'Junior Brown' appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rick Bartlett, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

They never separated as far as I know, but I don’t know him personally and he’s not of the stature to give frequent interviews. I did see him around 2005 as a three piece, but I assumed that was more a matter of convenience - he can okay equally well with or without the rhythm guitar. She has a degree in country music (never knew there was such a thing previously!) and is phenomenally talented in her own right. Junior speaks highly of her endurance as a rhythm player. She keeps the best like clockwork, which is very tiring over the course of a set the way most of his songs work.

Old Fart At Play and melstapler like this.
  2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

There was a period when she wasn't part of the touring lineup, which I believe is what fueled those rumors.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  3. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Whenever I'm reminded of him, I think, I should pay more attention to him than I do. Saw him a couple times at festivals and was blown away by his instrumental prowess, and such tues as "My WIfe Thinks Yr Dead" and "Highway Patrol" and "only dance to ernest tubb" are supersmart and charming and well written tunes (not actually sure he wrote them or not). What's his best single lp/cd that a trufan would recommend to a casual interested dabbler?

4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

He recorded "409" (with the Beach Boys on backing vocals) in 1996 for the Beach Boys
    "Stars And Stripes" album, and fortunately a documentary was filmed to coincide with
    the albums release. He's literally on fire, and it's great to see all of the BB's in the studio.
    (This was not too long before Carl passed away).
    At any rate, it blows me away....

5. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Get his
    Greatest Hits.
    (of course)

Brian Doherty likes this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

'Junior' doesn't do many interviews. Here he is 'goofin' on Hank Garland's, Don Rich's guitars....
    Might interest some of you guitar folk..

unclefred, melstapler and sleeptalker like this.
  7. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

This was me.

About 25 years ago (!) some friends of mine at work had tickets to see Junior Brown at the Fine Line in Minneapolis. My tastes have evolved a lot in the last 25 years, but circa 1994 my musical diet was mainly classic rock and heavy metal (and, somewhat incongruously, Pat Metheny). Just to give you some idea: Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer album - about as far away from Junior Brown musically as you can get - had been out for a few years by then but was still in heavy rotation on my office stereo.

So I wasn't at all interested in going, but ended up getting dragged down to the club to see the show anyway. I started the night up in the balcony, nursing a drink and somewhat annoyed...but within about 3 minutes of Junior and his band starting the show I was down in front of the stage, standing at Junior's feet and gaping up in awe as he worked his "guit-steel". I'd been an idiot. This was (and remains) one of the greatest displays of guitar virtuosity I've seen in person! The whole thing - the voice, the brilliant songs, the backing band - was utterly unique and strange and brilliant. I'd never seen anything like it! His surf/Hendrix guitar medley all by itself was worth the price of admission. Genius!

I left the show a huge fan, and I've been one ever since. Junior Brown is a phenomenal, amazing talent, and an absolute must-see live.

8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

That is one freakin' cool story! Right on the f'n money about how great he is.
    He is a mesmerizing guitar player.
    When a player is really great, 'Genre's' don't mean 'diddly squat'.
    Good music is just that.
    Thanks for posting!

dharmabumstead and melstapler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.