Just how good is Ed Sheeran?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cool Chemist, Jan 14, 2022.

1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Your post gives you zero credibility...

2. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Unlike her parents and grandparents, my daughter has almost no strong opinions when it comes to music. Except for Ed Sheeran. She absolutely HATES Ed Sheeran, which I have to laugh at because even though I’m sure that I’ve heard his songs before I have absolutely no recollection of any of them or what they sound like.

3. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

waterman seems to suggest that radio wouldn’t play Steps because it’s run by men who want to play KISS … dunno what radio he’s listening to!

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

How many RIAA diamond singles does Jason Donovan have? How many BPI 10x platinum albums does he have? How is he a world class act when he hasn't ever even charted in the US?

5. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Out of all Waterman's crummy acts I do actually like Steps, they are fun and the girls are beautiful.

I was only joking To quote Rod Stewart!

6. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Worst Game of Thrones character ever.

Chemically altered likes this.
  7. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I may have posted this before but If I did,I can’t find it. I’d class him as harmless. I happened to see him live around the time of his first album-he was 3rd or 4th on the bill at a festival. I remember thinking he talked to the audience too much, that he was operating in a musical idiom which didn’t particularly interest me but that he was obviously talented and quite individual in his style. I don’t think he’s managed to live up to that early potential but I don’t begrudge him his success. Seems a fairly nice lad, too.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Music for soccer moms.
    Which is seemingly a big market.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  9. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They're Steptastic! :rolleyes:

Bowland likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Lisa Scott-Lee :love:

11. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

By the looks of this poll, he's not too good or well respected. Perhaps the poll result represents the age group of the pollsters. Not many millennials here. Lol.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

so will Ed Sheeran overcome yet another plagiarism lawsuit? He won the previous one for Shape of You copyright.
    Personally I don't see enough similarities to justify calling it plagiarism. Maybe one song influenced or inspired the other.

Martin Gaye (Let's Get It On") vs Ed Sheeran (Thinking Out Loud)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    LilacTeardrop likes this.
  13. Zerox

Zerox Forum Resident

I just saw this on the news. I wasn't aware of the Sheeran song until then but played back to back they certainly share a few traits. As to whether it's enough to win a court case, well that's a bit of a blurred line...

AndrewK likes this.
  14. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

below is a message Ed recorded last year when he won the previous lawsuit.

Dealing with a lawsuit recently. We won and I wanted to share a few words about it all x

15. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

this guy Rick Beato comparing Thinking Out Loud vs Let's Get It On

Modfather likes this.
  16. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Whilst somewhat distasteful, your point is a valid one. [Jason] Donovan was a pretty boy pop dancer/singer, springboarding off soap opera fame, with an entirely manufactured sound by Pete [Waterman] and his two associates. Can Jason Donovan even strum a few acoustic chords? I'm not sure, looks more like a prop in his old videos.

Love him or loathe him, it cannot be denied Ed Sheeran is a musician, who has achieved phenomenal coverage and sales over the last decade it feels now, and any time I have managed to catch some live footage of him in action, he looks and sounds like a competent, well practiced performer. Collaborating with Miss Swift and gaining exposure into the huge and lucrative US market was a seriously smart business move either by him or his team, the likes of which we haven't really seen since Phil Collins stepped out beyond the drum kit and opened his mouth :)

17. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

I mean, c'mon, the bloke's a one man Invasion pretty much at this stage! Impressive :tiphat:

seaisletim likes this.
  18. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

:eek: :laugh: Wait til boomers on here find out his supporting act in the US is DYLAN :magoo: :-popcorn: :nyah:

19. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

May I chime in? :D
    I think Ed Sheeran is talented enough to be a pop star. He can sing, he can play his guitar, he's good at using the loop pedal, he's also a pretty competent singer-songwriter. Apart from his tame music, that should be enough.

AndrewK likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

When played back to back, the rhythmic arrangement can be heard as being similar. But melodically, the two songs are so far apart that all the times I’ve heard the Sheeran song on its own, I never once even remotely thought of Let’s Get It On; two completely different songs.

DeRosa and AudioEnz like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Mediocre. He’s no Sam Smith. Oh wait….. :D

Zerox and lordcat like this.
  22. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Wow. A double snooze fest.

23. A-Tone

A-Tone camera shy

I've heard a few of his tunes (so I've been told) in public places, they give me the same feeling I always get when someone walks into a pub with an acoustic guitar on their back... I just think "please.....no!"

In saying that, fair play to the guy. He's on top of the world, making a shed load of cash and having a good time with it all... probably.

24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I didn't vote. Can't judge his talent because it's not my place, and I avoid his music. Anybody entertaining an audience for 2 hrs night after night is doing something right. He brings joy to people.

25. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

That would depend upon someone's idea of "good".

Bowland likes this.