Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I saw Ed live a few times early on. He was already playing large venues, I saw him at Radio City Music Hall and then Madison Square Garden. What impressed me so much about Ed then was his ability to capture the audience. This was a group of excited young women, mostly, who would happily sing along to the songs where it was welcomed, but when Ed would intro a song asking that things stay a little quieter, you could hear a pin drop.

Ed's music may not be perfect, or for everyone, but he is one of many that is a gateway into more music. I've been laughed at a couple times for mentioning how being part of a communal experience like seeing someone like Ed in concert can be influential, especially young music fans, but I'll keep saying it. Going to a concert like that makes people want to be around music, and I don't see how that can ever be a bad thing.

Anyway. Ed's been successful writing for himself and others for over a decade now, so it can't all be luck.

2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

He’s no different from many many million selling artist since recording began. Just cause ya sell a lot doesn’t mean you are good. You have broad appeal

3. Signed DG

Signed DG Dune buggy rentals

No no, Ed Sheeran is objectively schiit and this is scientifically measurable.

Ryan Lux and Greenalishi like this.
  4. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The boring old farts on this music forum would be singing Sheeran's praises if his career had been in the 1960s and 1970s.

5. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

I didn’t like his early stuff but I think he has evolved. He sings and writes catchy tunes, lyrics you can hear and words that most can relate to. He tells a story in most of his songs, I wouldn’t go out of my way to see him in concert but I like him, he’s earned his stripes. He comes across as the boy next door, likeable and relatable, and doesn’t take himself too seriously.

I especially love “Castle On The Hill” “Nancy Mulligan” “Galway Girl” “Happier” and the sad song “Supermarket Flowers” which I understand he wrote about his Nan in his Moms words.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  6. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

He's not very good. A few of his songs are good, but he never makes great ones and doesn't excel at anything. But he's a solid acoustic guitar player and writer and, when I think about it, his voice is quite pleasant, unlike most male voices I hear.

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Ed has broken another UK chart record.

Ed Sheeran breaks ANOTHER Official Charts record, becomes first artist with 4 albums to spend a year in the Top 10

8. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

No, as he would never have gotten a foothold in the 60s and 70s.

Bowland likes this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Unlike forum favourites, Badfinger and The Monkees...:D:D

JohnJ likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bit unfair, regardless of who played on them and wrote them, The Monkees have some of the best pop records ever recorded.

Zerox and Bowland like this.
  11. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

A lot of incredibly bad records were made in the 60s and 70s, a lot of them incredibly successful as well.

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So Ed's just carrying on a tradition?

13. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Possibly, I haven’t heard any of his albums in full and the songs that I have heard are not really to my tastes.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

As always, its purely subjective as to whether Ed's music is good or not, but there is no denying his popularity,and by all accounts he's a really nice, down to earth bloke. Personally I find his music a bit too MOR for my taste but hey,he's doing and achieving something that I could never do so I'm not going to criticise him for doing that.

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I hear he goes to church, loves his mum, helps little old ladies across the road and gives money to charity! On that basis he's quite good.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Chemically altered

Hmm...CSN, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Simon and Garfunkel, Ed Sheeran, Bob Dylan...

Oh, yeah, he fits right in. :sigh:

Man at C&A and Zerox like this.
  17. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

I just wish he would buy a comb o_O

Chemically altered likes this.
  18. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

he’s made 4 albums that are better than half of what The Beatles made - and there was four of them!

19. Chemically altered

No comment. :laugh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't even particularly want my pop and rock stars down to earth and nice guys. People should be decent anyway, but I want my pop stars not to look like the guy down the road. I want charisma and personality. I want Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Madonna, Prince etc. I know not many people are on that level, but Ed is so exceptionally popular I'd expect something more special from him, at least something more than average.

Apart from not being able to tolerate Shape of You, I've nothing against Ed Sheeran really. He has talent and has done very well, but it's all so flat and mundane.

21. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I do not really care for Ed Sheeran's music and Ruth has her radio tuned to The Beat 95 so I do hear it. That being said Ed has sales and radio success but he also seems to have the live thing going on. A few years back he played London, Ontario near me. I did not go but apparently he hung out in a local bar talking to fans most of the day of the show. He gets points for that.

bob60 likes this.
  22. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

Voted "mediocre" although that is a little harsher than I feel, but it was the closest option. Basically I think he's fine, just a kind of standard artist in his lane, and his phenomenal success is a bit bewildering to me because it suggests he's a lot better than I think he actually is.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

He is likeable but I am not a fan of the music and find the 21st century male singer songwriter pool pretty shallow compared with the classic troubadour era. It's the women making the innovations. The men who are stuck in the past. But then I am ancient and his wares are not exactly meant for me.

Jim Moray (one example that springs to mind) is a far more interesting artist yet virtually unknown outside UK folk circles but he didn't have the "common touch" and was more of the tradition than a confessional composer. Moray was blending folk with glam, prog and hip hop influences the best part of a decade before. More like a folk Steven Wilson than a pop star. Sam Lee (his album produced by Bernard Butler is worth hearing) has stepped into that ground in many ways but he is more of a media personality than an artist. Not enough Pop in the stew for crossover let alone mass market success.

There was also an Ed Sheeran shaped industry hole in 2011 just as there was a Coldplay shaped hole in 2000. There is no sin in having good career timing and being likeable is the one commercial asset you really can't do without as a singer songwriter that wants to go massive. People have to relate and he is enormously relatable to men and women alike.

Bowland and bob60 like this.
  24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Thank goodness you’re around to let them know.

BluesOvertookMe and AudioEnz like this.
  25. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident