KAB TD-1000 Fluid Damper for Technics SL1000R / 1200-1210 GAE, G, & GR

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Apr 3, 2018.

1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

I’d email him. [email protected]

Oelewapper likes this.
  2. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I'm another using the KAB damper on an SL1200G & its effects have been wholly positive in my system.

I didn't have an issue with subsonic pumping on warps etc as this arm seems to track very well as is, however having installed a damper on someone else's 1200G, image sharpness was noticeably improved compared to an already excellent soundstage (maybe improved arm stability is the cause). Prior to this I was a cynic about such things, given the overall quality 'sound' of this turntable but listening to the friends turntable was something of a revelation.

The degree of 'resistance' & therefore damping will vary depending on how much silicone fluid is used. I have the trough around 1/3 full.

(I didn't need to import to Europe as I have family in CA and visit for a large part of each year - email Kevin and ask, he is very responsive & helpful).

3. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Fluid damping is a major reason I love Jelco arms. I say go for it, full steam ahead.

4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I have requested a quote and the seller replied very quickly.
    Only 15 dollars shipping, which is very reasonable for international shipping.
    So I immediately ordered the TD-1000 silver.

recstar24 and snorker like this.
  5. Benzion

Are you using the brush on your Shure? I have my 97HE tracking at 1.5 g with the brush, as recommended, and it pretty much never skips, unless there is a veritable hill/crater in the vinyl.

6. snorker

Probably don’t need the brush and fluid damping ‘arm. You may want to try without the brush and see how it goes.

7. Benzion

It certainly doesn't hurt.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Any particular reason for filling 1/3 and not all the way to 1/2? I’m wondering whether it’s worthwhile to experiment with removing some.

9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Actually, I would expect the two to act together to be even more effective than either alone.

10. snorker

I really don’t know...I’m just not a fan of the brushes. I’ve got several Stanton and Pickering carts I’ve tried with and without the brush, and I definitely prefer without. It’s too hard to cue, and I feel why have 500 tiny bristles “playing” the surface of the record and causing extra vibration on the stylus assembly. The advantage is that they act as a damper, but with the fluid damping on the arm it’s not necessary.

Just my personal preference, YMMV, etc.

Big Blue likes this.
  11. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I initially tried various depths from about 1/5.
    In my system 1/2 reduced dynamics/transient attack compared to 1/3 (I use very large Open Baffle speakers which have lightning fast transient response & changes like this were/are noticeable).

One other point I should like to make is that I stored the syringe on a shelf after use and found a pool of silicone all round it - completely drained away. I was back in the UK at the time, emailed Kevin & got an instant response that he was mailing a replacement to my CA address which I collected a few weeks later on return. I therefore recommend replacing the cork bung between use (& as a precaution I have put it in an 'airline liquid' bag but I see that it remains leak free anyway).

Big Blue likes this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, it’s pretty messy stuff, which is why I hesitate to play around with removing/adding fluid unless it’s going to make a noticeable difference. I do have the cork in and everything in a bag, but I should probably check on it to see how it’s doing, leak-wise.

13. Oelewapper

Okay, this afternoon the tonearm damper was delivered and I installed it.
    I've had like 3 hours of listening with the damper equipped now.
    This might be the best upgrade for the SL-1200G I've had so far.
    I was very skeptical when I ordered it and was like: well... no risk, no gain, so let's try, just in case it might actually do something.
    The past two years I've added Isonoe feet and sorbothane pads under the TT, upgraded all cables, upgraded to a magnesium headshell... etc.
    Every upgrade made things a bit better, but this time the improvement is the most notable.
    I'm glad I gave it a try, I can highly recommend this upgrade to other 1200G owners.

14. Oelewapper

I just tested it with a Concorde Century (nude fineline), which is relatively light compared to a headshell mounted cartridge.
    Gives good results as well.

15. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I don't have a brush on the Shure. I don't have one for that cartride. I bought it used (came with old turntable I had before the Technics) and replaced old stylus with JICO SAS.

16. Giorgio77

Giorgio77 Member

17. Oelewapper

18. Giorgio77

Giorgio77 Member

The seller says it is made of polycarbonate (high strength material intended for tough environments and engineering applications).
    I've got it in my turntable ( silver version )

19. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Does the fluid expire ? What if it gets dust in it ?

20. Giorgio77

Giorgio77 Member

Now I have almost two years in my turntable
    I've had it for almost two years in my turntable without any problems

Opeth likes this.
  21. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I would imagine you just add some new fluid. But it seems like this isn't an issue for most owners.

Opeth likes this.
  22. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Lasts a very long time. I’ve changed it only a couple times no major objects in it. Just quetip it out.

Opeth, 33na3rd and displayname like this.
  23. snorker

Folks, this is a knock-off of the KAB damper. No effort to even disguise it. :tsk:

rebellovw likes this.
  24. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Also, this is a thread for the GAE,G & GR whereas the copy is advertised as for Mk2, 3, 5.

snorker likes this.
  25. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Fluid evaporates at an incredibly slow rate. You may need to top up once a year, if even. The silicone can be purchased from Kevin direct, or locally at any hobby shop (model car gear fluid). If you have a dust cover, dust is not an issue.
    Definitely worth it. Kevin is great guy, and this add-on isn't a tweak as much as a slam-dunk upgrade.

Westly197, snorker and Opeth like this.