Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

A couple of those scenes looked pretty obvious, in the sense that there wasn't enough "bulk" under the clothing.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I liked it. Hopefully there will be a extended cut on BD.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And speaking of Henry Cavill's unwanted mustache (digitally removed for the film), this is a hilarious and real product tie-in that just came out this week:

[​IMG]

kouzie, Mr. E. Tramp, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  4. The Hud

That is nothing compared to the Star Wars themed Norelco I saw a commercial for yesterday.

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

That's hilarious! What is the demographic? 14 year old boys? Did Henry use this when he finally shaved after Mission Impossible?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

For all I know, Mission: Impossible may still be in production! It comes out in late July 2018.

carrick doone likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to update this thread: here's a very informative but disturbing article on all the turmoil that went on at Warner Bros. during the making of Justice League over the last year and a half...

No 'Dark Knight' or 'Wonder Woman': 'Justice League' Is a 'Frankenstein'

And in this article, two industry reporters analyze Justice League and try to figure out which part was shot by Zach Snyder, and which was shot by Joss Whedon:

Let's Try to Piece Together Zack Snyder's Vision for 'Justice League'

Simon A and The Hermit like this.
  8. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Oh Lordy, what a mess!!! How Tsujihara still has a job at WB after screwing up what I would have thought couldn't be is beyond me...

I like Zack Snyder; he's a genuinely talented director, is a supreme visual stylist, and he made (in my humble opinion) the single best CBM to date in Watchmen... a film many people claimed unfilmable to begin with. But his virtually-monochromatic look for both MoS and BvS did not work for either, and did the latter film really need three hours and an R-rating to tell correctly? That being said, he got a raw deal from WB after the blowback on BvS - and let's not forget they ordered Snyder to cut his intended version down by 30 minutes not long before release, giving Snyder very little time and sacrificing narrative coherency in the process - they should have handled it better, and not browbeat the director to change course literally weeks before cameras were set to roll on JL.

It seems like the original (and obviously-outlined) idea of a two-part Justice League was thrown out the window after BvS, and quickly retooled into a single film... with Whedon doing clean up during reshoots, where it was altered even further. Didn't Henry Cavill tweet a picture of a black Superman suit... what happened to that??? I'm guessing that (among other things) was a victim of the course-change that came straight from Tsujihara...

As a commenter on one of the above articles said; WB were so intent on repeating Marvel's success, they forgot to be DC... plus they didn't have the patience to build their own Cinematic Universe over time like their competitor did... and that's what ultimately has brought them down.

Zack Snyder's director's cut of JL would be an interesting curio, but I don't think either it will happen or could happen, alas...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think it's impossible that WB would consider a "deluxe Blu-ray edition" that had the original Snyder version as an addition to the theatrical version.

Simon A likes this.
  10. The Hud

I was waiting for the black Superman suit as well, and I was very disappointed it never showed up.

Vidiot and Simon A like this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

And then all so called supermen came after his death..
    In the cartoon superman doomsday. they made a clone of him
    and he went rouge:D.. killing toy man..:eek::D

12. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Saw this tonight. It was ok. Not great but not terrible. It reminded me of a live version of one of the animated flicks.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I bet you £1 that never happens.

14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Jim B. likes this.
  15. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

The problem with this is that there was a cut that Snyder screened for WB execs, before Whedon was brought on. What state that cut was in, who knows. I'm sure there were some unfinished effects, along with some unfinished score as well. And this particular VFX artist only worked on pockets of the film, while other effect houses worked on others. Snyder himself "liked" the petition to release his cut, which leads me to believe that something does in fact exist. From what I have read almost an hours worth of footage that Snyder shot was edited out, including a lot of scenes/backstories with Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg, and almost all of the scenes he shot for Superman.

Vidiot and Simon A like this.
  16. Of course there's a "pure Snyder" cut of Justice League from before Joss Whedon took over, but this wouldn't be complete, and I suspect the reason we have insiders shooting down the possibility of another director's cut in the DCEU is because the powers that be don't want fans thinking all theatrical editions will be rendered obsolete just a few months after their release. The extended treatments of "BVS" and Suicide Squad made the original editors look more like butchers than professionals, yet Wonder Woman proved there isn't always a need for additional material to create a cohesive story. Moving on, what each new installment in this franchise requires is more faith on the part of those higher up, and greater consistency from directors. Of course, I can't blame Zack Snyder for handing over the control on Justice League, but it's clear the best we can ask for is a longer edition containing as much of whatever he shot. Based on past experience (with Superman II in particular), it doesn't seem as if hybrid cuts work all that well, and not even editing by committee is a good solution. The best we can hope for now is greater coherence in the future, as Justice League is very much a product flawed as a result of compromises, many of these sadly unavoidable yet necessary considering the circumstances. By contrast, Zack's last two efforts were only flawed because of his approach being so counter to what some fans expected...

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I doubt they'd do it as a complete movie, but I bet there are "additional scenes" that appear on the Blu-ray. The problem with doing the complete movie is that it would cost too much to finish it: basically, an entirely new mix, completing the VFX sequences, and so on. I bet that a rough cut of Snyder's version does exist on an Avid drive somewhere at Warner Bros., but the quality would be kinda iffy.

But I bet Snyder's version would be a worse movie than what we saw. (Strictly IMHO.)

budwhite and Simon A like this.
  18. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

This is an interesting read. This link goes through footage from Snyder's original cut, scenes that were deleted and/or different. I believe Kevin Smith read this during his recent podcast about the film and an audience member who had seen an original test screening confirmed it. Who knows though, but this version of the film would've been great.

Read Zack Snyder’s version and all deleted scenes of Justice League

Simon A likes this.
  19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

How come big stars like Tom Cruise doesn't get involved with DC or Marvel?

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Could be argued that currently, many of the stars at Marvel/DC are bigger than Cruise (Downey certainly is) largely in part due to the franchise's but....

21. alexpop

But, Downey can't do a blockbuster / success outside Marvel( Iron Man character ).

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If you look at the filmographies of the "Avengers" actors, Downey is the only one who played the clear lead in a major hit outside of Marvel: "Sherlock Holmes".

Hemsworth was in "Snow White", which did pretty well, but I'm not sure I'd consider it to be a big hit.

Johansson did voices in a couple of animated films that did well but she's not been in a non-Marvel live action hit.

Renner was in a couple of "Mission: Impossible" movies but obviously he wasn't the lead in those.

Samuel L. Jackson has been in MASSIVE hits - "Jurassic Park", the "Star Wars" prequels, etc. - but not as the lead...

23. alexpop

I guess the answer to my question is Tom Cruise doesn't need DC/Marvel to be a success and vice versa.

24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Most people (myself included) thought Downey's career was over 20 years ago considering the personal problems he had. Talk about a reversal of fortune.

chacha likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

More the latter than the former - Cruise hasn't had a non-franchise hit in many years.

He latched onto "Mummy" to get involved in a new franchise, but that didn't pan out for him.

If offered a lead - and his usual exorbitant salary - I'd bet Cruise would gladly get involved with Marvel in a heartbeat, but Marvel has zero reason to pay him big bucks. Those movies make big bucks without big stars - Cruise wouldn't add to that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.