Just got the Ortofon 2M Blue...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Man at C&A, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I love my 2M blue. Upgraded from the red. Big difference.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think your logic adds up, given your subsequent explanation. I would have expected most objections to be on behalf of the Bronze, but you probably saved it by saying your objection is based on what you get for the price and not that you actually dislike the cartridge.

I will say the Bronze is the only one I am really interested in checking out, but I’m not convinced it’s worth the price, either, especially considering I can get a OM or Pro S with OM40 for considerably less...

DoF likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd have liked the Bronze ideally, but the price gap between the Blue and Bronze was too much, especially the price of replacement styluses.

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

2M Blue is a very solid cart. Bronze as well.

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Fixed it for you.

Livewire91 and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Lol. What don't you like about the Bronze? I found it to be smooth, neutral, and a pretty good tracker.

Livewire91 and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It was a solid tracker, I just didn't like it tonally.

Livewire91 and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

+1. It’s ‘just okay’, yet costs $440.

But, there’s a lot of very good competition in the $500-ish cart segment nowadays.

Livewire91, Echoes Myron and HiFi Guy like this.
  9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks. What all should I check? Azimuth. Overhang. VTF. (My TT doesn't allow for changes to VTA) Anything else?

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Mainly I’d be concerned that the cantilever is lined up straight (that’s what I would think is most likely to be off), so along with azimuth and overhang, also that it lines up at the null points.

11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I went from a 2m red to a 2m blue (stylus only) recently on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality with this stylus - specifically clarity, tighter focus, better tracking. My one complaint (if I'd even call it that) is that my receiver needs to be turned up several db louder since switching to this stylus. I don't know how much if any of this is attributable to break-in time (I've not played with this stylus for more than 4-5 hours total max) but there's definitely a difference. For what it's worth, I kept my tracking force the same since switching (approx 1.7). Is there any sense in dialing this up a bit?

CBackley likes this.
  12. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Your ears never lie.

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I had the same experience and commented in one of those 2M Blue threads about it. Seemed to me it was nothing suspicious since the sound was clearer and more focused right away after Red.

14. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

I do not get all the 2M hate, had a Red and thought it really enjoyable. ( Had Hama SL at the time.):D

Gramps Tom and Soundslave like this.
  15. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

That is the only difference; cart is identical. Red is bonded and the Blue is a nude stylus.
    Had to turn up my amp also.

In answer to your question, yes we do have Hamburgers and Fries in England, but we call French Fries "chips"!

PS. Forgive the lateness of my reply.

SandAndGlass and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I like Rega carts.

I have the Bronze/Black cart, which share the same cartridge body also.

The nude stylus makes a huge difference over the red, which is all together unimpressive.

Where the Blue is a nice sounding stylus/cart.

Soundslave likes this.
  17. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Have the Rega Exact, it is my favourite of the lot.

SandAndGlass and Echoes Myron like this.
  18. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I have a Jico Sas on my TT thats probably reaching the end of its life. I have another one as a spare but after that what? Like you said theyre way too expensive. I thought about the Ortofon blue. So glad you wrote this. It will be my next cartridge purchase when the Jico dies.

Steve Baker and Man at C&A like this.
  19. Szeppelin75

Plus the coolness factor is very high on the awesome looking cartridge.

Day_Tripper2019 and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not going to claim that it's as good as the Jico, but a couple of months after getting it I'm very happy. I collect 60's records a lot, many 45s too, and I find the Ortofon 2M blue a better all rounder than the Jico SAS, which is incredible on near perfect condition records, but also very harsh on even slight imperfections. It always felt like crackle and wear were front and centre, which began to get on my nerves. The Jico SAS was incredible on most records though. Personally I don't consider it worth the money the stylus goes for now though, even if I did I can't afford it or be bothered with having to order from Japan. The 2M is perfect for my use, which is a lot and using many varied records, from 1950s 45s and albums to new vinyl.

SandAndGlass and Jimmy Disco D like this.
  21. Szeppelin75

My thoughts exactly. The Jico SAS i love. But i got them at good price two years ago from Japan, now theyre way over the budget. Unless they come down in price the Blue will have to be. Always been curious about it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Szeppelin75

Thats right on the Jico. If a record has imperfections, surface noise, clicks or pops you will hear it allright.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So do I. I had the Exact on the Rega RP6. It is a wonderful cart, although I do think that not being able to change out a stylus on a MM cart is a serious drawback.

The Ortofon Bronze/Black I have on the vintage Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-160 Super. I like how you can not only easily replace the stylus when worn, but how you can use many of the different Ortofon stylus', including the Blue and have a completely different cartridge.

The Black is still my favorite stylus overall, very organic sounding. But I use it with a Decware ZP3 tube phono preamp on a all tube system.

24. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Going from the bonded AT100e to the nude AT120e same deal. Huge improvement. I don't use any of my bonded carts anymore except the el cheapo CF3600le LP Gear cart...which is kind of amazing sounding for what it is.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I knew you guys called fries, "chips" but what do you guys call potato chips in England?

Andy Saunders likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.