The Miles Davis Quintet "Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)" NOT on COOKIN'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DanG, Mar 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street Thread Starter

I was reading the liner notes on Cookin' With THE Miles Davis Quintet yet again. Discussion of the songs begin by noting that Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me) is the only song duplicated from a previous quintet recording (The New Miles Davis Quintet).

But Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me) is not on the Cookin' Lp/CD. It's just mentioned in the liner notes.

The All Music Guide even follows through on this mistake, noting it as track 6.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB040311250902400559&sql=Anveq975jkrgt

So was Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me) EVER released on Cookin'? Or it's just a mistake never corrected in the liner notes?

2. DanG

bump

No one's noticed this before? So strange. :confused:

3. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Hm, I was going to buy it for this very reason. I like this tune.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It's on the first 5,000 DCC Gold versions of Cookin' then Fantasy made us remove it.

jfeldt likes this.
  5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Wow! I was unaware of that!

I guess that makes those discs rather rare. I'll have to check mine. :thumbsup:

6. DanG

Ah, quite the collectors item!

So they wouldn't allow it after that, even on the Analogue Productions 45rpm release, eh? Too bad.

Was it on the original Prestige vinyl?

7. Steve Hoffman

No, of course not. It's included as part of the long medley. Why they didn't list it as such originally is beyond me.

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I just checked, and the liner notes on the AP SACD release were edited to remove the confusion!!!

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

For real? My DCC gold CD of Cookin' has "Just Squeeze Me." The disc has six tracks and clocks in at 41 minutes and change. The reason I'd be surprised if just the first 5,000 copies had the extra track is that I bought my copy sealed from a local store about two years ago. For what it's worth, the back insert says "Disc manufactured in Japan/Printed in U.S.A."

I have three other versions of Cookin', and none of them have "Just Squeeze Me." These would be the original Prestige CD released in the Japan, the 20-bit K2 remaster, and the SACD. All three discs clock in around 33-34 minutes.

One last question. I have no concept of how 5,000 copies translate into rarity for a DCC CD. How many copies of Cookin' were pressed?

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

And, is it the same version as on "The New Miles Davis Quintet"?

11. Steve Hoffman

Exactly the same (answering a question from 2004 in 2021.)

CBackley, DanG and Parkertown like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.