KAB TD-1000 Fluid Damper for Technics SL1000R / 1200-1210 GAE, G, & GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Apr 3, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

The old Technics EPA-100 tonearm had damping. I saw an SP-10 Mk3 for sale with one recently. Kind of surprised they didn’t use that (or a version of it) on the SL-1000R.

5-String likes this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yep, I’ve paper toweled mine off before, seemed to work fine.

My reason for trying to clean it more thoroughly with alcohol would be to hopefully eliminate the issue altogether.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  3. carlsor

carlsor Forum Resident

Just put a KAB fluid damper on my Technics 1210G. Yeah! all of the above.
    I can see why at least half of the Technics TT tweakers say that the KAB fluid damper made more difference than any other upgrade.
    Like a new arm upgrade. Every aspect of the music changes a bit - all for the better, especially the bass.
    Better instruments/vocal separation with a more natural balance from top to bottom. Recessed musical content given more definition.

4. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Just got a 1210 mk 2 and was thinking of getting a fluid damper and a at6006 safety raiser I wonder if they will both fit, did you do it in the end?

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I think the only way to add an arm lift and the KAB TD-1000 would be to get a 1500c (or 100c?).
    Once you setup either the damper or the auto lift that is all the room there is, with no allowance for the other.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Nope. One obstructs the other so you have to choose.

patient_ot likes this.
  7. Technocentral

Yep, I just got the At6006, has to be so close to the arm mechanism to work that it would never allow for the other thing.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. Technocentral

9. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yep unfortunately it's a choice between a convenience upgrade and performance upgrade.
    The amount of performance gains from a damper varies depending on the cartridge used though, so you might not be missing out that much anyways... It'll probably be more noticeable with your AT-OC9XML, while it does little to a VM500 or VM95 series cartridge IME.

Fits right in. Looks almost like the turntable came with it preinstalled... nice!

Technocentral likes this.
  10. Technocentral

It is actually very good, it works on lps that go right to the label and 7inch singles, took me a long time to mount it perfectly so won't be getting the KAB.

11. Technocentral

Update: I got one of the Meta Labs dampers from Greece and the at 6006 also fits beside it (tight fit but absolutely fine.) v happy with the damping particularly with the oc9.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  12. solstice69

solstice69 Forum Resident

Hi, I ordered one of the KAB TD-1000 for my 1200G, mainly because of the praise here. It will arrive in a few days and I am still not sure, how much silicone needs to be filled in. AFAIK the manufacturer recommends half filling, some suggest this would damp too much and go for 1/3.
    What is common sense of this? Which do you prefer?

13. Start off 1/3 then add accordantly. You can always remove the excess. Enjoy!

14. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

I filled mine 1/2 way, as per the instructions, and I'm very happy with it.

luckybaer, patient_ot and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. solstice69

solstice69 Forum Resident

thanks! I guess I'll start with 1/3 and then go up

16. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

The damping oil viscosity should really be chosen to match the cartridge compliance for best results. I think he supplies something like 60k cst oil with the kit, which is probably too much damping for most users, but makes the effect of the added damper very noticeable. My personal advice is to order some lower viscosity oil, something around 10k or less, it's pretty cheap since it is used as differential fluid for model car racing. If you don't have enough fluid depth in the damper trough, the damping will be less linear since most of the paddle will not be in the fluid. I think it is better to fill it more with lighter fluid, based on my own experience, but my experience is with a different tonearm so not directly applicable. In any case, for best results you have to experiment, and be honest in your evaluation. Added tonearm damping can be very beneficial, but can also detract from the sound quality if taken too far, it's a delicate balance.

BTW, you can mix and match the oils to change viscosity, you don't have to remove all the old oil. I keep some 2k cst on hand for fine tuning, but I don't like much damping in my setup, tends to rob a little magic at higher viscosities. Definitely live with it for a little while, and then do a listening test with the paddle in and out of the trough, make sure results are positive across the spectrum. If not, make an adjustment and repeat.

17. narud

narud Forum Resident

Wait, so the at lifter and the meta damper will work together? I’ve been using the meta damper on a 1700mk2 but have been thinking about eventually getting a gr. That would be killer to be able to use both.

18. Technocentral

Works on my Mk 2,as I said a tight fit but works perfectly.

[​IMG]

19. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I started by filling about 1/3 and then listened. Then, I added some more and listened. I did this a few times until I felt what I was hearing was overdamped and then sucked some back out.

solstice69, ubiknik and Danmar like this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So, the Meta damper allows clearance for the AT lifter, but the KAB damper does not, or?
    BTW Does the AT lifter stick to the surface or it relies on its own weight?

21. KeithL

KeithL Forum Resident

The AT-6006 has a self-adhesive pad to stick it to the top plate.

22. Technocentral

Yes and yes on my sl1210 mk2 at least. I posted a pic of both together above.

23. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

is there a link to this Meta Labs dampener? Can't quite seem to find it.

aunitedlemon likes this.
  24. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Ditto. I looked for a site too, unsuccessfully.

25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

meta_lab on eBay