Justice League (2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to update this thread: here's a internet pundit who indicates that Warner Bros. is going into panic mode on bad early screenings for Justice League...

"I think what I heard was that there was a need from the studio to lighten up the film in a way, that the film felt too dark. I don’t know what that meant in terms of how it actually got translated in terms of the reshoots but that’s what I heard. That’s what I thought some of the reshoots were about.”

Justice League Too Dark For The Studio, Says New Report

Early Cut Of Justice League Deemed "Unwatchable," Substantial Changes Being Made

ShardEnder likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I mentioned the night time scenes in one of my earlier posts" why is DC Batman( related )so dark. Thor :Ragnarok blows it away in lightbulb switched on mode ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  3. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Are you saying that DC's comics are much darker than Marvel's at the moment? Because if so, I don't think that I would agree with that.

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm finishing up Stan Cornyn's History of Warner Brothers Records, which of course sheds some light on WB as a movie studio. It's striking how a record company was born of a strictly calculated commercial need, then steered to some extent by Reprise Records - motivated by Sinatra's artistic needs/ego gratification, then appropriated Atlantic Records and Ahmet and Nesuhi Ertegun's particular blend of comemrce and art, then 'merged' with Elektra and Asylum on its way to becoming to an increasingly unnimble behemoth that stomped through the charts in the 70's and 80's. But along the way, more and more people were involved at the top who clearly had no sense of the music business. (Though they seemed intelligent enough to give Mo Ostin and Joe Smith some latitude) That seems to be the case to some extent with movie studios now. If you have a property like Justice League and Superman, and you don't get what they're fundamentally about, you probably should listen to fans rather than Zack Snyder. Even reading this forum might have been enlightening.

Maybe JL will turn out ok, but they seem to be struggling, and have already screwed up Superman several times. Wrong people in the wrong business.

5. I think the biggest problem is that WB just doesn't want to commit to depicting Superman in particular as the character DC fans know and love due to a lack of faith in his core ideals and even appearance, so we're instead left with a series built around someone who is fundamentally wrong. Zack Snyder is content to treat everyone with the same approach that worked on Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, likely kept in control of the Extended Universe because of how well he adapted 300 and Watchmen (which also have their critics, let's not forget). However, it's coming at the cost of virtually every new installment, where talk of damage limitation surfaces before their release, only for the end products to double down on more of the same that's irritating so many. Can we expect a longer cut of Justice League down the line that attempts to address complaints about tonal inconsistencies and hopefully gives the CGI team extra time to make Cyborg in particular look better?

PhilBorder likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I gotta ask, 'cause it seems like some are talking about one thing and some another. When yr saying the WB/DC movies are 'dark', are we talking about the depiction of the DC universe (which is dark) or the general lighting in the movies (which is also dark)? Whichever it is, being a longtime DC comix fan, the flicks consistently dissapoint me.

7. Here's the final trailer:

While the visual nod to Superman The Movie should be a welcome touch, it doesn't feel even close to being earned yet in this universe, and I think it's hilarious DC/WB are still trying to keep his return a secret at such a late point in the promotional cycle. Also, do we really need any more dream sequences (or flashbacks, for that matter) in the ongoing cinematic continuity? As for the quality of the CGI, there are whole sections where it seems blatantly obvious we're looking at a bunch of actors simply captured in front of a green screen - the sequence with an unnaturally red sky in particular reminded me of the typical pre-rendered full motion video cut scenes from an original era PlayStation game!

All in? More like I'm out. Saying that, I'll probably watch the end result, anyway... chalk it up to morbid curiosity and the increasing chance this will be a further car crash in a young series I've already written off.

P.S. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of publicity for this, but fellow fans of the Christopher Reeve movies will surely be thrilled to learn that his original adventure has surfaced just this week via Warner Archive for the very first time in its extended international television cut, only now it's been restored from surviving uncropped elements with the audio newly "remixed" to faux stereo:

Superman The Movie: Extended Cut & Special Edition 2-Film Collection (BD) (MOD) |

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Green Lantern is the one who shows up.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

They can't possibly be trying that.

The very end of Batman v Superman basically guarantees it.

Proof? Speculation? Bashing face on keyboard?

Only November knows for sure.

Still, somebody else suggested that when the first trailer hit and I think it's likely. Just enough of a "gotcha" surprise that they'd do that.

10. We have gotten those proclamations from the various internet scribes on just about every DC movie. There is a virtual cottage industry on the net for trashing DC movies from WB before they are ever released. Wonder Woman also had these dire rumors that the movie was a disaster and that turned out fine.

How I suspect Justice League will turn out is a more streamlined, less confusing movie similar to Batman v Superman and made far more explicitly for casual fans.

11. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Let's hope it's dark and has at least 45 minutes of slow motion cape twirling.

12. Yes, the teaser at the very end of "BVS" can't be ignored, but it's almost as if they're still trying to give the impression Superman won't be in Justice League, despite Henry Cavill being on set and a toy line even leaking the outfit he'll be wearing for at least some of this latest film. His return is by far the worst kept secret ever, though it's not as if they could kill off such an iconic character for too long... I would hope that his temporary absence will result in a personality transplant, even if that seems unlikely at this stage in what is an already established tonally dark universe.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Dam it frigging Synder changed the origins of Steppenwolf Darkseids uncle huh?:faint:
    Oh for pete's sake! Darkseid is Darkseid he is above any one and anything else..
    "Comic geek rage" coming.. I watched all Superman The Animated series and most Justice League cartoons..
    This movie should never been made cartoons of dc characters are excellent..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2017
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that these comments were made 2 months ago. A lot can change, and I have confidence that if anybody can improve the film, Joss Whedon's the guy. But it's fair to say it's been a "troubled" production, as they say in Hollywood.

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Looks brilliant !!!
    Could have done without Heroes tune.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  17. alexpop

18. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Kids have to go see movies, but I can't imagine this being that good.

I'll be seeing it - I'm a kid at heart.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no superman......no justice league....at least not the one i grew with.

20. alexpop

But, he's in it ( a bit).

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

batman
    superman
    the martian manhunter (john jonz sp?)
    green arrow
    green lantern
    wonder woman
    flash
    aquaman

that was the justice league that i grew up with.

mark renard likes this.
  22. alexpop

Are they working on Superman's image?
    Growing a beard, getting rid of red pants perhaps ?

23. alexpop

Olde DC Aquaman looked even colorful back in the early sixties orange /green outfit. SubMariner looked the real mccoy in comparison. Ironically DC's film version of Aquaman looks like MarVel's Submariner.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  24. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

All way better than Cyborg imo.

25. alexpop

Yeah cyborg looks a bit cyboring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.