Jukebox at Texas Roadhouse Bar/Restaurant

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joy-of-radio, Feb 24, 2023.

1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident Thread Starter

For as long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with listening to and watching jukeboxes! The ones that spin phonograph records are my favorites. I recall vividly being both amazed and amused in the '80s when I first saw a jukebox system at a restaurant with remote terminals allowing for selection of songs placed at each table! Recently I visited a Texas Roadhouse Bar/Restaurant and took a photo of the jukebox there. While the establishment was bustling with activity, no one paid it any mind for the hour or so I was there. It just sat there silent. Now I wonder what's behind the operation of modern jukeboxes such as this. I'll bet it has no records or CDs in it. I'm guessing it uses some sort of streaming service to access music. Is it a big box with a tiny transistorized amplifier itside? Would someone in the know please detail how this new breed of jukeboxes works?
    [​IMG]

fretter and Razakoz like this.
  2. japhi

japhi Forum Resident

Jeez that thing is ugly!

Grootna, Big Blue, jonwoody and 4 others like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Don't know how these operate. I guess I'll look up Rock-Ola to see if there's any info there.

There's enough spurs on that to Go Box Go!

proust79 and Joy-of-radio like this.
  4. Lonson

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  5. Joy-of-radio

So then, it appears that it has a CD drive that is not intended for public access, and an onboard computer of sorts that rips CDs and stores the resulting files as well as gathers artwork from the Internet to display on its touchscreen. Its price really freaked me out! I would absolutely love to see its internals!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    guestuser and Lonson like this.
  6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

7. Lonson

As evident from the OP yes, probably far fewer individuals than there are customers buying for restaurant chains, etc.

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

9. A Grain of Sand

A Grain of Sand Forum Resident

Internet jukeboxes are common in bars around here. They are no where fancy as that. They store thousands of songs on a computer hard drive, and can fetch many more songs from a mother ship as long as the internet in the establishment is working. They have a kiosk station to do your search, or you can download an app on your phone to access the music.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Is Texas Roadhouse a chain or franchise? Being a relative newcomer to Texas (since 2012), we've discovered quite a few joints- some active, clean and thriving, some downright scary but cool in a historical, old timey way. I didn't know what CFS was until I figured out it was an acronym for a food staple-- "chicken fried steak." There's a place my wife took me to, not terribly far outside of Austin- maybe an hour or so-- that had good food, a stage and garage doors of glass that opened up along the back wall so the whole place became an open air venue-- we went during a weekday for lunch. I would imagine the place would be hopping on some weekends with a band, cheap beers and a parking lot filled with pickup trucks and some good ol boys. Could be fun. I remember the first time I went into the Continental Club here in South Austin- a dark, cave-like place. I figured it might vibe like a biker bar but in actuality, it was all these clean cut guys in cowboy hats two-stepping with ladies. Like a time warp. For a Yankee who lived in NY for a long time, it was refreshingly innocent.

ranch 22b, timind and Joy-of-radio like this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hard drive internally, downloads from a central service like AMI Entertainment, which is used with internet jukeboxes, and powers their back office functions, and dealing with other functions, like supplying music. Not available to home jukeboxes.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

14. Joy-of-radio

Texas Roadhouse is indeed a franchise, and nothing like the places you described, which sound fun! https://www.texasroadhouse.com/about-us

fretter and Bill Hart like this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

There was a really old time hamburger joint here in downtown Austin that was an institution; it was bought, closed and renovated recently as an Italian restaurant. Before that happened I visited and took a photo of a juke box controller- have no idea of vintage, but would guess it was early '50s? Way more primitive looking than the table side selector things I remember from "drive in" restaurants back in the '60s. If anybody knows what the story is on this, I'd be interested:
    [​IMG]IMG_0451 by William Hart, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    jfeldt, jonwoody, dj_w and 4 others like this.
  16. Joy-of-radio

Oh Man! I would loved to have had lunch at that cool place in 1958! What a playlist!

jonwoody, pscreed and Bill Hart like this.
  17. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

Long Live Hut's!

jonwoody and Bill Hart like this.
  18. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Ernest Tubb: Dime at a Time

19. Joy-of-radio

Excellent! :agree:

20. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

japhi, at the risk of being pedantic. you spelled it wrong.
    It should have been ugly with a Capital U (Ugly)

jonwoody, Joy-of-radio and bever70 like this.
  21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

When I was a kid, we never had anything better than a small, table-top record player. The jukebox in the bar was my introduction to bass.

Joy-of-radio and Earthbound2 like this.
  22. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The Blackhawk Museum in Danville CA used to have a nice collection of jukeboxes on display. Link to photos

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  23. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I love Texas Roadhouse food. I’m jonesin’ right about now!

Joy-of-radio and dlokazip like this.
  24. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

I had a nostalgic chuckle at your 'discovery' of the remote terminals in the 80's when they were 30 years old. I'm so old!

You may enjoy this 1950's Wurlitzer restoration:

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  25. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The one jukebox song that I've played the most in my life, by a wide margin: Working For The Weekend.