Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Very true.

2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

3. the_doctor

the_doctor Forum Resident

I've no issue with anyone finding him a 'poor' artist but does anyone really think he 'hoodwinked a gullible public'? Why are these two tied together? He writes catchy pop, has an everyman personality that the press love to accentuate, and people usually like that combination - no great conspiracy behind it. He also rose up fairly organically (no X Factor, Disney child star background etc.) as far as I'm aware.

I think Dan Brown is a terrible author but I don't think he hoodwinked anyone. The public just like an easy read...

4. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

He’s pretty good, but he’s no Bobby Sherman.

6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

That's more like it!! :edthumbs:

Mooserfan likes this.
  7. serj

serj Forum Resident

I tried to listen to him recently and I couldn't not stand his voice. Some kind of a boring goat crying for love. My wife also can not stand him and she is not fond of rock music like most of us. I guess she is more objective but she has the same opinion as me:). I already wrote that he is almost unknown in Russia. And when I watched the Yesterday movie I thought that he is a fictional character :)

The late man, Cool Chemist and DTK like this.
  8. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I have just fallen in love with his album Divide and want to get it on Vinyl, but it's sold out like everywhere. What are the odds it will be repressed soon?

9. manco

manco Forum Resident

What is it about the 2010s that have given us such mediocre 'pop artists'? We used to get a few great ones, now we can't even get one.

IanM007 likes this.
  10. manco

manco Forum Resident

Yeah but Ed can't exactly show a list of his 10 best immortal songs on a piece of paper and do a *mic drop*. I don't know a single one of his songs.

11. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Neither do I, but if he'd done a RSD this year, it would've outsold Fart Pepper by 1000x.

12. Signed DG

Signed DG Dune buggy rentals

A human-potato hybrid with a dog-ravaged wig stuck on top, then auto-tuned and aggressively marketed.

13. manco

manco Forum Resident

The saddest and most tragic thing is that I know he's part of the fake entertainment juggernaut(includes Marvel Comic Universe) and nobody notices except for a few of us screaming in the wind.

Umbari, Bowland, Signed DG and 2 others like this.
  14. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Although one could argue that "Galway Girl" is much better than "Space Oddity."
    Good luck finding someone who remembers that old track anyway.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  15. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to the Palace Brothers this afternoon. Critically acclaimed apparently. Woeful vocals.

I can see why Ed Sheeran sold so many records. There really is a terrible lack of competiton.

16. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Never paid too much attention to him honestly so I've just listened to a few tracks.
    While I can understand the appeal, especially to younger people, it mostly sounds quite generic and not that different from most of the stuff that you hear today. Not too bad but rather bland overall.
    Also typical of today is how he's sold as a "singer-songwriter" when he seems to write most of his stuff with other people.

Cool Chemist likes this.
  17. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Pick your fighter.;)

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like him & I'm happy to see him being successful....but don't have any real interest in listening to him beyond what I hear on the radio.

19. Signed DG

Signed DG Dune buggy rentals

I got talking to his manager (or one of them?) in a London pub a few years back - even he didn’t rate Sheeran’s music very highly.

barnaby likes this.
  20. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Just who do you think the OP is?:D;)

21. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Playing 10 minutes walk from my front door as I write this. Happy to spend a quiet night in doing other stuff.

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

As someone who digs plenty of Marvel stuff, what about it is "fake entertainment" if I may ask? lol

Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo, even Harry Styles' solo work, are all decent. I have found the world of pop music, while not my thing per say, to have plenty of talent and filled with enjoyable music

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    Man at C&A and MikeManaic61 like this.
  23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It is probably music made for the demographic that doesn't frequent online forums willed with 60 year old dudes arguing over who drummed on Old Brown Shoe :laugh: it has it's place, I am no Ed fan or anything but he has talent and I respect his songs and songwriting for what its intention is, and he knows his way around a fretboard

The late man and JohnJ like this.
  24. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

to this day i don't think it was an ordinary cold

Ian S likes this.
  25. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

so he’s not to your taste, and you are waving your Zimmer frame at him in protest?

MikeManaic61 and skyblue17 like this.