Just watched "Secretary"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jymn, Aug 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

All I could think of while watching this montrosity of celluloid ambiguity, besides Maggie Gyllenhaal's miraculous performance, was BOC's "Dominance and Submission" ("Radios Appear"), which is my favorite hard rock studio performance.

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It is a pretty cool movie. Had plenty of laughs.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

very underrrated movie.

the was even some oscar talk for maggie g.

renny

4. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

I absolutely loved it. Most movies would have found a way to "cure" the characters, or at least "cure" Maggie's character so she could leave Spader's character and live happily ever after. The movie dared to surmise that perhaps there's just nothing wrong with them finding happiness in each other and their lifestyle. That's hard to do, as most movies use S&M to go completely over the top and portray it as something only the most deviant, trashy people get a kick out of... but these were your average, cute, small town nine to fivers.

I thought there were problems here and there, but I still enjoyed it.

5. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

So do you guys recommend it? Should I rent it (whenever it comes out) and watch it with my parents or will there be too many 'what IS this movie?' moments?

6. mdp7751

mdp7751 New Member

I probably wouldn't race to watch it with MY parents, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

I really liked this movie, but I've only recently decided that . . . even though I saw it more than 6? months ago (yeah). The reason, even though I was on the fence when I left the theater, is because it has stayed with me this long. It's one of those movies with a plot, feel, and performances you just can't shake.

cool

7. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

Yeah. That's my point. Sticks to the ribs type movie. Maggie G., whew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.