Just got my hands on a Marantz 2238B

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BizBork, Sep 26, 2022.

1. BizBork

BizBork Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked it up (for free) from a friend in the area who was having issues with it and ultimately decided to move on. I picked it up and brought it to my local receiver repairman who is confident that he can fix the issue (lots of static coming out of the right channel).

Regardless, I have been using a Marantz 2215B for the past 13ish years (found it on Ebay before the crazy vintage receiver boom). I am curious how much of a difference I am going to notice with the 2238B in my setup, and ultimately will it be a good fit compared to the 2215B.

My setup is as follows: Audio Technica LP120 Turntable (with an AT 540ML Cartridge)->Marantz 2215B->Pro-Ject DS2 Phono Pre*->Polk Signature15 Bookshelf Speakers.
    *I use the DS2 as I feel like it is a really nice improvement over the 2215B Phono Stage--which just comes off a little flat when doing an A/B comparison with the DS2.

I don't really know a ton about Receiver spces but through this form, I've learned a little bit, and I know ultimately it comes down to my ears, but on paper, do you guys think the 2238B is a worthwhile upgrade to the 2215B?

2. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

Congrats on the Marantz. Great price! With the 38B, you will get a bit more power (double from what you now have) which could open you up to a larger selection of speakers to consider. But of course that will matter if you're listening tends to go towards the louder side of things, which will use that extra power. You will also have more control over the sound as the 38B has a decent midrange control along with bass and treble. Not to mention that you can substitute a different amp and use the 38B as a preamp with the main in and preamp out RCA's in the back. You get a a lot more flexibility with the 38B, thats for sure...

Keep in mind, though, that the lower power Marantz's like your 15B are pretty good in their own right so your mileage may vary.

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm jealous. I've only got a 2225 ;)

Let's face it, if you were happy with your 2215, it's only gonna get better! :cheers:

4. BizBork

Appreciate that!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. BizBork

I also noticed that the 38B has a mono switch. Would something like this come in use for Mono records--2014 Beatles box comes to mind.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I've had a 2238b for quite a few years now. It needs a check-up as I've never had it looked at since I purchased from OG owner and it's been out of the loop for a few years. Been using 2252b,a 2235b,and a 2230 the past few years and a 2215 in the garage. I remember liking the 38b but I can't recall having a head to head shootout with the other Marantz models. I'm thinking you'll dig it after a good service.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

best of luck, and cool friend.
    I have a 2235b...love it.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. Michael

a little bit more than 2X the power...big difference!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Not as much more power as you may think to make it audible. It's usually 6dBs difference in power that the difference is noticeable.

Bingo Bongo and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

fair enough, but it's still more... not less....that works for me. I'd rather have a 35 than a 15, but that's just me...thanks.

11. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Capacitor coupled versus direct coupled, big difference in sound, power ratings aside. If you like your 2215b you may or may not like the sound of the 2238b.

Fender Relic likes this.
  12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I have a 2238b and a 2216b and honestly, with most speakers they sound more alike than different. The Marantz house sound is strong in both of them.

13. BizBork

Thanks y'all! I'll keep everyone posted as I should be receiving the 2238B back from service over the weekend.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  14. BizBork

Not totally following this and has put me down a bit of a rabbit hole. Sounds like the 2215B and the 2238B have different builds in terms of Capacitors? In very simple terms, how does this affect playback?

15. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I have a 2238b and I love it but am ready for an upgrade. I picked up a Yamaha AS1200 and though I found it compared favorably in some ways, it didn't have the punchiness of the Marantz so I returned it.

Do you find the Pro-ject phono pre improves upon the Marantz phono stage? I've been thinking about trying out something like that rather than getting a new receiver/amp

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Best Marantz gear, the real ones, built from the beginning of the Marantz Company to 1968. Then Marantz went from the finest regardless of cost, to a mixture of middle of the road to last of the original company's mindset. Marantz post 1968 is best known for Marantz Japan equipment, middle class equipment. Which continued to 1980. Marantz Esotec was the end of that era.

17. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats but we can only IMAGINE it !

18. Marcev

Marcev Sit back, Relax, and Enjoy the Music

As another happy owner of a 2225, no need to be jealous. You have a good vintage receiver in its own right. :agree:

Bingo Bongo and Aftermath like this.
  19. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'm curious who you use to service your components? I'm nearby, (actually in Durham this week at the DUH) and have used The Turntable Doctor to work on my TTs when I couldn't do it myself. But don't know anyone that works on receivers. I like to learn how to do what I can myself, but sometimes I need a helping hand to fix what I can't. (or what I screw up :yikes:)

20. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Capacitor coupled units will typically sound warmer, fuller and direct coupled more neutral. This is of course dependent upon the particular unit, its operating condition, etc so should not be taken as gospel. You can find lots of discussion on this over at AK. Both units should be fully up to correct operating spec before any comparison - these are ~50 years old so may need some attention to perform their best as you’re seeing with the 2238b. All of this contributes to whether your impression of the new unit will consider it to be an upgrade or not.

Also, these units are not all that difficult to work on and some of the basic tools and supplies you need will typically pay for themself in one visit to a “tech.” Good, knowledgeable techs are a dying breed, and I have seen equal parts good vs shoddy work which is what led me to learn to do it myself. It is akin to owning a classic car but having to take it to a mechanic every time it has an issue.

superultramega and Fender Relic like this.
  21. BizBork

Right on! Hopefully the rain isn't too bad, as we're supposed to get some remnants of Ian. I use Mark over at ALR Electronics. He serviced my 2215B a few years back after the Capacitor finally went and did a great job. He was actually recommended to me by Greg (The Turntable Doctor).

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. lazydawg58

Thanks, I'll bookmark that link. Greg does a great job with TTs. I got my first Dual 1219 from him several years ago. Always fair, honest and reliable. :tiphat:

23. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have a 2238b and love the way it sounds. :edthumbs:

Fender Relic likes this.
  24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

25. lazydawg58

Are the last two numbers on a Marantz the Watts per channel? Stupid question, but that's all I remember, in layman's terms that people use to go (back in the 1970s) by when discussing various receivers. Is that still the best gauge for how (good/powerful) an amp/receiver would be? Are there other more important specs one should look for that give a better idea of what you have?