Just picked up a tru-lift and tru-kleen - fantastic products!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'm thinking about the Tru-sweep. Anyone have experience with or opinions on it?

2. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

If you do decide to take the plunge, the Model 2 with the 1 5/8" - 2" height range works. It is at the extreme (low) end of the range, but it works. Read my comments above about the lift being rotated 180 degrees out of position when I received it. Just compare your unit to the pictures in the guide or the YouTube vids.

Still very happy with mine. I had to make one tweak. I had some LPs with the narrowest run out grooves I have ever seen and the Tru-Lift tripped prematurely. I didn't remove it and reposition it, I carefully rotated it clockwise a tiny bit right over its mounting position, which had the effect of moving the trip handle back slightly.

3. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

With pictures:
    Great Record Brush

bajaed likes this.
  4. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Broke down and bought a Tru-lift. Works great. Thanks for the tips Jim0830.
    A little pricey but cheaper than a cartridge and after the cartridge ran in the runout groove for many hours last week I thought, 'this is ridiculous just get one and solve the problem.'

Problem solved. :cheers:

F1nut likes this.
  5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

How does the Tru Lift work with low profile tables such as pro-ject? I have a Q Up now but it’s finicky, as others have noted.

6. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I think it would work fine. There are 4 sizes too choose from. I think in the set up videos he is using a project turntable. They explain how to measure your tonearm height to determine which one to get. You could ask them also. It really isn't hard to set up. Took about 15 minutes because I was being meticulous. It works perfect. I highly recommend it.

One helpful tip I would add. There is some wiggle room in the adjustments. After I had it set I used the blue tack to place it. Well even a small amount changes the height so I had to reset it. Not a big deal just something to keep in mind.

integrityhifi Canada

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Give them a call, super friendly folks that will be able to tell you exactly which one you need.

8. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Years ago, I had a manual version of the Tru-lift - can't recall the name, but it worked by the pickup nudging the top half of a simple lever as it neared the run-out groove. Tipping this caused gravity to take over, the arm being weighted, and the rotating lever would lift the pickup arm and trap it between the rotated arm and the vertical post to which it was mounted.

It was secured to the base plate with a simple adhesive pad, and all went well until repeated usage caused the pad to let go, the whole thing to fall, and the pickup skating over the label and such....

Hazelmullins likes this.
  9. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

Interested in the tru-lift product. Is the glue permanent or is it easily removable without damage to the plinth?

10. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

no glue, just 3 little dots of blue tack on the bottom, easily removable but damn sturdy. Leaves no marks on your plinth

Toneboner likes this.
  11. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Or do your body and life a favor and don't drink to where that becomes an issue...

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Use a little blu-tack.

Toneboner likes this.
  13. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

What happens when the Blu-Tak lets go, and the device takes the pickup arm with it ... ?

14. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

One can only presume you have no experience with blu-tack.

todd141, aunitedlemon and DougRuss like this.
  15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I installed the Tru-Lift #1 on my Music Hall MMF- 7.1 and it was too tall. I initiated a return with Elusive Disc, they contacted me and urged me to write to Tina at Tru-Lift. After sending her photos she offered to make me a custom base that was a 1/4” shorter than the standard for model #1 free of charge. It was sent to Elusive Disc and they shipped it to me at no cost; excellent customer service all around.

The new base resolved the problem and it now works. However I am having trouble with it working in a consistent fashion. On some records it hits the antennae, bounces back to the record and only on it’s second contact successfully lifts. The tension adjustment is very sensitive. Just when I think I’ve got it right and have a good run of proper lifts I get the bounce back issue again.

Another problem I encounter is after setting the riser back down and initiating record play, sometimes the riser will lift on it’s own within a few minutes. When I hear the track begin repeating like a bad groove I know exactly what’s happened. Once again it’s about the screw adjustment and the angle of the riser when set back down. I like this product but am growing tired of the inconsistency with it’s performance.

16. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Totally agree, I don’t think I’ve ever paid as much for such an unassumingly small and light piece of plastic, that actually works so well!

Rob6899 likes this.
  17. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

User for years. Nice product. I cut the gold ball off.

18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

The TruLift arm is round and my tonearm is round so my tonearm slips off and lands back on the record....not good....how do I fix that?

19. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

odd, I have never once had a problem with my tonearm falling off the tru-lift. maybe yours is bent downward? Call Elusive Disk or Integrity and ask

20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I was skeptical when I bought my Tru-Sweep and it was secured with Blu-Tak. I had to take it off and move it slightly when I purchased my dustcover. It was NOT easy to remove it and so I didn't think twice about it being used to support the Tru-Lift. The worst thing I could imagine happening is the base shifting position so the arm not longer trips the lift.
    I have never had bounce-back as you described but I have had the lift not staying down. It is usually a matter of my not pushing it down and making sure it stays down. Sometimes I get a "near engagement" of the lift. I always push it down now firmly and immediately check to see the engagement took. It isn't a quick push, but a firm sustained one where I keep it in the down position firmly before taking my finger off. I aways do it with the tone arm pushed back near its rest so I don't accidentally trigger it because of close working quarters with the tone arm nearby. Is the antenna and arm in the same relative orientation as it is on the demo videos? I would contact Tru-Lift they seem to be quite responsive.

The horizontal tonearm lift tube is asymmetrical with relation to the vertical tube. It is about 1/4 on the left and 3/4 to the right of vertical tube. Do you have it oriented like this? My tonearm would not fall off the lift until it is within an inch or so of the run-in groove at the edge of the platter. This is a large distance for the arm to travel backward when the chrome tube lifts it up. Have you checked your anti-skating to see if it is correct? My EAT C-Sharp has a round tonearm and the arm normal lifts straight up and if it moves at all it may be an 1/8" / 3mm at most. It would have to push back nearly 2 1/2" / 6.5 cm to fall off the lift support. I don't see anything in the oration of the Tru-Lift, if installed correctly, that could cause enough movement to have it fall off the lift. Unless the lift tube is spun around 180 degrees and has 3/4 of the tube pointing to the left towards the runout groove and only 1/4 of the width supporting the arm. Also, do you have the lift bar positioned so it is perpendicular to the tonearm position when it enters the runout groove? This ensures you are using the maximum width of the lift.

As for a solution try putting a strip of something thin with a surface that is not so slippery as the metal lift. But I think something else isn't quite right. This strip I describe should not be necessary.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  21. Madness

I'll have to play around with the placement of the trulift; I may not have the trulift arm in the optimal position.

22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I suggest watching the Tru Lift You Tube video several times. I think they are also on the Tru Lift sight.

Madness likes this.
  23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You have it set up wrong. If possible post a pic.

Madness likes this.
  24. Madness

I figured it out; I had added a 2 gram little washer, which was pulling it in the wrong direction when the tru lift engaged; removed it, and now it works perfectly. Haven't retested the anti skating with the test record, but played a couple records today and it sounded perfectly fine.

25. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

This post may be self-evident to some, but in case there are others like me maybe it won't. This tip may save them multiple tweaks of their Tru-Lift (or any other similar product) over time. I set mine up about a year ago now and I did it by eye for what I thought would be the proper place to have it activate. A few times since then I had to tweak it to adjust it to suit records with a fairly small runout groove. I use a Sugar Cube SC-2 and I digitize all of my LPs the first time I play them. There is nothing more annoying when digitizing an LP side than having the Tru-Lift trip before the side is over.

This week I got a new a LP and from past experience I knew it would trip the Tru-Lift early. It was the smallest runout groove I have ever seen. It took about 15 minutes and 5 tries before I nailed it. I would adjust the Tru-Lift and play the last minute or so of the side to check the results. It then occurred to me I should have done this when I first started: Seek out the LP with the smallest runout groove to do my setup. No guessing and no surprises. I had a Q-Up before the Tru-Lift and the situation was even worse. The Q-Up would gradually move over time and stop working. I'd have to set it up from scratch again. I should have noted my LP with the smallest runout groove in the Remarks column of Discogs. That way even if I forget over time or I switched to a new model which did, I can pull the worst case LP to do the set up. Even if you are thinking about buying one in the future, you will have the information waiting for you when you do choose one.

I will note that this is absolutely the smallest runout groove I have ever seen. As an aside at least the LP didn't have any inner-groove distortion that I could hear. The runout area measured just under 1/4". The only thing I must now watch out for is whether the actual final groove is closer to the label than others. I will need to insure that more normal records still trip the Tru Lift.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.