Just ordered NuForce STA-200

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Aug 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

How does the sound characteristics change from the Nova to the passive emotiva?

2. DaleClark

This amp is fantastic. I'm taking the EQ out of system ( wife glad--ugly black box). Really thinking of the Schiit Freya or the PS audio Stellar Dac-Preamp.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The iNova has two analog inputs and the rest are digital.

From the turn table, I am running into a Decware phono preamp and then into the switch box, which many refer to as a passive preamp, although a real passive preamp is something a bit different. A passive preamp will usually provide you with some sort of volume control, to control the volume level that is being fed into the power amp. A passive preamp can also be used to provide impedance matching.

As long as you have line level outputs, from all of your sources, and most people do, if you have a method of controlling the volume being fed into the power amps, then only a switch box of some kind is needed.

I also have an mini phone plug adapter extension cable plugged into one of the RCA inputs. This cable allows a smartphone or player to be plugged into the system.

I used to use the SS phono preamp in the switch box, prior to obtaining the outboard tube phone preamp. Currently not using the phono preamp in the switch box.

The output from the switch box then goes into one of the analog inputs of the iNova.

I will be setting up a 2nd vintage TT and will be using the SS phono preamp that is inside of the switchbox.

The switchbox neither adds or removes any information between the source and the iNova. You can't tell that it is in the chain at all.

My wired Emotiva analog volume control knob, which has a cable coming from it that open's up to two pair of RCA connectors, a male pair and a female pair, to insert it into the circuit between a preamp and power amp. It can also be used after a switch box to provide variable volume levels feeding into a preamp (in my case, the iNova), or directly into a power amp.

This Emotiva switch box is called the SP-1 and has their same $200 stand alone SS phono preamp inside of the switch box.

There are a four listed on ebay right now. The less expensive of the two has a Buy-Now price of $269.99.

If this is something that you could use, I would jump on it ASAP, because most of the others are being offered at close to $100 more.

4. DaleClark

great info thanks

5. DaleClark

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

All gone, sweet deal

7. DaleClark

I think this is the amp steal of the year.

8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Audio Advisor still has them.

9. DaleClark

10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I was never able to see a 4 ohm specification for the STA-200.

Yes, I realize this is a personal problem! :)

11. DaleClark

Hmm thats a good question. The owner's manual mentions only 8 ohm specs

12. DaleClark

I do have to say that I look forward to getting home and listening to this amp. Maybe its the "new Toy" effect. I may shop for an all analog pre amp to go with it. I am also considering the PS audio Gain Cell Dac/preamp and just use it as a dac if I buy a separate pre.

33na3rd likes this.
  13. DaleClark

Looks like Audio Advisor now only has 1 demo unit left. I'm glad I hopped on this one. I have been really thrilled with the amp. No more EQ either. The low end and soundstaging is fabulous. I'm not saying this amp is tube like, however, the mids and highs are really smooth. Especially with my ZU "super" tweeters. This truly is a $1299 amp,IMO, and a flat out steal at $499.

Now if I could only find a Pre Amp deal like I did with the Nuforce

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Hi Fi Jeff

Hi Fi Jeff Well-Known Member

Going to resurrect this thread because I am SERIOUSLY considering this amp. In fact I am not considering it, I am purchasing I this Friday when I get paid. Just want to know how you are still liking it? Did you ever find a good pre-amp to mate to it?

15. DaleClark

I am still loving this amp. I had opportunities to go purchase higher end amps, however, I passed since I cannot find anything about this amp I feel is lacking. I'm using a Rogue rp-5 Preamp. I think over the holidays I may try a pair of Vintage Mullard Tubes (Upscale Audio has option to test out the best tubes for CJ and Rogue) just for kicks. I have no issues with the stock JJ's, however everyone, even the Rogue guys says Im missing out by not trying the Mullards. We'll see

Here's a link to the TAS review and I must say I agree with the general sound characteristics of the review.

16. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

Just got one yesterday, only had a little time to listen, and it hadn't had any time to break in yet. Fantastic amp, so transparent, great all the way around.

I am using a Schiit Freya pre, in passive mode. I find I like that better then buffered or tube mode, with my Tekton Lore-S speakers. Unfortunately, tube mode is very noisy, and it stands out with my 93dB efficient spks... but I think I would like passive better either way. A little annoyed I paid $700 for a passive pre though.

17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying, but $699 for a passive with remote control and 128 discrete volume steps is still pretty cheap compared to what else is available.

Sounds like a fun system!

brad1138 likes this.
  18. brad1138

brad1138 Well-Known Member

Good point, and thanks. It is, I love it. Unfortunately, I had to sell my prized possession, a ML No 331 amp that was in it. I bought the Nuforce, trying to find a cheaper alternative that would come close to sounding as good, and I think I have. I tried a Used Vincent SP-331, but I didn't like it and sold it for what I paid for it. I also have a (used) Proceed BPA2 on it's way. I am going to compare it to the Nuforce, and keep the best one in that system, and maybe sell or put the loser in my 3rd system.

Doc Diego and 33na3rd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.