Kamasi Washington - The Epic - New West Coast Spiritual Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Well, most of what I heard from Alchemy Mastering sounds very good. I hope this one sounds great, wonderful album... expected early in October 2015. :)

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It looks as though they shuffled the tracklisting somewhat -- at least based on Amazon's listing for the vinyl (which admittedly might be incorrect)...

3. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The artwork shows the same reordered tracklist
    [​IMG]

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Ah okay -- I couldn't zoom in to see the tracklistings. Interesting that it was reshuffled -- it seems like a lot of time and thought has gone into this vinyl presentation of the album.

5. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

It was reshuffled to make it 58 minutes a disc and to make the sides more evenly split time wise. Still don't like Brainfeeder's response posted above. Not convincing in the least. Very strange decision to not use 4 discs. It would be a normal 45 minutes a side on 4 discs. This length on a disc seems unprecedented for a release claiming high fidelity half speed cutting. Anyone know of any examples?

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

I'm picturing zero run-out grooves

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

that's an outright lie to claim that dynamically-rich music can be cut at nearly 30 minutes per side with no sacrifice in audio quality. the response from Brainfeeder is a classic non-answer. expect audio compressed to crap.

Defrance and scotth like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

not necessarily. most likely, however.

9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The Epic is such an awesome album. Each cd has its own flow. The whole thing comes together. The new arrangement of Cherokee on Discc 3 is totally groovy. This is my number 1 album for 2015..I don't see how anything else will be able to beat it, unless some rare soundboards of the Coltrane quartet + Eric Dolphy are found.

Defrance likes this.
  10. motionoftheocean

no, you can't cut 30-minute per side records with 9 instruments playing and expect it to sound good. I assume the decision to go with 3 records rather than 4 was a cost-cutting measure, but if you're going to promote the thing on the basis of quality, charge the premium and cut 4 records.

Defrance and scotth like this.
  11. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Get Happy doesn't sound all that terrible, but that's pop music.

e.s. and Former Scientist like this.
  12. motionoftheocean

by whom?

13. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

That's right! They even boasted of the good job they did in the sleeve notes, so it's possible to do this, cut long sides with good sound quality.

e.s. likes this.
  14. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Can you give me an example? I'm not sure "not all that terrible" counts. I don't know though since I haven't heard that one.

15. Former Scientist

This is Elvis Costello's Get Happy! Which is about 25 minutes per side and sounds pretty good on my ancient system...I am no audiophile, but it's a nice, clear and strong reproduction of a four piece band playing stax influenced pop, for the most part. I already have The Epic on CD, so I'm going to get the vinyl for its aesthetic value as much as anything else, but I don't fear the groove cramming....I'm hopeful!

e.s. and scotth like this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Well, perhaps compact disk will be the preferred format for this title... that would truly SUCK imho! This album deserves killer vinyls.

Cancelled my pre-order, took the cash refund, until I better understand what is going down here.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  17. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I haven't gotten a chance to hear the album yet, I was hoping to get it on vinyl. My concern isn't that I don't think it can't be successfully cut on vinyl with 30 minute sides and sound good (or at least, satisfactory), my main concern is that it's going to be too quiet. Even the best pressing plants have at least a tiny tic here and there, and those tics don't get quieter just because it's a quieter cut. The box claims this one was pressed in the EU and I'm betting GZ Vinyl. I don't think you can fit three 180 gram LPs, three full colored jackets, a slipcase box, and a great pressing plant in a 40 dollar market price. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Defrance, scotth and VinylRob like this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm leaning towards the digital format at this point. He's coming to town in a month or two to a small club. I'm going to try and make that gig on Sept. 18th. Appears to be a "warm up" gig for San Francisco and the East Coast that follows.

19. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Seeing him at Harlows in Sacramento in a couple of weeks. Can't wait!

20. FrixFrixFrix

East coast tour is happening right now. Going to see him in NYC tomorrow night.

drasil likes this.
  21. motionoftheocean

there's a pretty massive difference sonically between cutting 24+ minutes per side and cutting 30 per side.

rockinlazys and scotth like this.
  22. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

They should let someone independent with credibility review a test pressing. Otherwise, it'll be tough to believe this is going to be what it should be... the jazz vinyl album of the year.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'm totally with you, but i'm telling you: i've got two def leppard LPs that have something to tell you.

24. Former Scientist

Fair enough...but I also have The Best of Budgie, which is rock, but is about 30 minutes per side, pressed in 1975, and also sounds great. It can be done.

25. FrixFrixFrix

Last night's show at the Blue Note was amazing! If you have the opportunity to see these guys on tour, DO NOT pass it up. There was an unbelievable amount of talent crammed onto that tiny little stage.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.