KAB Ortofon Concorde back in stock (Reloop branding)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Might as well add the 3dB gain with the preamp/integrated amp.
    It doesn’t really matter where you apply the gain.
    37dB gain with 5.5mV from the cartridge makes ~389 mV, which is already fairly high for a consumer line-level input (316mV nominal).

ultron9 likes this.
  2. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

In my system it doesn't sound like the Concorde Black is putting out 5.5mv, my Super OM at 4mv is way louder. I also use a VM95ml which is rated at 3.5mv and is very similar volume wise to the Concorde. I'm using a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE with 41db gain.

ultron9 likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Yes, cartridge output voltage ratings aren’t always dead accurate.
    But if it’s far off, you should sent it back for a replacement.

ultron9 likes this.
  4. Julio Alejandro

Julio Alejandro Well-Known Member

Work perfect on my PLX-1000. The PLX has is 54mm because the arm has 2mm less than technics.

5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

My KAB 40 still sounding great. I was really focused on getting a Concorde century, however, I think I am good now for a while.

6. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

Every since I got a 40 stylus, I’ve pretty much forgotten about the 30. Will probably list it for sale.

My 2 faves right now: Pro S 40 and AT VM-540SH. Haven’t looked in any direction in months. Finally in my happy place haha

Soundslave, johnny q and Oelewapper like this.
  7. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I mostly buy audiophile lps ( MoFi, AP, etc). The KAB/40 really brings out the detail. With many audiophile pressings, surface noise is minimal.
    Back in the day, Concordes also had MC versions. That would be a nice surprise if Ortofon ever decided to go that route.

woodpigeon and johnny q like this.
  8. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

So, my understanding is the KAB/40 (or any of the Ortofon styli mounted to the Concorde) is plug n play when installed on SL-1200's? Meaning you mount it, balance the arm and set tracking force and you are done. Is that correct? That would mean even a knucklehead like me could set it up.

9. Madison Mike

Madison Mike Forum Resident

Yes. Overhang and alignment should be perfect on any Technics arm according to KAB. I like the fact that one section of "cable" is eliminated: from cart to arm. I'll be pulling the trigger on a 30 or 40 soon.

McLover and johnny q like this.
  10. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Correct johnny q. Best of all, it sounds awesome too, at least with Sty40 it does.

johnny q likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

Don’t forget anti skating and VTA.
    If your tonearm SME connector has a bit of play in it (so that the cartridge can rotate), you should check the azimuth as well.

But no alignment or mounting bolts/wiring.

johnny q likes this.
  12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

yes plus all the OM stylus weigh the same, so if you, lets say, use the om 78 for 78's, you do not have to readjust the tone arm. East switch

johnny q likes this.
  13. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

VINYL NEWBIE ALERT: Thanks for this thread, guys -- I just bought the KAB/40 but am not sure what I just bought!

I am a new SL1200 mk2 owner and got it with a used Ortofon Concorde DJ (blue and orange one) with a Pro S stylus. Being new to vinyl, I have no basis for comparison. Everything works and it sounds good but when my wife bought it from the seller (birthday present for me) he mentioned that it was a DJ cartridge/stylus and that it should probably be upgraded.

System context:
    SL1200mk2 => Little Bear T11 tube phono pre => Line Magnetic LM-218ia (SET amp) = Polk LSi15 speakers (Omega Outlaw Super 3XRS with active subs arriving this Friday).

I bought the Kab/40 mostly because of this thread. My mk2 didn't come with a headshell and I didn't really know which way to go. I have read all of KAB's site and at some point will likely have him do all of his updates to my Mk2, but that fact that the Ortofon basically screws right in, a few adjustments, and I'm listening to tunes is definitely appealing.

Based on comments here, I am wondering if I should've gone with the OM rather than the Concorde Black because of the bass -- but again I have nothing by way of experience or comparison.

Do you good folks think the KAB/40 will be a noticeable improvement over my existing Ortofon Concorde DJ + Pro S? Is the 40 Stylus the right choice for high mid and high-end detail? Should I have leaned toward the OM?

Thanks!!

-Chris

14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

you will get more detail. I think you’ll hear a huge improvement.

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  15. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Does anyone know if they will sell the cart with no stylus? Like if I already have a stylus? Thx!

16. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

I don't think so, but I just listed my 40 in the classifieds here for $300 but the admin for some reason deleted it without any explanation.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I saw that earlier. It might be because the seller has to pay the PayPal fees according to the forum rules. I will PM you

18. Just purchased the ortofon OM 40 f g, ortofon 2m black, Audio-Technica 440 m l b and ortofon test record. Om 40 tracking at 1.75 G did not start distorting until 90 um at 315hz track. 2m black began distortion on 70 um at 315 h z with tracking set at 1.75 G. Audio-Technica 440 m l b set at 1.6 breezed through all of the tracks with only slight distortion on the last track at 100 um 315 h z! Using sumiko headshell hs1 on Audio Technica 440 and ortofon 2m black. Audio-Technica cartridge setup is heaviest, have to move the counterweight way back. Audio-Technica has the least amount of sibilance and inner Groove distortion. They are all great sounding cartridges in their own way. Audio-Technica is amazing what they achieve for the price. The 2m black cartridge surprised me as being the worst tracking of all. It got spit out of the track at 90 um 315 h z! Om 40 seems to excel at retrieving information from the mid-range. 2m black excels with a fat bottom end. Audio-Technica 440 m l b eliminates sibilance best but might be a little bright for some. Not sure if that can be tamed with picofarads and capacitance adjustment in the phono preamp. Still learning and not sure how those affect the sound. Cables / interconnects can change capacitance also I believe.

Oelewapper and Soundslave like this.
  19. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Oh yes, and AT needs low capacitance. Many people takes a neutral and detailed cartridge (as AT) and named it as "bright" ... sometimes because the cartridge it's not correctly configured or sometimes compared with a darker cartridge.
    You know that subjective opinion is generally a comparative, you need a reference to say "it sounds xxxx".

For me AT is flat, neutral and detailed and Ortofon is more an equalizer in V format. If your ear likes that kind of sound, AT will be "bright".

McLover and Metamorphcycle like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, Stanton 681 A flat and accurate. 681 EEE-S II best. AT bright and excessive detail (and too finicky on capacitance load), though I like the VM 520Eb upward in terms of tracking.

jusbe and Metamorphcycle like this.
  21. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I think AT it's awesome regarding tracking and price / performance ratio. You can like the sound or not, that's another story.

Metamorphcycle likes this.
  22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

Love the Stanton/Pickerings. I’ve never heard the 681 moving iron, but I’ve found my Stanton 981LZS, 981HZS and Pickering 5000 models to sound most accurate, and they track best by far. The Concorde Pro S 40 is not far off though. A little warmer than neutral, and still tracks well.

jusbe, patient_ot and McLover like this.
  23. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

No surprise to me at all and totally corresponds with the stylus shapes on those carts. Shibata being the fatter and older design (still a line contact!) on Black vs a FG II (which is close to vdH shape) vs the most modern of them all ML, that features the smallest tip radius. As should it be per specs.

Metamorphcycle likes this.
  24. Oelewapper

Same experiences here.
    Audio Technica cartridges are generally better at tracking.
    Recently got a new AT-OC9XEN (nude elliptical LOMC), which tracks up to 90um without distortion - beats most of my Ortofons.
    By using my Ortofon test record and making notes, I concluded that some AT carts are even better at tracking than certain Ortofon DJ Concordes, while those are specifically designed for solid tracking.
    However, I don’t exactly know how this is useful in real world HiFi applications.
    Maybe useful for tracking heavily warped records and those that’re cut “hot”/very heavy bass modulation.
    Idk.

Metamorphcycle, Davey and Soundslave like this.
  25. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle

I know it probably doesn't apply to you with your SPL Phonos, which I assume has a very high input overload margin with the high voltage supplies, but many modern phono stages have an overload margin that is close to the same level as these test tracks will generate when you get into that 90-100um range, which I think is around +18dB, so that can come into play too.

patient_ot and Oelewapper like this.