Just got the Outer Limits on DVD should I send it back?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by inperson, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I would like them to do a seamless branching version with both. That way you can choose.

dougotte likes this.
  2. There’s a German Blu-day but I have never been able to confirm if it is region free. It’s $25 bucks at Amazon better than the insane $200 that the Criterion is demanding.

inperson and uzn007 like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I dunno. My gut feeling is that the studios don't care about this crap and are fine with only making them available via streaming. I actually mastered some of the B&W Saint episodes for Carlton in HD, but it was 13-14 years ago. As I said elsewhere, we were knocking out 2-3 episodes in 10 hours, so it's not time-consuming nor expensive to do, and the film elements are fairly pristine.

Mannix and Mission: Impossible are color, have tons of cuts, and are very tough shows. I would guess 10 hours per show in mastering, plus there's a ton of episodes for both series, and it would take forever to do. On the low side, it'd be $5000+ per episode, roughly a million bucks just in video mastering. And then the audio would have to be restored. If it were up to me, I'd say "sure, the more the merrier! Remaster everything and release it as limited-edition Blu-rays!" But since Star Trek: Next Generation did not sell well, I think Viacom is reluctant to try that again.

4. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Too bad your HD Saint project was never released. However, I ripped all my DVD episodes to 480p and they scale quite nicely on my new 4K television. I'm not sure I'd even bother buying an HD box set, much as I love The Saint.

I agree that old TV series will eventually disappear on physical media. They're perfect for on-demand streaming, as opposed to the manufacturing and shipping of big, expensive box sets with way too many discs for most consumers to deal with.

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member Thread Starter

What's the cover look like? Link?

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Another old 60s series that just got a Blu-ray treatment is THE TIME TUNNEL in the UK, but it's region-free. Looks great! But then even the DVDs looked pretty good.

7. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

This is true, but it probably has to do with the fact that doing new transfers for an entire series is quite a lengthy and expensive process that may not be worth it for the studios in some cases. In other cases, if the series was shot on tape instead of film, then a Blu Ray upgrade would be pointless because it won’t look any better.

Michael likes this.
  8. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I have both. Get the blu ray.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

or studios like SHOUT just want to have more money in their greedy little fingers...They are the leaders of not much BD and mostly all DVD on TV! it sucks...take for example Green Acres, Leave It To Beaver...they should have been BD sets...

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is the beauty of film: it can generally go up to 4K without any loss. Although pre-1953 films will have the problem of being 1.37 in a 1.78 widescreen world.

11. Michael

Dear valued Kino Lorber customer,

We are currently in the process of obtaining a new master of the OUTER LIMITS episode “Soldier” which has slightly distorted audio during ten minutes of the episode. We will be repressing this disc so that future pressings of THE OUTER LIMITS Season Two will have the corrected audio. If you have purchased a disc with the problematic audio and would like to receive a replacement, please do the following:

1) Send an e-mail to [email protected]

2) Write “OUTER LIMITS Exchange” in the Subject Line

3) In the body of the e-mail, provide your name and mailing address; and indicate whether you purchased the DVD or Blu-ray edition.

It will likely be early 2019 when the replacement discs are mailed (due to the manufacturing slow-down during the holiday season).

Thank you for your understanding and your continued support of Kino Lorber Studio Classics

has anyone got any answers yet from KINO LORBER?

12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Nope.

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

wonder what's going on. I didn't even get an acknowledgement from the email I sent back in December...

14. HGN2001

I look at it this way. There's a flaw in "Soldier". If Kino-Lorber did nothing, there would still be a flaw in "Soldier". But they said that if you contact them, they'll send you a fixed disc. They haven't yet, so we're no worse off than if they'd done nothing. If they do send something, so much the better.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

I'm sick and tired of spending money on mistakes...They need to fix this. I'm trying to see your point, but I have to respectfully disagree...

Mr Bass likes this.
  16. dougotte

Someone just posted the following on blu-ray.com:
    "I heard back from Kino. This was their reply:

'If you sent us a request for replacement, we have you in our system. The error has been corrected and new discs are being manufactured and we hope to send out replacements in about two weeks.

Thank you for your patience,

Kino Lorber'"

uzn007 likes this.
  17. HGN2001

I'm patient. I haven't even watched more than one episode on the Season 2 set.

18. dougotte

I haven't even finished Season 1 yet!

schugh likes this.
  19. Michael

anyone hear anything since January?
    any further news?

20. dougotte

On blu-ray.com, a poster contacted Kino and was advised the replacements should be sent "soon". I've been watching other episodes on the set in the meantime.

I was a little disappointed in the extras. It's mostly old things, but there are a couple of short recent clips. I was hoping they'd do a comprehensive documentary or two. But, I keep reminding myself to appreciate just having the episodes in HD.

I notice that the volume is much lower than any other BD audio, especially compared to other 2-channel discs I own, such as 1940s era movies. Has anyone else noticed this?

21. Michael

thanks for the info...I haven't watched my set yet.

22. Michael

well it's APRIL and I still haven't heard a thing? anyone get a replacement BD yet?

23. dougotte

It's not soon yet!

24. Michael

huh?

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why do you wanna s-

:doh:

Ohhhh...you lost control of the vertical and the horizontal on your set, didn't you...? :shrug: Maybe somebody else better tell 'im...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.