KAB Ortofon Concorde back in stock (Reloop branding)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Nov 19, 2020.

1. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

This impact is just that - hard-hitting without flabbiness. High quality impact for sure, and to me, it doesn’t come at the expense of the other parts of the sound spectrum. I’m very impressed with this cart.

aphexacid and ShallowMemory like this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Completely agreed.

ShallowMemory likes this.
  3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

On the Reloop website it says about the Concorde Black "slight accentuation of the bass range". Has anyone experienced this? I've got a Stylus 20 on a Super OM body, I've ordered the Concorde to compare.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I think using the Stlus 30 on the Concorde basically turns it into a Bronze. The Concorde Century is basically a Concorde version of the Bronze...but looks really sharp with the chrome finish

McLover and Oelewapper like this.
  5. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I think the Super OM 30 is closer to the Bronze, I have both. The OM body has more subdued high frequencies, which I think is closer to a Pro S Concorde. Personally I’m not a huge fan of Chrome in general, so the Century looks tacky to me, no offense to any century owners.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

AFAIK, the OM30, Century and Bronze styli are more or less the same.
    I agree that the shiny mirror like chrome finish on the Century is a bit cheesy on a black turntable, but on my silver 1200G it fits quite nicely (matte silver like the Concorde Pro would’ve been the best).
    It’s a finger print magnet though.
    The Century driver is the same as the 2M Bronze/Black, but with silver wiring instead.
    The “tube” part of the Century body has damping insulation added on the inside to reduce resonance.

aphexacid likes this.
  7. luckybaer

I’d say that’s accurate. By far the most bass of any cart I own.

8. aphexacid

Agree about the stylus for sure. I’ve tried the 30 stylus on a standard OM cart and it sounds basically identical to the Concorde with the 30. The Super OM body with the 30 sty sound more similar to the bronze. Something with the super om body, I forget what they changed but it brings out more high freqs of the styli.

If they made a black chrome version of the Century, I’d be all over it!

9. aphexacid

What are they comparing it to? I bought a couple of the Reloop Concordes, I can’t tell a difference with my Concorde Pro S. All the styli I’ve tried sound the same. Between the 2.

patient_ot likes this.
  10. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Do you prefer the 30 stylus on the Concorde or Super OM?

11. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

First impressions with the Concorde Black, I'm finding the Super OM body far superior, it's not even close.

12. luckybaer

I might buy a Super OM with STY20 or 10 and swap the STY40 from my Concorde Black. Just to see if I notice anything.

SNDVSN and ultron9 like this.
  13. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

In the UK you can only buy the Super OM with the 5e stylus, which makes it pretty cheap.

14. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Could you elaborate...how is it's better!

15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Much sweeter in the treble, better stereo separation, tighter deeper bass and strangely the output is higher from the Super OM. The Concorde just sounds dull in comparison. Not to blow my own trumpet but I do have a revealing system.

16. luckybaer

I can get one with a STY10 for $72 + shipping, so that isn't crazy. If I have a good month, I'll spring for that instead of 3 bottles of vodka.

McLover and SNDVSN like this.
  17. ultron9

Interesting observations...I may have to get a Super OM cartridge without the stylus preferably to compare to the Reeloop...I've ordered one from KAB with Stylus 20.

SNDVSN likes this.
  18. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I have not heard the brand-new concord bodies. But the old concord bodies that KAB sold sounded terrible when compared to the Super OM bodies on my system as well.

It is extremely disappointing that they didn't use the same motors as the Supers in these bodies.

SNDVSN likes this.
  19. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The Concorde is 6 grams heavier than the Super OM with Technics headshell and is designed to track at 4g while the OM tracks at 1.5g. Two very different set ups.

20. aphexacid

Personally, I like an either neutral or more laid back sound. I feel like every OM stylus I’ve tried on my Super OM body sounds overly bright. The same stylus on the regular om body sounds much more pleasing to me. It’s not that it loses detail, just doesn’t have that extra top end the super does. The only one that sounded acceptable to me was the 30 stylus on the super body. I think that’s because that one has bit of more of a rolled off top end in general. So the super body brings a bit more pizaz out of it.

Overall, I like the Concorde body best. Someone here said it lacks bass compared to the OM bodies. Not on my Technics 1200 on my system. Opposite actually.

On my 2 1200’s right now, I have a Pro S 40 on one, and a VM540 with shibata stylus. Loving the sound on both

Oelewapper, ultron9 and snorker like this.
  21. ultron9

Just got my Reloop/Stylus 20 combo from KAB...so far very clean tracking. I thought the output would be a lot greater than my TM 20H cartridge rated at 3.5db vs the Reloop at 5.5db. My phono pre-amp gain is 37mv. Guess I'll have to break it in and see how things progress.

22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I think you have your decibels mixed up with your millivolts :)

MusicNBeer likes this.
  23. ultron9

Yes,my apologies, 37db of gain and 3.5mV for my old TM 20H.

Davey likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Idk how the superOM body sounds like, but the various DJ Concordes I own are definitely a bit bassy indeed, I think to make beatmatching a bit easier.

So what you hear is my experience too, however the Century is fairly flat in frequency response compared to those and a tad of brightness in the top end, but has inherited that quick and agile transient response with percussive sounds.
    Maybe that also applies to the anniversary 40 Concorde, since both are specifically designed for HiFi.

aphexacid likes this.
  25. luckybaer

I mentioned earlier that the new Reloop Concorde Black w/STY40 is the biggest bass cart I’ve got. It isn’t close.

aphexacid likes this.