'Just One More Thing'--- Favourite Columbo Episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ahh yeah! That was a funny episode, you get the impression that they will be seen together.
    Finally, a glimpse of Mr. and Mrs. Columbo, but it never happens.
    Yeah, good episode too.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I grew up with Columbo in the 70's as a child, as it was my Dad's favorite tv series....I own all the episodes on dvd, and I'm currently watching At Dawn's Early Light. Patrick McGoohan was impressive.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes. Maybe the worst show ever. They are added as a free bonus on a few of the discs. That’s even too expensive. Well, you get my drift!:D

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

They are the only episodes I've seen on the Columbo box.
    I'd give them a watch, but not at that silly' price.
    Keen, but not THAT keen!

5. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I absolutely loathe that episode, as the three main characters are all creeps and you hate all of them. And I have never been able to stand Brenda Vaccaro! I'm not especially fond of Tyne Daly, either.

Jrr and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  6. I watched the William Shatner episode yesterday where he plays a TV show detective. A strange episode where at times Shatner was leading Columbo right to him as the prime suspect. Shatner was hammy and excellent as usual, and he is one of the few murderers that Columbo appears to have some sympathy for. The victim was one of the least sympathetic in the entire series (and her husband was not much better). Good chemistry between Shatner and Falk.

Dissidence, Shawn, Paul Gase and 3 others like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I like both the Shatner episodes (the other is Butterfly In Shades Of Grey from the 80’s) and feel they are among the best, for reasons you cite. It was neat that when I attended an event in Hollywood where Falk and his wife gave a two hour seminar on his experience doing Columbo, Shatner was a guest. Instead of Shatner having a giant ego, which I would expect, during Q&A when people were giving Shatner questions not relevant to Columbo, he politely reminded folks he was only there to address questions regarding Columbo. Was a very fun evening! Falk showed a 45 minute segment of his favorite moments.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Very interested to know what were Falk's favourite Columbo moments. Do you remember? Please share!

Shawn and johnsiddique like this.
  9. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I'm watching the series now, having really not seen much of it. In the 70s, I didn't watch a lot of episodic television as I was into sports. So these are all new to me. I'm just starting season 4 and saw a good one last night with Dick Van Dyke. Did the shows all become 2 hours at one point? I kind of like them better at 90 minutes with less filler. Anyway, one thing I laugh it is how all of these very intelligent and accomplished murderers, never tell Columbo, I have nothing to say to you, speak to my lawyer. Of course then there wouldn't be a show as the bantering is what makes it.
    Also, a question regarding the ABC revival episodes. I've never seen them. Are they any good or pale imitations?

10. Wildest cat from montana

That Dick Van Dyke episode was very good. Always liked him taking on a serious role.

As for the later Columbos...not nearly as good.

Dissidence likes this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

From the excellent Columbophile website, describing some of the in-jokes within the Shatner episode as it related to Peter Falk’s own relationship with Universal at the time:

“So what about the abundance of in-jokes peppered throughout that poke fun at Peter Falk’s own relationship with Universal? There’s certainly no shortage of them and it’s crystal clear that the Ward Fowler character – the highly-paid, Emmy Award-winning star of the most successful detective drama on TV – is the Columbo universe equivalent of Falk himself.

Falk had an often fraught relationship with network and studio execs over his penchant for perfection, which resulted in endless re-shoots, with budgets and time schedules continually blown. He played hardball when it came to renegotiating his contract – never more so, it seems, than between seasons 5 and 6. After being prepared to hang up the raincoat forever at the end of Last Salute to the Commodore, Falk was eventually tempted back by one of the highest-ever TV pay cheques of $300,000 per episode (the equivalent of $1.35m today).

So that scene in the restaurant early on, when Sid and Claire are discussing the future of Detective Lucerne, and Fowler’s wage demands, with studio execs, is very likely not far off the actual conversations that took place about Columbo and Falk.

“It’s crystal clear that the Ward Fowler character is the Columbo universe equivalent of Peter Falk himself.”

“Who does Ward Fowler think he is?” asks one exasperated studio stooge. “As a representative of this studio, I will not stand for this precedent. There is no actor in the business who is irreplaceable.” His flustered colleague chimes in: “Ward Fowler is not the first actor on this network to win an Emmy!”

The Emmy dig is unmistakably aimed at Falk, who won back-to-back awards in 1975-76 for his portrayal of Columbo. Therefore Claire’s defence of the wage increase must have had real Universal execs not knowing whether to laugh or cry at how close to home she was hitting. “Without Ward Fowler there isn’t going to be any next year for this show,” she says. “Ward Fowler is the show.”

