Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think DC and WB are even bothering to include Green Lantern in their new cinematic universe - they're presumably keeping him in the doghouse after how bad his last theatrical effort turned out!

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Official Trailer #1:

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I know I'm not the target audience for this movie, but even by the standards of your typical superhero movie of today that trailer seems really ponderous and derivative. Nothing we haven't seen a dozen times before. And I still can't believe anyone thinks those dark and overly cluttered costumes look good.

Cousin It and Vidiot like this.
  5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Are they not the Justice League of America anymore?

Curse you globalised marketing!

6. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

They aren't the Justice League of America in the comics either, at least not the main version of the League.

7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Well someone just showed his age! :help:

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Here's somone else! I haven't read an Aquaman book in a very long time. But this movie guy looks very much like a version of Marvel's Sub-Mariner from years ago (NOT his 'resurrection' scene in the early FF books. But a series drawn by Jae Lee). Also, I don't recall Aquaman saying stuff like "I dig it" or "Yayuh!". I understand this is a new generation of fans blah, blah, blah but this character was always depicted as a king, Jason Mamoa's playing him as a hipster biker. Shoulda just made him into LOBO! Talk about PERFECT casting! Speaking of casting, The TV AND movie Flashes barely look old enough to play KID Flash. MY flash was a tall lanky blond guy with a crewcut and would be perfectly played by Alexander Skarsgard!;)

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks better than Suicide Squad.
    At the same time looks like a TV show.
    Just could be the best DC film so far( yet to see Wonder Woman yet though ).

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Make the Justice League great again.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, this is rough...

12 Worst Parts of New 'Justice League' Trailer (Photos)

...pointlessly indulgent and nonsensical displays of light and color...

Every action shot in this trailer looks bizarrely small scale, aside from this ultra-wide battle shot that was seemingly ripped straight from the prologue of "The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring"...

Here we see the Justice League preparing to do battle inside what appears to be the throat of a Xenomorph from the "Alien" movies...

:eek:

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought Superman was dead. Isn't that what I saw after slogging through that awful Dawn Of Justice movie?

13. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Didn't you see the ground move above his burial site right before the credits?

ShardEnder likes this.
  14. As if the miserable last two installments of this main series weren't bad enough, now we have the very real possibility that Zack Snyder will follow up on his loosely appropriating the Death of Superman comic book arc by either putting Henry Cavill in a black regenerative suit (possibly echoing Superman Lives?) for Justice League or revealing his "second coming" at the very end of the movie, setting up for its immediate sequel. However, at this point, and having seen the latest trailer, I just don't care for the DC Extended Universe enough now to really give much in the way of an opinion. What I will say is that the jokes - if they even landed for you! - felt like desperate attempts to finally bring the overall tone more in line with the expectations of most fans after BvS doubled down on all the problems they'd identified in Man of Steel. I know he started off directing music videos, but this latest clip is more something I'd expect to see on MTV than a large screen, being highly reminiscent of later promotional material for Suicide Squad, which also experienced changes to reduce its general darkness. How difficult is it for WB to find someone who has respect for the source material and isn't embarrassed to depict these characters as altruistic figures in bold colours? In the right hands, I still believe it would be possible to create a cinematic world full of genuine hope and optimism that isn't dismissed by most as pure camp. Oh, and it would certainly be welcome if at least someone had an infectiously uplifting theme song you could recognise from hearing a person whistle this as they pass you in the street! At the moment, we need such escapism more than ever...

czeskleba and PhilBorder like this.
  15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

To each his own, as a cartoonist and life long comics fan, these movies have been absolutely fantastic!

It's total fantasy people what in the world are you looking for?

Just my opinion, but some of the criticisms I've read are absolutely ridiculous! I'll leave it at that.

As for the new Justice League trailer, it looks absolutely AWESOME!

The comic books brought to life, that's what I want from these movies, not realism or whatever nonsense, I want the comic brought to life!

Of all these DC superhero movies, I've been waiting for the Jack Kirby characters!

Kirby's characters are the only reason I'm even interested, because I think they are the very best characters in comics!

What an awesome army Darkseid has sent to Earth, man the amount of Parademons! I can't wait to see how they treat Steppenwolf. I would have brought Kalibak myself, but Steppenwolf should be good.

