishi is well done, never one of my favorites but it has grown on me over the years. The rest is a mixed bag - Running Wild is a high point on side 2. Before the Dawn is a decent ballad that could be on Sin after Sin, Ozzy and GnR must have listened to this song a lot, they ran this format into the ground 10 years later, even with the slow guitar solo. Not much of a fan of Killing Machine or Evil Fantasies.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Stained Class may not be Judas Priest's best album, but it sure makes a solid, convincing argument for the title anyway.

It's not as consistent as Sad Wings Of Destiny (you know an album is hot when a song like Island Of Domination is one of the weaker tracks on it!), but it more than makes up for that with sheer single-mindedness and total focus. This time around the band sounds finally comfortable in their chosen shoes and dead set to make the most of it. Gone are the complex arrangements and flights of fancy, this is pedal to the metal all the way.

Priest have decided to not come in announcing themselves this time around, but rather prefer to burst in by blowing the doors off with Exciter, giving it all with boundless energy on a speedy, forceful track with relentless drums and piercing guitars over which Halford stretches his range to super-human extremes. The natural successor to Let Us Prey/Call For The Priest, and what a way to start the album!

One has hardly enough time to catch one's breath as White Heat Red Hot follows, keeping the energy levels up even if the pace slows down somewhat. Indeed, energy could well be the running theme for this album, as there's no let-up - Better By You Better Than Me (another cover they absolutely make their own) and Stained Class are also top notch stuff, gritty and mean, especially that awesome title track. The run from Exciter to Stained Class is pretty much flawless as it is, and already enough to make this album a keeper.

I've never been too sure what to make of Invader as I think it's good but nothing special. However, any doubts of the album running out of steam fly out the window quickly when I'm presented with the engaging dark atmosphere of Saints In Hell, and with Beyond The Realms Of Death, whose powerful riff, irresistible use of dynamics and the emotional range displayed by singer and lead guitarists all compound to make the song deserving of special mention and a set-in-stone place in the Priest canon. Beyond The Realms Of Death is up there with Victim Of Changes, probably even better, and testament to the band's evolution. If you're only gonna give your time to one Judas Priest song in your life, this might as well be it. It is that good.

Heroes End is a bit of an anticlimax, particularly after the quality tracks we've encountered previously, but it's actually better than comparison with its immediate predecessors would suggest. I just don't think it quite works as a closer.

All in all, probably not their most consistent album, but Stained Class has plenty of quality songs (a few of them being absolute killers) to be considered among their very best. Certainly a must for any Judas Priest fan.

9. sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead Forum Resident

Just a few solo corrections:

Sinner - KK at 3:20
    Starbreaker - KK, Glenn, then both
    Stained Class: 3:33 is Glenn
    Invader: all Glenn
    Savage: all KK
    Hell Bent for Leather: all Glenn
    Killing Machine: Glenn
    Before the Dawn: That's KK

70s Priest is weird for me - I'm a big fan of the band so by right I should love Sad Wings and Stained Class the most, but I'd really highly rank Sin after Sin and Hell Bent higher than them, probably putting them right up there with my overall favourites. White Heat, Red Hot, Saints in Hell and Heroes End really drag Stained Class down for me. The different production really stands out for me on Better by you and I wish the whole thing had been produced by James Guthrie. It sounds a bit dull on other songs, notably White Heat, where the guitar just sounds almost farty.

Looking forward to getting into the 80s because that's probably my favourite Priest era :)

10. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

KILLING MACHINE / HELL BENT FOR LEATHER

Some really good reviews of this album already written here, and time constraints always keep me from really rambling on about each of these albums the way I would like to....but...this is a very solid album. A nicely balanced mix of styles ranging from blues to boogie to ballads to anthems to the fast-paced templates of things we'd hear up ahead ( "Hell Bent for Leather" was obviously the template for "Screaming for Vengeance"). This is the last Priest album where we really hear the blues in their music. From here on in, the structures are the same, but the blues influence becomes subtle and less and less.

Random thought: I always wondered what Priest may have sounded like had Les Binks stuck around for the next six albums.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't like their odds but at least they keep trying to secure em.