The good-natured barbs continue later in a conversation between Columbo and Sid about Fowler’s new contract. “Paying an actor that kind of money is insanity,” Sid growls. “I think they [the studio] should have turned him down. I think he would have folded.”

dee, Shawn, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Falk also had a falling out with the studio early in the series run.
    He had been promised an opportunity to direct an episode but the studio was stalling.
    Falk disappeared for awhile throwing production into chaos but he got an episode to direct.

Shawn and Jrr like this.
  13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Spotty, but there are some gems. Same when they rebooted the series later in the 80’s. Some stinkers but some very good ones too. That is one thing I do remember when I went to that Columbo seminar. Peter was pretty upset that ABC wasn’t promoting his recently done episode Murder With Too Many Notes. He asked for a show of hands as to whether we were even aware there was a new episode and I recall that few did. The thing is, imo, it was a lousy episode. Actually, and unfortunately, the last two were pretty awful. I still try and watch them from rime to time but the stories are just not interesting to me and he seemed off in the final one. Given his age, pretty understandable. Still, he left a lot of episodes to love!

14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You know, I mentioned one in the above post but strangely I don’t remember too much but will try and think on it. He was very friendly, and his wife (who we know was in a few episodes….though I never though she was much of an actress, and pretty awful with over acting in one of the last episodes that had her framing her husband for murder). I had brought a very expensive import box set laserdisc that had all of five episodes (oh boy, and all for the low cost of $350!) for him to sign, which he did so graciously. I still have it. Wonder what that’s worth now? Probably $50 only because of the signature! But it’s large and very legible. I would say this is my favorite all time show so while I enjoy my blu-ray cigar box box set, I cherish the laserdisc.

If I think of anything else from the seminar I’ll post it. It was in the 90’s and I just don’t remember much. A lot of the time was spent just watching his video presentation, which was quite enjoyable as it contained his favorite moments. Wish that were available. I do remember him being very kind and seemingly appreciating his stardom. He was very approachable. So was his wife.

15. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Last week , stumbled upon a Columbo episode on TV , late evening.
    It was that great one where Culp plays an advert agency boss inserting subliminal images into ad movies .
    From Falk gorging spoon full of Caviar , the coin trick , and the clever ending , that was really enjoyable

Shawn, Jrr, Paul Gase and 1 other person like this.
  16. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

In A Friend In Deed he sets up a sting that has his suspect / victim going from confident to cooked in a blink. Or maybe it's just the fact that it involves Columbo's underwear.

17. Wildest cat from montana

Your comment about Columbo eating the caviar reminded me of a couple of other instances I evolving him and food.

In a later episode a particular kind of expensive cheese is at the murder scene. Columbo eats some and tells one of his subordinates to try it too. He also tells one that the cheese will be be " going south " meaning he intends to take it!

In another episode Columbo arrives at the crime looking particularly dishevelled. He says he hasn't had time for breakfast and produces a hard boiled egg out of his trenchcoat pocket and cracks it on the murder weapon , a tire iron.

18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i remember the hard boiled egg scene , so funny, he is looking for something to crack it over but i could not remember after that , i thought he cracked it over the shoulder of one of the team officer .
    So many scenes involving food or eating actually , Columbo preparing an omelette or enjoying his favourite bowl of Chili and smashing cracker biscuits all over ( must be a LA thing maybe ) :)

19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Though, as in many TV instances, you don't see Columbo eating or drinking much of anything. But I love when food is a factor in various scenes.

I know that at least on one occasion they used Bruno's Ristorante in Mar Vista, at Venice and Centinela. We lived just down the street and used to order their excellent pizza all the time.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Columbo , as fans know , is a lover of chili. It's mentioned and seen in several episodes.
    But in the episode where Johnny Cash is the murderer , Columbo is in attendance at a party at his home where he is served a bowl of chili made with squirrel meat.
    The look on Columbo's face is just priceless.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And in another 80’s episode he pockets a couple of Godiva chocolates, and a few more, and a few more. Hilarious!

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s one of my favorite eps, and you’re right, that scene is hilarious. I love how the character just throws it out there so casually that it’s squirrel meat!

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

And that old french Peugeot car , how genius was this to cast that , i mean in LA .
    it was always a laugh to see him stopped by local police , i think they even wanted to fined him once cause he was drving too slow :)

24. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Not sure if that episode has been discussed but" How to dial for murder " with the killer dogs is in my top 5

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

I have a book about the original Columbo shows and the author interviewed many of the actor \ murderers .
    The killer in the episode you're referring to , Nicol Williamson , said he could barely remember doing it and that it was just another job to him.

Pete Puma likes this.