“Just get the remaster”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rundfunk, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Correct.

As has been mentioned many times in this forum, but apparently not enough it seems; S Hoffman has said virtually all music recordings since 1930 have used compression during recording. It is needed nearly 100% of the time and is a good thing. Dynamic Compression [some refer to this as Digital Compression during mastering or Dynamic Range Compression] during mastering is never needed and never a good thing (please see 1st line in my signature).

Part of the issue is folks here use the term "Compression" as if it was interchangeable which it is not. Some of that can be chalked up to the idiosyncrasy's of the English language, but not all of it. Seems to me many folks do not understand what Compression during recording is, what compression during mastering is, what dynamic compression is, what file/data compression, and the term compression as it related to lossy music.

For at least several years I only use the term "Dynamic Compression" when I am referring to compression in the mastering phase. Not sure it helps nut my hope is no one will confuse it with compression during recording or the term compressors as it related to recording or live performances.

Dino and xcqn like this.
  2. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

There were some very loud records in the 70's. I've heard they actually fed the tape-machines louder than they could handle. Creating analogue-compression this way. Is it true or were they simply using analogue-compressors?

Always wondered...

Edit: Led Zeppelin and The Who comes to mind.

3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Some of Led Zeppelin's albums (I & II come to mind) are definitely recorded "hot" if that's what you mean. The tape saturation results in some analog distortion, I'm not sure how much compression. If you take a look at the original Diament transfers for those albums, they're not too shabby DR-wise.

4. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Thanks. I'll ignore everything you say!

5. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Thanks, that what i don't get about these albums, They are LOUD but show very good DR.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Where he said this:
    In other words, he's pretty much saying that no one but audio engineers can hear it. That's where he's speaking for everyone, and he's wrong.

7. Grant

Well, it may depend on the music you are buying, but i'm still seeing smashed music.

8. Grant

Of course, but I added that as a little reminder to those who don't realize that there are various types of compression and they all sound different. Too many times the word "compression" is thrown around on this forum, as if it is all the same, and it is all bad.

9. Grant

Even that is a bit wrong on this forum. First, it's all about how it is applied, and the skill of the engineer factors in here. second, the digital compression of all types has greatly improved over the last few years.

10. Grant

A big factor is that the better sounding early CDs came from good tapes, too. Too many times, especially with early compilations, the producer or engineer just used any old tape. That may be because the better tapes could not be obtained, or out of pure laziness.

11. Grant

Fine, but I wasn't talking specifically about YOU. My point is that if I made my personal list, there would be a lot of R&B, and this forum has a way of ignoring most of it. I've been here long enough to know that.

12. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I still don't see it.

If I say "Seems like..." I am implying "Seems like to me..." not "Seems like to everyone...". I've never heard anyone use that phrase in a context that would imply the latter

13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Well, the distortion helps to add to the feeling of "loudness", but both the Diament mastering & the 2014 remasters are not recorded "loud", not sure about the Marino Remasters since I don't have a copy anymore. Here's an example- "Whole Lotta Love" in an editor, Diament mastering:
    [​IMG]
    With the exception of one peak, plenty of headroom. I believe the distortion exists on the session tapes, not the master tape- probably the main reason for the decent DR values despite the distortion. It's ocurring on some tracks (drum track for sure), but not on others. But yes, the overall effect is that you are listening to something really loud, even when the actual volume is not cranked.

xcqn likes this.
  14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

The drums are clipping all over the place and the guitars sounds very loud indeed. Thing is about these, despite being loud and having clipping drums i think they sound awesome!

Must be due to using heavy-compression while tracking and not on the final mix, in other words no compression during mastering.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Yep! The tape saturation basically acts like a form of compression/limiting. And as you said- perfectly fine when used during the session (been used for years on vocals, guitar tracks, bass- you name it), but not so great when used in a heavy-handed way during mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.