In a new interview with "That Jamieson Show", JUDAS PRIEST singer Rob Halford spoke about the fact that the band still does not own the rights to its first two albums, "Rocka Rolla" (1974) and "Sad Wings Of Destiny" (1976), even though it's been four and a half decades since they were released.

"We've gone back and forth with the owners of those records," he said. "And it's a shame. I hope one day we can bring them back into the PRIEST fold, because they're valuable — they're like treasures, really. And I think that's probably why the people that still own them understand that, because they're keeping [the albums] rehashed and so forth.

"Like any band that's been privileged enough to have a long life like PRIEST — 50 years now — some extraordinary things happen in your first one, two, three albums. Especially the difference between 'Rocka Rolla' and 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' — it's just like this Grand Canyon effect in the way that the band really grew exponentially in such a short space of time.

"And yeah, we would love to get them back. We never say never. We keep going back to 'em every so often and say, 'Look, what's it gonna take?' Because they're important to us. And I'd like to feel that one day we'll own those masters again."

"Rocka Rolla" and "Sad Wings Of Destiny" were released through the independent U.K. company Gull Records. PRIEST broke its contract with Gull to sign with CBS Records for its next album, 1977's "Sin After Sin".

Halford is promoting his autobiography, "Confess", which arrived on September 29 via Hachette Books. The book has been described by the U.K.'s The Telegraph as "one of the most candid and surprising memoirs of the year."

In September, JUDAS PRIEST and Rufus Publications announced the publication of the first-ever official JUDAS PRIEST book documenting the band's extensive history over the last 50 years. Titled "Judas Priest - 50 Heavy Metal Years", the book has been put together by David Silver, Ross Halfin and Jayne Andrews.

Prior to being canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, JUDAS PRIEST's spring/summer 2020 European tour was scheduled to kick off on May 30 in Helsinki, Finland and conclude on July 28 in Tilburg, the Netherlands. The band was also slated to headline the U.K.'s Bloodstock Open Air festival on August 9 at Catton Park, Derbyshire.

The U.S. leg of PRIEST's "50 Heavy Metal Years" tour was due to launch September 9 in Oxon Hill, Maryland and wrap up on October 17 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

12. dharma bum

dharma bum Forum Resident

At this point and this late in the game, I can't imagine the owners making more money off future sales of those albums than what they could get from the band in one payment.

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Good review!

I know a lot of people think the more commercial, tighter Judas Priest started with British Steel, but I don't know that British Steel is any more tighter than HBFL. I have always liked this album (although I see many on the thread are unimpressed), and I think it is well written with lots of hooks, but still with impressive musicianship.

I am NOT one of those people that have to listen to an album all the way through; I skip tracks if I want to. But I never do so with HBFL.

Not to say all the songs are on the same level of quality - Evil Fantasies and Take On the World are not as good as the others, but the guitar in Evil Fantasies and the drums in TOTW definitely rescue those tracks.

Running Wild, Before the Dawn, and Green Manalishi are my three favorites, but it's all good. I just rated it 4.0 on RYM.

14. BluesOvertookMe

I believe the solo is KK. Certainly sounds like his style of note bending. I love the whole song.

15. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

HBFL has grown on me. Didnt really care for it at first when i was getting into JP. Its not perfect but there is plenty to like. The title track is superb metal in my book and that tapping solo makes me wanna play air guitar and headbang.

For me HBFL is way better than say British steel

16. BluesOvertookMe

I know it has hooks, like the whole album except maybe Evil Fantasies, but I am curious...What element of the song makes you call it pop rock? Just curious, not being argumentative.

Mark J likes this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the corrections folks. I have forgotten who does what solo on most of their albums. Some I can tell quickly, others are tough when they swap styles on occasion.

Pouchkine and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  18. Rose River Bear

Starting with the next album is where I will start to sound like a fanboy. I hope everyone hangs with it/me since some have already voiced their decreased lack of enthusiasm with the stuff starting on British Steel. :D
    I should have it up tomorrow.

19. BluesOvertookMe

Me too! BTW, Here's a quote from Les that disagrees with the band's narrative on the changing of drummers...

