'Just One More Thing'--- Favourite Columbo Episode

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Just got the series today. Anyone else have the same one? What did you think of it?

[​IMG]

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

I am so jealous...
    Really enjoy Seasons 1-5.
    What episodes are on 6 and 7 ? They're the somewhat later ones right ? But not that dull crop that came out much later . There are a few of those that are basically unwatchable because the writers lost sight of Columbo's character. I mentioned up thread there was one episode where Columbo was pointing a gun at someone. No, no , no ..that won't do.

Dissidence likes this.
  3. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Not sure what episodes but I will check and report back.

I am not too familiar with the progression of the series. I have seen a bunch of episodes, I guess when they appeared on TV, and always enjoyed them. Really love well crafted mysteries.

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Those last couple of seasons must be the 80’s to early 90’s eps. Haven’t seen that packaging before. Mine is the cigar box blu-rays. I thought after paying a princely sum it would appear domestically on the cheap withon days as that’s usually my luck, but I’ve now had it long enough now that I won’t care. A few of the eps are a bit longer than the US standard dvds. Hopefully it will happen as I’m sure many of you would enjoy it, but there can’t be too many dummies like me willing to pay $375. But I do play them often.

5. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

So the set appears to have all the episodes listed here:

List of Columbo episodes - Wikipedia

Including the two pilot episodes. Plus it has 3 bonus episodes of Mrs. Columbo! lol, I don't know anything about Mrs. Columbo; sounds like it's probably going to be bad.

But I'm not totally sure about this. I'm just guessing on the pilot episodes as they don't call attention to them. They just say all 69 episodes from the first 7 seasons plus the 24 TV movies. When I look at the Wiki page, there are 69 episodes in total over 10 seasons, but seasons 8-10 appear to be the 24 TV movies. I think. It's a little hard to tell for sure without actually starting to watch them.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think you have the exact same set that was out before, just freshened up packaging. Yes, you have them all so enjoy! It’s a lot of great entertainment for the money, even if you only like 2/3 of the eps, which for me is about right. And the Ms. Columbo eps are worth about what you paid for them...zero! Pretty bad, even for free, but I was glad to at least watch one. I can’t imagine it lasted long.

Dream On likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Those Mrs Columbo episodes are lousy. We never saw Columbo's wife in the original shows and they should have kept it that way.
    Anyway....enjoy that box set. Hours of enjoyable viewing within.

Dream On, Jrr and MRamble like this.
  8. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

I just purchased this set this on Amazon today. This complete series DVD collection has been stored in my Amazon cart for years and the limited deal of $28.99 is what made me finally pull the trigger. This current price is a steal if you're in any way a fan of this outstanding series.

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s a great set and contains everything. I think I paid almost $70 and it was a deal for how many times I’ve watched them. And the eps look good too. The only reason I don’t play mine is I got the Japanese blu-ray set, but of course that will set folks back $350 or more. Since it’s mastered for blu-ray I don’t know why Universal hasn’t just put it in a cheap box and released it here. Enjoy your set!

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Dead Weight 10/27/1971
    [​IMG]

A Stitch In Crime 2/11/1973
    [​IMG]

Dissidence, plentyofjamjars67 and Jrr like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

This is one of the very first episodes.
    Character Actor Timothy Carrey plays a small role as a cook in a diner where Columbo likes the chili.
    Fans of ' Paths of Glory ' will remember Carrey as one of the men executed. He was great in that movie.

12. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Wow, that's a great price - enjoy!

TheNightfly1982 and Jrr like this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

He's on the Sgt Pepper cover -- technically. You can just barely see part of him behind George.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  14. Wildest cat from montana

Is that him ?
    I had no idea!

15. One of my favorites too. The scene where the cops approach the house and the audio is the classical orchestra is perfect. Great shots of the Hollywood Bowl's stage and backstage area as well.

Jrr likes this.
  16. Wildest cat from montana

I didn't realize that was The Hollywood Bowl. Interesting.

One of the things I enjoy in the Columbo is the final reactions of the murderers when Columbo nails them. They just can't believe they have been figured out by this guy. The ' Etude In Black ' episode is a good example of this.

Shawn likes this.
  17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'Etude In Black' was a gut wrenching episode indeed.

18. parman

parman Music Junkie

Not just an episode but I really like those first 2 seasons where the show was 90 minutes, they were the best.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nice price! not sure why they always use photos of 1980's Columbo on the these things, laziness?

20. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

The one with Thee Great Thayer David.

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Have you seen his Nero Wolfe pilot? He's probably the best ever Wolfe:

He's not very corpulent here, as he was very ill (and would die within a few months). But he perfectly captures the essential Wolfe: the ego-maniacal brilliance combined with childish petulance.

The concept was later reworked for the miscast William Conrad, and the resulting series didn't last long. But enjoy a glimpse of what might have been:

[​IMG]

22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

That last pictured scene has a great moment - one of my favorite overall in any Columbo episode - where Cassavetes' character announced he's having a nap and briskly walks away from Columbo... until the latter point blank asks "what if it was you...?" - ie, who committed the murder - and Cassavetes immediately stops and turns on his heels to face Columbo again... at that point, he just telegraphed to the good Lieutenant that he did it... and the game is afoot!!! Great moment... John Cassavetes was awesome in just about everything he ever did!!!

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

25. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

teodoro likes this.