Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

How about SFV starting with The Hellion? Prelude is rapidly followed by Tyrant anyway and it works great. I actually think both work to start the album, Prelude and Victim Of Changes but I prefer Prelude first.
    And knowing some band members liked "some classical music" it's only logical that if they put this little instrumental and call it Prelude it's to start the album.

ian christopher and dkmonroe like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Oh I so don't miss side 1 and 2...

Gus Tomato and ian christopher like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This, of course, completely misses the point.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I like the one in the complete albums set, because they finally got the running order correct

mmars982 and dkmonroe like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

As for the album itself.
    For the longest time it was the only Priest album i liked.
    Now don't get upset with me, but i found their albums a little ... idk, i want to say dull, but it isn't the right word.
    Anyhow, i have grown to really like the band a lot, and that owes a lot to enjoying Sad Wings so much.
    It was always a strikingly brilliant album cover also

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The statement is wrong, because it wasn't just the initial pressings. It's the vast majority of albums out there, and every CD except for the box set version.

Besides, Prelude could just refer to it being before Tyrant, or even just to side 2.

OK: so how many of you, once finding out that Prelude comes 1st (if true), made CD-Rs (or playlists) of your favorite CD/digital version, and actually placed side 2 before side 1? Yeah ... I thought so. ;)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  7. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Like it was said the band was no longer associated with the labels that kept pressing the albums probably in the wrong order...

What we know for sure is that a couple of years ago Rob said it was his favorite Priest album!

Gus Tomato and mmars982 like this.
  8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

My favorite Judas album and one of my favorite albums ever by anyone

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I did. Heck, i did this 30 years ago when my only copy was on cassette.

And we're getting into semantics, but the statement does not say only the initial pressing had the sides reversed. It says the original had them reversed, and this one has the intended order. It also says this release was authorized by the band. I don't believe any other release was.

I wish I could find something where the band actually clears this up, but I guess they have other things on their mind. It all comes down to what each fan believes. There are a lot who agree with you, and a lot who do not. Enjoy it the way you like.

Pouchkine and dkmonroe like this.
  10. dkmonroe

I did a rip of my SWOD LP and I arranged it with the sides reversed. Starts with "Prelude", ends with "Deciever." It's my go-to version. Sounds great.

There, that was easy.

FVDnz, southamorican and mmars982 like this.
  11. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I probably would do that if I made a CD-R of it.

12. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Totally agree. I still have an original vinyl from Discos Mediterraneo (1976). My favourite album from JP and one of my all-time favourites too!

Sear likes this.
  13. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I said way earlier in the thread that I thought Sad Wings was reversed. Glad to see some folks agree with me. :cool:

I have listened to it this way since I realized the sides were probably reversed. That would probably be when I discovered Discogs about 10 years ago.

The original press doesn't list side 1 or 2, but it lists the songs in order with Prelude first and Deciever last. Why would they list side 2 first and 1 last? They wouldn't. It was a mastering error on the first press IMO. Since it was a small record company and an unknown band, no one fixed it early. Since JP basically had no control over the album for quite a while, the record companies just continued to release it as is...they don't care.
    JP fixing it on the box set tells me this is true.

It's an awesome album no matter how you listen to it! :edthumbs:

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Back in the day, it didn't work like this. Side 1 and Side 2 were treated as different beasts. Today, on CD, of course, it's different, because the tracks run on. However, back in the 70's, it made no more sense having Prelude at the start of Side 1, as it does on Side 2.

15. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Define: Prelude
    "An introductory piece of music, most commonly an orchestral opening to an act of an opera, the first movement of a suite, or a piece preceding a fugue."

So, based upon this, I would expect the Prelude to be the first song on a record. I don't see Side Two as an "Act", "Suite" or "Fugue", but others may see it differently.

That is why I prefer the US LP release on Janus, and consider it the correct release that just omits the Prelude entirely. Problem solved...

[​IMG]

In addition, I consider an Epitaph to be "the final word", so in my reality, it should have been the last song on the record.

Personally, I just don't think anyone involved with this release owned a dictionary...:laugh:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    808_state and kevin5brown like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yeah, this is a good point. They really had to think of good openers and closers for each side, not just the whole album. Something that is lost in the CD-era.

Gus Tomato and Pouchkine like this.
  17. dkmonroe

I was around "back in the day" but I still think that "Prelude" works better as a "prelude" to the album than it does to the album side in general since there really is no unifying concept on side 2 to warrant a "prelude."

Anyway, if you look on Discogs, every LP release in '76 up until the US release clearly shows the Side 2 program preceding Side 1, so the only thing to tell you that "Victim Of Changes" is the first track is the label, and I still find it very easy to believe that someone at Gull messed up the labels and rather than correct that, they altered the album cover on subsequent pressings. I say, give it a try and listen to the album with side 2 first and draw your own conclusions.

Gus Tomato and Pouchkine like this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Only the band members will know for sure, imo. I really have no issue with how it currently sits on CD. I don't have any issue with the running order - it is what it is. I don't personally think this is a big issue,. and in a digital age, putting it in any order you want to is easily done. Even on the original Vinyl, you could play Side 2 before Side 1, no?

19. dkmonroe

It isn't a big issue but when people ask me questions about my opinions on things I tend to respond to them. I'm not on a holy crusade to change the tracklisting, I'm just offering my opinion.

weekendtoy and Pouchkine like this.
  20. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Funny, this is exactly why I don't like the US LP on Janus, and why I prefer the later US pressing on Ovation. I have to have "Prelude" on there.

Gus Tomato, Trace and Pouchkine like this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I'd still be curious to know: if Prelude is supposed to start the album, was it changed on purpose, because someone thought Victim of Changes was a better opener? Or was it accidental ...

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I own that too! With the title translated: "Tristes alas del destino"

What is your opinion about the sound?

23. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

I'm sorry to say that I should not comment on that since I stopped listening to vinyl many years ago (mainly for convenience). I keep them but nothing more. I only listen to CDs that have a good sound. Right now I need to have a good CD of "Tristes Alas del Destino". Effectively has that subtitle printed. :righton:

Sear likes this.
  24. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

First, buy Castle "The Collection" CCSCD213.
    Start your playlist with Prelude-->Island Of Domination, end with Victim Of changes-->Deceiver.
    Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver sounds like a fatality gameplay.
    It's very easy. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  25. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Man, I read myself through the whole thread (okay, I "rushed" through it...), and I get it "The Collection" from 1989 is a big fave here.
    But somehow I lost when and where the Anesini remastered version from the 2012 collection wasn't favourable anymore, maybe the fans of "The Collection" even didn't feel the need to compare it against the Anesini version?
    I don't want to talk Teichuko here, or Repertoire/Snapper or even Koch - I believe you guys when you tell "The Collection" is the best out of all these.
    Still, I'm missing the comparison between "The Collection" and the Anesini remaster.
    Answers anyone?:)