Now I hope they introduce more of the New Gods!

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I don't think the costumes are bad relative to how bad they could be. It's a minor accomplishment that decent actors playing comic book characters on screen don't look absolutely silly. Aside from that, the trailer gives me the impression that Zac Snyder is doing do what he wants to do and refuses to acknowledge the creative problems that bogged down Superman Vs Batman.Throwing a few jokes in won't make a movie less ponderous, just puts the ponderosity in more relief. Aliens attacking the earth? Well Avengers and others have gotten there first so they're already at a disadvantage. Why not have the League deal with something like Fukashima? It makes no sense that any entity who is intelligent enough to travel to earth from light years away is going to then engage in hand to hand combat with Aquaman. "Sardines - attack! Oysters - prepare to charge! Seahorses, uh... never mind"

Why did Warner Bros entrust this to him? They must not know the substance of one of their most valuable properties.

That said, only the first trailer. I would like to like the movie.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I guess mileage varies. I think Ben Affleck in particular looks pretty damn silly. The rubbery fake muscles built into the suits remind me of the fake muscle padding you see in children's superhero costumes these days. And I think beyond the lack of fidelity to the source material, the suits are just poorly designed, with far too many extraneous lines, textures, and busy details and doohickeys. Not to mention the lack of color, which misses the whole point of why superheroes wear costumes. I predict that in 20 years people will look back on these costumes and find them very silly.

I can understand them wanting to blatantly and unoriginally copy all the other movies that have been successful... that's what Hollywood does, of course. It's just such a poor fit for these characters. And it looks like they've really brought nothing new to the table. It's like they fed all the scripts for the successful superhero films of the past decade into a computer, and it collated them and spit this movie out. How about something different? Superhero comics have been successful for 75 years because they can tell an infinite variety of stories, yet the films seem to know how to do only one story. Know what I'd love to see? Affleck playing Batman in a film based on the DeMatteis/Giffen/Maguire Justice League. Ryan Reynolds (sadly miscast as Hal Jordan) would be the perfect Guy Gardner. David Ogden Stiers could reprise his role as the Martian Manhunter. Done right, I guarantee that would be a huge hit.

alexpop likes this.
  18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So you would rather have:

[​IMG]

Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, I'd say Affleck looks at least as silly as West does from the neck down, albeit in a completely different way. Anyway, the suggestion that these are our only two choices is a false dichotomy. Check out the Batman costume from the 14-year-old fan film linked below. Totally faithful to the comic version yet not a bit silly. It looks like it's made out of real cloth rather than latex and rubber with fake muscles. Why is it amateurs with no budget can do it better than Hollywood can?

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Done right, no movie with aliens attacking the Earth will be like Darkseid's forces!

The scale of those scenes in the trailer looks RIGHT!

With the New Gods Jack Kirby created some of the best characters in comics, and one of the all time greatest villains with Darkseid!

I know many and I do mean many comics fans dreams are coming true right now, and I'm one of them!

21. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think to be semi believable in the "real world" of live action movies Batman's costume can't just be a grey jumpsuit, it has to be body armour. Especially if he's doing things like fighting Superman.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

they didn't until they got tired of everyone whining about, I'd hazard a guess.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't know... nobody has a problem with the believability of Black Widow or Hawkeye being normal humans not wearing body armor yet surviving, do they? Is Batman even supposed to be wearing armor in the suit pictured upthread? Aren't we supposed to believe that the muscles sewn into the suit are his muscles, which would mean he's wearing something fairly skintight? And regardless, although I'm teeing off on Batman all the costumes are poorly designed... with all those overly busy lines, seams, and textures. they look incredibly cluttered.

24. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Ugh, I had somehow forgotten Snyder was still involved with this franchise. I'll try to remain optimistic....

25. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

The find haven't been that bad, and this one doesn't look half as bad as Suicide Squad. Marvel's still head and shoulders above em right now, but I'm hoping (desperately praying) that DC/WB can pull it together and give fans of the comics & characters something truly worthwhile. The Nolan Batman films were fantastic, but he took too many creative liberties with the character and lore, which is fine of course, but I'd like something a wee bit more faithful to the Bats we know and love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.