Just got the Ortofon 2M Blue...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Man at C&A, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple of days ago I posted as I'd damaged on expensive Jico SAS stylus and was disillusioned with this. I knew that I couldn't afford another SAS as they're rare and discontinued now.

I thought to myself 'I'm losing track of that I'm a music and record lover first and foremost' and that I haven't got the knowledge, money and inclination to go down the audiophile and upgrades route. A lot of that just baffles me! So I decided to research and buy the best cartridge I can afford.

The Ortofon 2M Blue arrived this morning and rather than set it up on my Thorens, which is great, but I've never felt it was for me, I'd set up on my humble Technics SL-2000, nowhere near the best Technics, but I always liked it a lot.

I found it very easy to mount the Blue and get it aligned correctly using the Ortofon protractor. I then put on an original UK Creedence Cosmos Factory LP and... Oh no! It sounds like crap!

Luckily it was just a dull sounding pressing. I've been playing all kinds of records all afternoon, I'm surrounded by vinyl!

I love this cartridge. The tracking is fantastic. Records I thought were worn out aren't. The surface noise is minimal and without the loss of top end detail. It's very powerful too. An original stereo UK pressing of Help! that has been played many many times on many record players since 1965 is blowing me away with the depth and clarity at present. No distortion on Yesterday. Stunning.

Just wanted to post this as not many people I know will be interested!

Thanks to the few people who replied with advice in my previous thread. I decided to go for the simplest option. I'm pleased I did.

2. Man at C&A

Gone straight for Rubber Soul stereo, again on a UK first pressing. Considering these are the much criticised and now remixed mixes, they are both sounding very impressive. I've always liked them. I didn't hear these in mono on clean vinyl until the mono box.

3. Arclight73

Arclight73 Forum Resident

Your impressions of the 2m Blue mirror mine. I swapped out a 2m Silver which I found very irritating. Way to bright and not much bottom end. The 2m Blue corrected all of this as well as producing less surface noise.

My wife who was very skeptical of this purchase clearly heard the difference as well and became a believer. Now if I can only convince to her let me get the 2m Bronze. :D

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Stick with the Blue- it sounds better.

Gramps Tom, drum_cas, h46e55x and 4 others like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

This’ll probably get me burned at the stake by Ortofon fans, but... the Blue is the only cart in the 2M line that I even like. :sigh:

Gramps Tom, DoF, Aftermath and 6 others like this.
  6. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I have a Blue on my 1210 and I think they are a good match. I've been very happy with mine. Enjoy!

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It is a nice cartridge indeed. Enjoy.

Gramps Tom, Man at C&A and HiFi Guy like this.
  8. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

The best is yet to come- it will sound even better after a few weeks of regular use.

9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Exactly.

Man at C&A and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I have some needle drops I did with the Blue some years back, and they sound really good! I wore it out and moved to the Bronze and Black, but I have mostly fond memories of it. I might get another if I wear out what I currently have, as the price sure is right on the Blue!!

DrZhivago and Man at C&A like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Curious as to why that is?

12. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m hoping to upgrade from a 2M Red to a 2M Blue soon. I know that I can pull the red stylus off and then put the blue one on. It looks easy in videos. But what else do I need to do? Adjust the tracking force? Double-check the azimuth, overhang, and other alignment? Change the gain settings on my phono preamp? I’ve never upgraded a stylus before, so I really don’t know what I’m doing.

13. SandAndGlass

Take the red off and put the blue on, just like the video's show. Nothing else is required.

14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

When the time comes you can buy a Blue replacement stylus and use it with the Black/Bronze body, I liked this little Frankenstein.

SandAndGlass and CBackley like this.
  15. CBackley

Should the azimuth be correct, assuming it’s correct now?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Yes, assuming the cantilever azimuth on your new Blue is correct from the Ortofon factory. In my case it was. Plug and play, and enjoy better tracking and FR. :righton:

17. CBackley

Thanks!

18. Cyclone Ranger

‘Cuz the Red kinda sucks, the Bronze is just okay for the money, and the Black is a love-it-or-hate-it kinda cart?

But most ppl seem to like the Blue.

Szeppelin75 and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

That makes me even better about going this route. Thanks!

Day_Tripper2019 likes this.
  20. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Own the Red and will get the Blue soon.

The Mono is really nice, too.

CBackley likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

I've had this for a few days now and have played a lot of different records on it.

The Beatles Help! and Rubber Soul LPs I mentioned earlier sounded spectacular.

I've also played:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - UK original
    Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Study In Brown - recent DeAgostini pressing
    U2 - The Unforgettable Fire - UK original
    The Velvet Underground - Loaded - UK original
    June Christy - Off Beat - UK 1961 stereo original - this sounded incredible
    Brian Eno - Another Green World - UK original - so did this!

I've always played some 45s and bits of other LPs.

This cartridge is tracking everything from 50s and 60s mono LPs (The Who - My Generation on Brunswick rocked the house!) to new LPs (so did Wide Awake by Parquet Courts) incredibly well. I'm not noticing inner groove distortion or excessive surface noise. I'm finding it engaging to listen too with great detail but not clinical. It has incredible power for records that need it! I certainly think this will suit early The Who and Hendrix as well as punk 45s as much as it suits an immaculate album with intricate production, like What's Going On, along with delicate music like Peggy Lee and June Christy. My initial impression is that it's a very impressive all rounder. It doesn't like very worn out old mono singles, but nothing does!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Szeppelin75 and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. Man at C&A

When I get myself working again and can afford it, I'm tempted by the mono. I have many mono records.

The Acid Mouse and clhboa like this.
  24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would suggest double checking all of the VTF, VTA, and alignment stuff after any stylus change, even an exact replacement, because there can always be individual variances. You’ll probably find it’s on, but it’s good to make sure.

clhboa and CBackley like this.
  25. Cyclone Ranger

Judging by all the likes I got for that comment, a surprising number of ppl seem to feel similarly? Hmm. :idea:

HiFi Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.