Just saw LXG (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JonUrban, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMAN
    Sean Connery and others

Well, I really wanted this to be a good flick, one that you can't wait to see again.

WRONG!

The cast is great, the characters are great, the plot ......well, the plot just sucks. (Can I say that?) :D

This movie may be a good case for TOO MUCH CGI!! I mean, almost every scene is CGI, and while that may have been spectacular 10 years ago, it now seems like it is way overdone.

This movie seems like it has all of the correct ingrediants, but it just does not have that spark. In fact, there was not one instance of me "being on the edge of my seat." Too many things done before (I mean, we even have a Hulk clone here).

Like I said, great charactors, great actors and acting, really bad script. So many plot holes, there are too many to mention.

My advice - if you want to see it, wait for the DVD, it won't be long before it is out!

:-jon

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I thought it was a car or something.

Spell it out for the search engines!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No kidding. They're really trying to pull the movies out of the theatre so they can make millions on the DVD (and they do!)

I saw the previews when I went to see the 2nd Matrix flick. My first impression was (with my Sean impression)

"Oh, my I'm in a video game with no joystick."

The directors are thinking "Terminator". They just want AMAZING BOOM BOOMS. Ya see, Charlies Angels was like that, and very neat, but the plot wasn't there. In fact, it wasn't supposed to.

So when you try to build a good plot around that, it folds.

The theatre is going to turn into a big Rome. Audience will just watch things blown up, eat popcorn and go home.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I really hate present-day Sean Connery. His presence alone makes me stay far far away.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jon,

Thanks. I would have fixed the thread heading myself except I can't spell "extrodinary". See? ;)

6. JonUrban

Steve, I changed it.

"LXG" is how they are advertising the movie, and the posters, etc. all have LXG, but I can see your point.

[​IMG]

7. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

Ugh. This one's had flies buzzin' around it for months now. It should appeal to everyone who liked "Wild Wild West" and "The Avengers." ;)

It was actually interesting watching the progression of trailers as Fox tried to figure out how to market it. The studio's gonna take a big hit on this one - the budget was well over $120 million.

Nevertheless, the comic geek in me means that I'll probably see it this weekend. It's also my job - dirty, at times, but it needs to get down - and if I'm gonna see it I'd rather see it on a big screen than on my TV.

9. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I like Sean Connery. But I often ask myself "why do good actors make bad movies"? Then I realize: if I saw what he was paid to make this flick I think I'd probably understand perfectly.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm betting that the big-budget pirate movie coming out soon tanks even bigger. Pirates? Who approved that? Even if it's a good movie, I just don't see the audience.

11. bartels76

I agree. I won't be seeing either movie this summer.

12. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

"Wild Wild West" was pretty bad, but people paid to see it. "The Avengers" was also pretty bad, but didn't make the kind of money that "Wild Wild West" made.

I baffled at the people who pay money to see this crap in theaters. This summer's been pretty harsh, as far as movies go. I don't think there's one movie playing at the local multiplex that I want to see.

13. bartels76

28 Days Later is supposed to be really good. I want to catch that.

14. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Kevin Costner stars in a western with Robert Duvall in "Open Range" which opens next month. Costner hasn't done much thats worth a darn in a long time but his best flicks are westerns IMHO.

check it out at:

http://www.openrangemovie.com

15. bartels76

That movie will make about 12 million and that's it.

16. Drew

Drew Senior Member

You might be right, but I don't judge movies by the box office gross. Care to venture a guess at what the #1 movie will be this weekend? I cringe at the thought.

I saw T3 on Monday and other than eyeballing Kristanna Loken it was a waste of the $6 I paid for the matinee. Can you say "milking a dead cow"? At least I didn't become a first weekend statistic. :D

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I just got home from seeing Pirates of the Caribbean. A 7:30 show at a big theater on 34th St., and it was packed! Pirate movies are supposed to be box-office poison, but I think this one will break the spell.

Johnny Depp is phenomenal--and, as reported in some reviews, his character is modeled 100% on Keith Richards! It's hilarious to watch. Hey, it's not easy to steal the screen from Geoffrey Rush! Depp can lose himself in a role unlike any other actor around today. The movie is a lot of fun, although at least 20 mins. too long.

18. RDK

RDK Active Member

"Pirates" should be number 1 this weekend. My money's on T3 coming in 2nd.

19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

You've summed up the situation to a "T."

20. blackwiggle

blackwiggle New Member

But have you seen the "league of gentlemen"
    The british comedy series?
    VERY dark,VERY black.
    Tis today as was monty python was in the 70's

21. Matt

Matt New Member

Sean Connery was on Today last week and the way he tells it, he wasn't interested in at first, but they sent over the original comic book with the script, and the comic book sold him on it. For one, he was very impressed with the way it was laid out, which he thought was better than most scripts he read, and he was very, VERY impressed with how good the comic looked in general. He said something like, "When I was a kid, we traded comic books around, bought them for something like a nickel...this, this was a real first-rate product." I don't have the comic, but if it was a graphic novel, that may have distorted things a bit for Sean, but regardless, if he really hasn't seen a comic in decades, I could totally understand.

What a shame that it's such a dud. Sean sounded very enthusiastic about it.

22. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Yes, the British TV series "The League of Gentlemen" is one of the most sordid and outrageous thngs ever to hit the small screen - hilariously funny, but way sicker than the Python boys ever were. Amazing to think that 3 guys could create so many characters, male and female. Some of their characterisations are painfully spot on, while others are - indescribable. The first series is on DVD in Australia, and the later ones are probably available in the UK.

I'm sure the movie would have very little in common with the TV series.

23. JonUrban

The characters were great, and so were the actors. Like I said, the script/story was lame.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Alan Moore-penned comic was a gas. The version of Mr. Hyde in the comic was a 15-foot tall monster, so I can imagine the only way they could do it was CGI.

I haven't seen this yet, but I plan to. It'll be interesting to watch 73-year-old Sean Connery do his own stunts.

Evan

25. RDK

RDK Active Member

This did much better than anyone expected this weekend!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.