Well, it’s interesting because it was the live album UNLEASH THE EAST, that led to my departure from the band. And after I’d left, I read a lot of interviews in the press that the band did. And, of course, they wanted to know why there was a different drummer. This was when Dave Holland came in. And there were all kinds of false reasons for that because the truth would have looked really bad, so they had to make up stories. One of the most common ones you’ll hear is, “Oh! Les was a very technical drummer, and we wanted to go in a more simplistic direction, and Les didn’t want to change his style, so we asked Les if he could simply change his style and he didn’t want to.” That conversation never happened. That was all made up, complete lies. Because coming from a session background, one of the things you have to do is you play for the song. All right. So, if you go into a studio to play with a new artist that you’ve never met before, and he plays you the song he wants you to record, you listen to it, and you think, “What does this need?” Does it need lots of fancy fills and lots of busy drumming, or does it need a more laid-back approach and just real simple approach that’s more effective? So, you play what’s appropriate for the song. If you play the wrong– you can’t play a drum solo all the way through it. You’re not going to make many friends, or you’re not going to get booked for the next session. You know what I mean? You have to play what makes a song sound best. And one of my favorite drummers, of course, when I started was Ringo Starr. And Ringo is a very laid-back drummer, but he was perfect for the Beatles. He’s not a technical drummer but a tasteful, inventive player that plays for the songs....I wasn’t on the same deal as the rest of the band. So, every time we put out a record, I didn’t get royalties from it. I got paid a session fee upfront, and that’s all I would ever make of that record.

20. BluesOvertookMe

It's about the love of money or greed --

the song is about money, as represented by a devil.

Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green was reportedly angered by the other band members' refusal to share their financial gains.

Green has explained that he wrote the song after experiencing a drug-induced dream in which he was visited by a green dog which barked at him. He understood that the dog represented money. "It scared me because I knew the dog had been dead a long time. It was a stray and I was looking after it. But I was dead and had to fight to get back into my body, which I eventually did. When I woke up, the room was really black and I found myself writing the song.

21. BluesOvertookMe

British Steel is a great record. And this is coming from a guy that thinks Sad Wings of Destiny is their best!

22. Rose River Bear

I watched the British Steel Classic Albums short last night and getting psyched writing up my stuff.
    Both KK and Glenn seem like humble guys but I don't know too much about their personal lives.

Pouchkine and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  23. Rose River Bear

Unleashed in the East
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[​IMG]
    Released 17 September 1979
    Recorded 10, 15 February 1979

Unleashed in the East is the first live album by the British heavy metal band Judas Priest, released in September 1979 on Columbia Records. It was recorded live over two nights in Tokyo during their Hell Bent for Leather Tour in February 1979. Upon release Unleashed became the band's best-selling album up to that point, reaching the US Top 100[3] and the UK Top Ten,[4] eventually the album became one of the five Judas Priest albums to gain a RIAA platinum certification.[5] It is the first Priest album to be produced by Tom Allom who would remain at the helm for the next decade for the band, and the last release to feature drummer Les Binks.

To what extent the album was really live remains a matter of contention, with the album sometimes being called Unleashed in the Studio.[4] Years later, after he had left Priest, Rob Halford noted in various interviews that the music was indeed live, but that his vocals had been ruined in the original recording and were later dubbed in a concert-like studio setting.[6]

Contents
    Reissues[edit]
    The 2001 CD reissue featured four "bonus tracks", "Rock Forever," "Delivering the Goods," "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Starbreaker", which had been issued on the 7" bonus disc that came with the original 1979 Japanese vinyl release. Three of these were from their then-current album Killing Machine (released in the US as Hell Bent for Leather), which was not well represented on the original release. "Delivering the Goods" and "Starbreaker" had been exclusive to the Japanese release, although the former would be one of the B-side tracks to the "Living After Midnight" 12 inch, released in March 1980.

These four tracks were previously available on the Japanese pressing of the album (titled Priest in the East and having the same track-list as the remaster), and were recorded at the same time as the original nine tracks. Additionally, two more songs were recorded from the same concerts but were only available as B-sides on various singles:

"Evil Fantasies" was on the "Living After Midnight" 12 inch, along with "Delivering the Goods." This live version of "Evil Fantasies" had an official CD release on Single Cuts (2011), albeit with a 6-second edit to the start, which trims Halford's chat slightly.

