Just Bought a Ramsey Lewis 4 Track Tape Dated June 29, 1966 : What Did I Buy?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikeja75, Dec 9, 2022.

1. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I bought a 4 Track tape/reel by Ramsey Lewis, which is dated June 29, 1966 on one of the boxes, from Goodwill.

The tape box is branded as "Audiotape" and notes that it is "Formula 15 Low Noise". One of the tapes has the following handwritten -- you can see this in the pictures on the listing:

1B-File
    4 Track
    Chess Records
    Ramsey Lewis
    6/29/1966

Can anyone help me to understand what it is that I have here? How it can be played (I'd like to convert it to digital)? Any information would be helpful...and if anyone has enough knowledge to venture a guess as to what could be on the tape that would be interesting as well.

According to wikipedia, the sessions for the album Wade In The Water ended on 6/29/2966 -- which is the same date handwritten on the tape. Could this be a tape from the session for that final day or maybe some sort of album master or safety tape? I couldn't find any sessionography for Ramsey Lewis so I don't know what work, if any, was actually recorded on the 29th. I can't tell from the auction listing if I'll be getting one or two tapes.

It's quite a mystery -- and I'm sure there's likely nothing exciting to be found here, but I thought it would be fun to take a chance.

Anyone want to dig in and offer up any theories -- and thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    420JJJazz666, Zeki, Dok and 5 others like this.
  2. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

1/2" tape? (Hard to tell from the pic.)

Edit: Yes, it is.

4. mikeja75

I don’t have it hand yet, so I’m not sure. It should be shipping out to me tomorrow.

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Very interesting, indeed.

It appears that on the date written on the box, Ramsey Lewis Trio played at the 1966 Ravinia Festival in Chicago, Illinois. [Which just happened to be the home of Chess Records...]
    The Ramsey Lewis Trio (Maurice On Drums) Performing At The 1966 Ravinia Festival (Chicago, IL) – Maurice White

I can't tell from the picture or description if the tape is 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch or something else. That would be an important detail in figuring out what kind of machine is required to play it back.

You'll need to put it on a hub to put it on the tape deck. Pro tapes are usually stored without hubs because they are extra bulk and when you're storing hundreds of tapes the cost of storing a hub with each one would be outrageous...

Finally, and this will be obvious on playback, it's possible [although unlikely] that the 4 tracks are recorded as two stereo tracks, not a single 4 track run.

Of course, it's also possible that Joe Shmoe's band recorded over whatever was once on this tape with their own stuff...

Looking forward to hearing more about unravelling this mystery tape!

Good luck with it!!

6. MLutthans

The fine print on the tape box (top pic) indicates half-inch tape.

jmxw and mikeja75 like this.
  7. MLutthans

7c6bc578-c2c6-46c8-b8a1-75fc50ab27efones_12021.jpg

DO NOT BAKE!

mark winstanley and wellhamsrus like this.
  8. mikeja75

Good to know! Thanks. I’ll need to find someone that can get it on a machine to see what’s there to be heard!

9. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That print is too fine for my old eyes to read these days... :sigh:

mikeja75 likes this.
  10. MLutthans

It appears to be splice free, so that's good. Make sure you get somebody who knows how to handle half-inch tape on a pancake.

mark winstanley and jmxw like this.
  11. mikeja75

Duly noted and thanks. It doesn’t mean much to me personally but it’s great information to have.

MLutthans likes this.
  12. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

13. mikeja75

I missed this when you posted your note last night. If the date on the tape is to be believed as accurate, perhaps this tape is a session tape from an early morning rehearsal for this Festival? Maybe they ran through the songs that they were going to be performing at the taping of the TV show. From a date perspective, it seem to tie in better with this program than a final session for an album that they initially began recording two months prior. Great catch!

jmxw and MLutthans like this.
  14. JazzVinyl

JazzVinyl Forum Resident

Did you ever find out what was on this tape?

Dok and BeauZooka like this.
  15. mikeja75

Not yet -- I'm not having much luck finding someone to do a transfer for me. I have one other local guy that I need to contact and then I'll report back.

BeauZooka, JazzVinyl and Dok like this.