Just picked up a tru-lift and tru-kleen - fantastic products!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

If you're anything like me, and like to drink while spinning (pun intended) and more than a few times have forgotten to turn off your TT only to wake up to your stylus just hanging out in the dead wax, this is your fix! Just set it up and it works like a charm, much better than the q-up thingy and looks a thousand times better! It's not exactly cheap but worth every penny. integrityhifi Canada

[​IMG]

Encore, Jvalvano and 33na3rd like this.
  2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I have one on my TT; purchased it last year when the company had a sale going so it was quite a few bucks cheaper at the time. I had some probs setting it up, but I think that was just me. Had a record recently with a
    bit of edge warp and had to adjust the Tru-lift, which again gave me some probs (again, it's probably just me) -- but once the lift is set up and working, it's great: the tonearm touches an antenna, for lack of a better word, on
    the Tru-lift and that causes the lift to carefully and slowly rise. Tonearm is thus free of spinning in the deadwax until the lame operator can get his butt over to the tt to flip the record or turn off the player.

McGuy likes this.
  3. McGuy

bingo! I had trouble setting it up too, thought it was too low, which it was, but didn't realize the entire inner portion raises up, not just the lifter. once I figured that out, I was golden. and the tru-kleen is just a nice cool gimick and I can cut up my onzow zerodust and put it in there. have to do that tomorrow, not thrilled with using blue tack for cleaning the stylus. the onzow is stickier

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The bar should be parallel to the edge of the platter and the antenna should be closer to the platter. Basically, turn the whole thing counter clockwise.

Google Image Result for https://www.integrityhifi.ca/ad13.png

McGuy likes this.
  5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm looking at buying a totally manual table (after being used to a fully automatic table for the past three decades). If I do, I want something like this because even though I don't smoke that stuff anymore, I still like my Cabernet...

Encore, Roycer and McGuy like this.
  6. McGuy

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Good to hear :)

McGuy likes this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I can't see how it works much better than a Q-up. I have a Q-up and it works perfectly. It has variable adjustment to adjust both the trigger and lift speed to suit the mass of different tonearms. Mine lifts the RB700 very slowly. I fully admit, it's not a stunner in looks, but it doesn't look out of place on my Rega P5.

Rob6899 and sound chaser like this.
  9. McGuy

Q up didn’t work 100% of the time for me. It was hit or miss.

10. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

That tru-kleen has given me a good idea. I use a piece of magic eraser to clean the stylus but holding this in your hand while you lower the stylus is always an adventure. I might get some kind of cupboard handle/knob like the tru-kleen design, stuff some magic eraser in there, an be done for 0.50$. Thanks for the inspiration :D:thumbsup:

McGuy likes this.
  11. McGuy

Good idea! I was going to try and mke something but I decided to just buy it. Looks very nice

12. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I also use Magic Eraser, but I usually just put a piece on the platter and lower the stylus onto it. Am I under-thinking it??

csgreene likes this.
  13. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's all I do.

14. McGuy

not at all. I just like to buy silly stuff...

15. bever70

Well I have a suspended platter (and arm) so care has to be taken there. Something like this would eliminate at least one source of possible disaster ;)

McGuy likes this.
  16. McGuy

found this accidentally - but it would be the perfect top piece to place your blue tack or onzow piece in...https://www.amazon.com/Autobahn88-A...1543429933&sr=8-6&keywords=10mm+aluminum+tube

bever70 likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It would look out of place on my VPI Prime. I enjoy the very smooth lifting action which is delicate on the tonearm.

18. McGuy

Looks great on my VPI Prime Scout...but I'm sure my tonearm is not the same as yours.

19. bever70

McGuy likes this.
  20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

As a former Q-up Owner who just installed the Tru-Lift one week ago, I can say for me with my EAT C-Sharp the Tru-Lift is far more reliable. YMMV. Once set up correctly it has worked 100 percent to the time, something I can not say about the Q-up. I did buy it for reliability factor, but there is something to be said for the appearance: stainless steel vs black plastic. If the Q-up was reliable I was prepared to live with the cheaper appearance.

The big problem with the Q-up for me was how the adjustments were not permanent. The base for the two piece Q-up was very finicky. I found that in a few days the upper portion would be pushed back laterally towards the label and it would stop tripping. I used little tiny labels to secure the top portion to the base, but over time the top would still go out of alignment. The other thing that was annoying about the base was the notched height adjustments. They were very flexible but it was very easy to accidentally change your desired height when trying to adjust the lateral trip setting.

The Tru-Lift's trip is controlled by something that looks like a small vertical antenna. You set the proper trip distance when you install the base. One set with blu-tack the base and therefor the trip antenna is going nowhere. The height adjustment is equally secure. You loosen a set screw and slide the upper portion of the lift to the desired height and re-tighten the set screw.

I will mention one other thing, although I don't know the cause of it. When the Q-Up lifted my tonearm I would often get a large pop as it lifted out of the runout groove. The Tru-Lift is far gentler lifting the tonearm and I will hear a click, but never a loud pop. YMMV.

A couple of cautions:
    • You may think you are good to go after watching their YouTube vids, but don't ignore the included instruction sheet. It mentions if the Tru-Lift was in transit on a cold day you should let it warm up to room temperature to allow the dampening fluid to work correctly.
    • Also do check out the YouTube vids on the Tru-Lift site. Out of the box, my Tru-Lift seemed impossible to install. Then I watched the YouTube vid again. I notice the horizontal bar that lifts the arm was installed 180 degrees from where it should have been. Once I figured this out and spun the bar around 180 degrees, installation was a breeze.
    • Depending on your turntable and Tru-Lift model you would need for the proper platter height, you may not actually be able to use the Tru-Lift. It may not fit on your plinth due to tone arm mounting base or other instructions. If in doubt contact them.
    • A BIGGIE: The bar that lifts the tonearm is only about an inch wide and therefor does not support the tone arm except near the label. When you go over to the first thing you want to do is lift the cueing lever so the tonearm is fully supported across the full width of the record. If you don't the tonearm will drop once it is off the Tru-Lift bar. The reverse is true too: remember to arm the Tru-Lift first by lowering the support bar prior to starting to play a record. This is true to a similar extent with the Q-up.

21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

+1

MGW likes this.
  22. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Thanks for posting.
    Very interesting product(s).

McGuy likes this.
  23. McGuy

Very high quality stuff.

F1nut likes this.
  24. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Tried the Q-up a long time ago; not impressed. So contacted Integrity hifi in Canada and asked them which version of the trulift I need for my Music Hall mmf 7.3; they told me model 1, the shortest. Still too tall. Took the base off, used a washer and a glue dot and attached it to the bottom of it, lined it up, used a glue dot to mount it, and that worked.

25. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Thinking about getting a Tru-Lift for my C sharp. Thanks for there post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.