Justin Bieber Just Sold His Entire Music Catalog And Why Companies Are Eager To Strike These Deals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stereosound, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Good for him. After Dylan, Springsteen et al. he seems to be the first ‘new kid’ selling his catalogue.

More money, more problems ;)

kt66brooklyn and Alright4now like this.
  3. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Bob Dylan seems cheap now for 'only' 300 million.

4. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

$200 million! Go Biebs, go!

5. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

As the article says, they're an asset class for trading ( “What I wanted to do on behalf of the entire songwriter community is to really establish music as an asset class and create a market”). An example from the past is Subprime mortgages which were bundled up and sold in such a way that no-one really knew what they were buying anymore. What we learned in the aftermath of 2008 and are in the process of learning again with Crypto is some people have no shame whatsoever.

kt66brooklyn, IDwithnoE, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. As poster artist Alton Kelly once said, "I don't care how much money Columbia records paid Bob Dylan; they don't own one ****ing song of his." Those songs belong to the songwriter.

At the more mundane level of investment potential, some catalogs are blue chips, and some are not. The prospect of someone making a future profit from a Justin Bieber catalog purchased for $200 million requires a considerable leap of faith. But, "you gotta believe", "cannot win if you do not play", etc.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Vinyl_Blues and Ryan Lux like this.
  7. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Justin probably sold it for a bit too low. His fan base is still young compared to those of say Dylan or Frampton.

8. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

how can he sell something where there are dozens of other writers and producers involved? Does it get split among all the people listed in credits to his songs? Or did those people relinquish their rights to him?

Heart of Gold and elgoodo like this.
  9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The prospect of having to hear a Bieber song during a commercial is one more reason for me to never watch TV.

10. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Seems strange but he may regret this but of course I know no setails.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is all gonna collapse. These companies planned to bundle a bunch of these assets together and find foolish investors to overpay.

When you have Justin Bieber generating $200M for some aging masters that aren't definitive of a time and place and some co-writing credits on multi-writer tracks, it's crazy.

DTK, MarkTWIC, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]

Terry likes this.
  13. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

to the contractual fraction of every penny

AndrewK likes this.
  14. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

He owns a percentage interest, and he sells that percentage.

15. Just to add to the confusion there are two Hipgnosis: the UK based Hipgnosis Songs Fund ( which trades on UK stock exchange, I believe) and the private equity Blackstone Group backed Hipgnosis Song Management.

Sometimes it is not clear which one is doing the buying. In Sept the UK based group was having money problems and a falling stock price.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

He doesn't put out that much music.

What could Paul McCartney get??

Sean, longdist01 and Michael like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

[​IMG]

18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Could be a shrewd move. I know Justin Bieber has been around a long time and has been phenomenally successful, but his music seems very of it's moment and I can't imagine him having a decades long career at the level he's at now.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Good for him...

Jarleboy and longdist01 like this.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...Billion?

21. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

$200? Seems like they over-paid, but what do I know?

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Can't wait for all the Bieb's SACDs ;).

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Shrewd for him? Absolutely.

He's a pop artist. With a few notable exceptions (Monkees, for example) pop music has a very limited shelf life. And even if one or two of his songs turn to go-to evergreens of the era, it's not a catalog that's going to generate as-yet-unexpected riches.

24. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

He's had serious health problems and canceled his last tour. One side of his face is paralyzed from Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

There’s a generation of pop starts that’ll come up in the next 10-15 years and they will have grown up with his music and will borrow/interpolate his melodies/hooks, and someone will get paid for that.

Man at C&A and Jarleboy like this.