KAB Modified Technics

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nephrodoc, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident Thread Starter

My tonearm bearings were wearing out on my SL1210 MK2. I thought about selling it and going with the P6/Ania combo, but that was going to be very expensive. After speaking with with Kevin at KAB, decided to keep the Technics, and sent him my turntable.

Once he received it, he gave me a detailed report on what needed to be done and what upgrades would be most cost effective. Main upgrades was a new tonearm with upgraded tonearm wiring, cardas cables, tonearm damper, strobe disabler, new regulator and a few other tweaks. I have already been using the PROS30 cart that I’ve had for about 9 months now.

I have had it back for about a week now, and wow. The difference is just amazing. Immediately noticed the vocals are much more life like, highs are much more refined. I played a few of my favorite Neil Young albums and they sound so much more lively now.

Very happy with this upgrade. I highly recommend KAB if anyone wants to take their Technics to the next level.

Fish17, McLover, Shawn and 8 others like this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Kevin Barrett is one of the honest good guys of audio.

Fish17, JackG, snorker and 1 other person like this.
  3. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I just googled this site. That's awesome. I've gotta remember this (or bookmark) for later use.

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I just recommended KAB to a nice fellow at my local Salvation Army. I own a hot-rodded SL1200MKII which I purchased from action pact a few years ago. I also have a stock 1200MKII and the difference is extreme. I don't see ever needing an upgrade from the modded one. I may at some point have the stock deck overhauled by Kevin but for now it is serving it's purpose in my bedroom system.

Michael Rose likes this.
  5. A few years ago I looked into all the KAB upgrades for my 1210MKII. At the time, given the cost, I went with a Jelco 750 arm. I installed the arm myself, thanks to the many Youtube DYI videos and the total cost was slightly below $700.00 yet the big plus, was I didn't have to ship the TT. I have do not have the OEM box and shipping TT's can be a pain. I am not sure which is better, KAB's time honored tweaks or a new arm. Me, I took the easy way and have ZERO regrets.

displayname, Benzion and missan like this.
  6. Michael Rose

Any clue if KAB deals anything with Audio-Technica LP-120? Just wondering.

7. Michael Rose

I would consider KAB for buying one of their upgraded re-furbs. $750 - 800 seems a pretty good deal.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  8. Curious what benefit disabling the strobe creates?

9. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Shawn likes this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Nope. I've tried - he adamantly refuses to touch them. The Pioneer PLX too. He's almost religiously devoted to Technics, and deems every clone thereof as dirt.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Indeed. Yet Panasonic won’t let him sell the new ‘tables. Go figure.

12. Michael Rose

Thanks for the response. I will still consider KAB when I could safely afford to upgrade. I know the technics 1200 series is the workhorse table that I'd love to own but the at-120 is good for the money. Better than most anything that I've researched for <$500. I know I am the FIRST person to ever claim this. :agree:

13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I've never heard him say that.

However, if you're gonna build a turntable refurb business around any deck... ...very smart and understandable choice from a business point of view.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, reliable, honest, and no nonsense. He sells performance, sells results, and honest build and engineering. He's recommended.

snorker, action pact and Michael Rose like this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I don't think I have ever read any negative comments about his products and services. Not one.

McLover likes this.
  16. Benzion

I didn't hear that either - we communicated by email. The gentleman who services my TT's knows him personally and confirms his nearly religious devotion to Technics, and nothing else. I'll give you an example - I asked him to install his fluid damper on the Pioneer PLX (it was my condition to buying one) and he flatly refused, and even assured me it wouldn't fit the tonearm. Lo an behold - this forum is full of people who have DIY installed the KAB damper on the PLX arm and couldn't be happier, as it was a perfect fit and a great improvement to the otherwise mediocre arm that also has a reputation for being loose. In the end - I didn't buy the PLX and don't regret it, since the new 1200 came out.

I do admire his devotion, though, I wish Shure had the same to their cartridges...

17. Benzion

Honestly - I can't agree with you. I also run an AT-120, as my desktop deck, for vinyl drops. And, when I dropped the idea of buying the PLX, yet before the new 1200 came out, I decided to stick with the 120 and go the upgrade/modification route. I had the pre/USB professionally removed, with soldering instead of splicing afterwards, I installed a much better cartridge on it (AT7V), installed it on isolation feet, and, while still in my fairly mid-fi desktop system - it sounded much better to me.

But then, at some point, I though that it must be good enough now to be played in a good system. So - I rotated it into my living room main system, replacing a Denon DP-60L, which I moved into the bedroom. And then - and only then did I discover what a real POS the deck is, compared to "real" decks.

It is decidedly a mid-fi component, and sounds relatively good in a similarly mid-fi system, especially when you're not comparing it to something better you'd just heard. But, put it into a more revealing hi-fi chain, especially replacing something better with it - and the downgrade in SQ will become immediately apparent and clear. I've since moved it back to desktop, and don't really play it, unless I'm too lazy to turn the big system on, or for an occasional vinyl drop. I don't have high demands of vinyl drops, as I'm not into the "files" or "hi-rez" game at all, and only do it to put songs into my phone, for portable music. It's certainly good enough for an mp3, but will never be put into any of my two good "systems" again. If I ever get a bigger place - I might add it to a third, mid-fi system, for which I have other components boxed up, but nothing more than that ever again.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  18. Michael Rose

Going from the lp-60 to the 120, was a great bump up. Look at my profile page. Based on my existing set up, this deck is my "Hi-Fi". I'm sure you've done your research, this deck consistently tops the list of turntables < $500. But of course, our ears and listening environment are not the same. So as the term goes around here, YMMV.

19. Benzion

That explains it. You were going up the ladder, I was coming down.

Michael Rose likes this.
  20. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I picked up a used Technics SL1200MK2 off craig's list. Since I was not to far from Kevin's base of operations, I made arrangements to bring him the turntable for upgrades as opposed to shipping it. He truly is a character and I had such a great time shooting the breeze with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.