"Beyond the Realms of Death" was pressed with "Rock Forever" and "Hell Bent for Leather" on a special 3 track live EP that came with initial UK pressings of "Unleashed In The East". There is also a 1979 UK cassette version with 12 songs: "Rock Forever", "Hell Bent for Leather" and "Beyond the Realms of Death" in addition to the original 9 tracks. To date, this version of 'Beyond the Realms of Death' has not been released on CD.

All the extra songs are fully produced, and are of the same quality as the original nine tracks. Certain bootlegs have turned up with all fifteen tracks in the original setlist order, to better reflect the actual concerts of the 1979 tour. (For the record, all the Unleashed in the East recordings were taken from shows on 10 February 1979 at Kosei Nenkin Kaikan Tokyo, and 15 February 1979 at Nakano Sunplaza Tokyo.[7] Additionally, there were two shows on 10 February: an afternoon and an evening show.[8][9] The two 10 February shows can be found as a bootleg under the title "Tyranny Unleashed In The East.")[10] Two more songs, "White Heat, Red Hot" and "Take on the World" were performed but never officially recorded.

However, the "Take On the World" 12 inch single, released in late 1978, included a live version of "White Heat, Red Hot" recorded at The Agora in Cleveland, Ohio on 9 May 1978 (on the Stained Class Tour). Live versions of "Beyond the Realms of Death" and "Starbreaker" recorded from the same 1978 Cleveland show were released as b-sides to the "Evening Star" 7 inch single and "Take on the World" 12 inch single, respectively. These tracks are available on the Priest, Live and Rare CD. They are not the same versions as on Unleashed in the East. The band was possibly trying to avoid repetition by not including songs on the official full-length live album that were already available as live versions on singles.

Track listing[edit]
    Side one
    No. Title Writer(s) Original album Length
    "Exciter" Rob Halford, Glenn Tipton Stained Class 5:38
    2. "Running Wild" Tipton Killing Machine 2:53
    3. "Sinner" Halford, Tipton Sin After Sin 7:31
    4. "The Ripper" Tipton Sad Wings of Destiny 2:44
    5. "The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)" (Fleetwood Mac cover) Peter Green Killing Machine 3:16
    Side two
    "Diamonds and Rust" (Joan Baez cover) Joan Baez Sin After Sin 3:30
    7. "Victim of Changes" Al Atkins, Halford, K.K. Downing, Tipton Sad Wings of Destiny 7:12
    8. "Genocide" Halford, Downing, Tipton Sad Wings of Destiny 7:19
    9. "Tyrant" Halford, Tipton Sad Wings of Destiny 4:32
    Japan 7" EP/2001 bonus tracks
    "Rock Forever" Halford, Downing, Tipton Killing Machine 3:27
    11. "Delivering the Goods" Halford, Downing, Tipton Killing Machine 4:07
    12. "Hell Bent for Leather" Tipton Killing Machine 2:40
    13. "Starbreaker" Halford, Downing, Tipton Sin After Sin 6:00
    UK 7" EP
    "Rock Forever" Halford, Downing, Tipton Killing Machine 3:27
    2. "Hell Bent for Leather" Tipton Killing Machine 2:40
    3. "Beyond the Realms of Death" Halford, Les Binks Stained Class 7:20
    Personnel[edit]
    Judas Priest
    Production

24. Rose River Bear

Unleashed in the East

We have already discussed the songs. One interesting thing about it that has kept fans discussing the album is the controversy regarding what parts were redone in the studio. As the Wiki page states, Rob has admitted that the vocals were dubbed in the studio. I thought he was not happy with his performance due to illness, but I think he has also said that the tracks for the vocals were damaged or faulty and could not be used.

As far as the guitars and such go, I am not sure if there are any overdubs, but I must say that I am suspicious of the sound at times. I think there may be dubs but the band IIRC, denied there were any. Interesting to see what you folks think.

Regardless, I enjoy the album and listen to it quite often. The performances-regardless of where they were recorded-are of course top notch and killer. I am pretty sure this is Tom Allom’s first involvement with the band.

25. Mark J

Mark J Senior Member

I was listening to the album as I was writing that and putting down my impressions, something about it seemed pop to me, I can't say exactly why. It wasn't meant as an insult, I like the album and song. I hadn't heard this album in more than 20 years until last week when this thread started and I dug it out. I actually enjoyed the album a lot more than I remembered it.