Kamasi Washington - The Epic - New West Coast Spiritual Jazz

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Apr 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

According to Kamasi's website, the release date is October 2, 2015. But maybe there's some sort of special promotion at select stores, since Dusty Groove also has today listed as the release date (but they don't have it in-stock online yet). Hope you get yours today!

http://www.kamasiwashington.com/

beverett likes this.
  2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Official release date is October 2.

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

4. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

How does it sound???

5. Arkay_East

Just got home. Plan to listen tonight after the kids are in bed but I'll report back.

Naughty Chord and LavidDange like this.
  6. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

It's out at select record stores as part of that whole "Weekly Record Store Day" thing. Apparently by "Weekly Record Store Day" they just mean you can pick up select titles three days early.

7. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Sure, happens all the time, actually depending on the country it's very common to see new releases in stores 4 or 5 days before the official release date. Being available does not change the official release date, for this particular LP it is October 2 regardless of it being available or not before that day.

It's just a target date, depending on how distribution circuits flow in certain areas of each country (or the world), it will be available sooner, or later... ;)

Only in the case of major reissues like a new "Madonna" album or something, with huge global release, things are planned and executed to meet much stricter guidelines.

8. Arkay_East

Sure. I spoke to both stores (and the owner of the store where I bought the album). They were given permission by the label to put the records out today in both cases (it was "in the computer"). Both stores had 5 copies.

So I guess the lesson is : if you have been waiting several months for an album and there are limited copies in your area, call on Tuesday. ;)

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

My store gets their new releases on Thursdays, so I'm hopeful they'll get it in this week. I was there on Friday, so I know they didn't have it in yet.

10. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

Is this a tri-fold type cover or is it a box à la All Things Must Pass?

Man I hope this vinyl is good. I want it so bad I can taste it. But I'll probably go with the hi-res download if vinyl reviews come in cold.

11. Arkay_East

It's a box :righton:

Naughty Chord likes this.
  12. Arkay_East

Ok so it sounds fine. Nice pressing, no noise. The dynamics are great which is surprising.

The material is incredible. This album really covers a lot of ground.

e.s., sassi, SteelyTom and 7 others like this.
  13. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

My local record store tell me there is a two week delay for this set in Australia due to supply problems.

14. MrTrickle

MrTrickle Forum Resident

Thanks for this! Appreciate you taking the time to give us your thoughts. Still on the fence about vinyl vs hi-rez for an album this long. But it really is a great record. And I'm glad he's having enough success with it that a vinyl pressing is even financially feasible. :righton:

Arkay_East and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. Arkay_East

Yep. It's an expensive pressing but I do think it packs a lot of value. As a person who would fork over $40 for a Miles Davis MFSL LP I'm not dissapointed.

e.s., Naughty Chord and LavidDange like this.
  16. Naughty Chord

Did the vinyl include a download code?

17. Arkay_East

Yep. I believe it's MP3. I'll double check tonight.

18. Naughty Chord

Yes please do let us know. If there was a lossless download included that would tip the scales toward the vinyl for me.

19. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I grabbed a copy today based on Arkay_East
    WOW... I don't know how they squeezed music that's this dynamic and and without sacrificing volume. It's a miracle of modern friggin' science. I just got back from grabbing a copy and spot checked it, but if you're afraid of getting this album due to sound quality or low volume, don't be.

e.s., Naughty Chord and scotth like this.
  20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

By coincidence, I;m listening to CD 1 having picked it up in Ray's Jazz earlier. Looks as though it's only been in stock for about a week.

Reserve judgement until I've heard the whole thing a couple of times.

21. Arkay_East

After double checking I don't find a download card. But elsewhere (Amazon for example) one is listed as being included. So I dunno.

22. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

On mine it was actually a sticker on the inner sleeve of LP1. It does explicitly say "MP3", however.

23. Naughty Chord

Thank you.

Thank you too.

Obviously you guys have no bass issues with this pressing. I think you've just cost me $40. :help:

24. Arkay_East

Huh. I still got nothin. That's cool tho I don't really use em. Glad they are included.

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Is this a shop that specializes in jazz and they are only getting the most talked about jazz album in recent years in stock after it's been out almost half a year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.