Kanye West blasted by legendary music icon Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Sep 14, 2021.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Whether or not you and I agree with Todd and his assessment of Kanye's music, his quote may also carry a tiny little whiff of sour grapes. Plus, Kanye is hardly in the "younger" category anymore. Watch for his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction in five years...

Big Blue and Jmac1979 like this.
  2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

He's definitely not in the clique. Kanye's just another onionhead--his new one's barely an elpee's worth of toons. But can they still be friends?

3. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

If Mr. Rundgren was paid for his time and/or contributions, he needs to show some manners. I'm no fan of Kanye West, but Todd's out of line here.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did Todd get paid or did he do it for free?

5. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Todd is an odd dude. He spent his career making non-commercial decisions and then complains that he’s had to take gigs (New Cars, Ringo, etc) to pay the bills. Campaigns for Rock Hall, doesn’t get in, gets inducted the next go around, says he doesn’t care.

All I know about Kanye is the tabloid stuff, the autotune vocals, and that what I’ve heard is not for me. I do think Todd is a brilliant musician, writer and incredible producer. Both guys are considered to be geniuses. Nothing wrong with one questioning the other.

Cracklebarrel and Penny24 like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Missing the point. If you're co-creating with somebody, you have a reasonable expectation of feedback. You know...professional courtesy. Instead, he gets radio silence.

Unlike Kanye, Todd just gave him some feedback. In public.

theMess, caravan70, micksmuse and 7 others like this.
  7. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

If he said that around the time of "Power to the People" and Some Time in New York City, I can sympathize. Lennon himself had some rather dismissive things to say later on about his work in that period and his motivations for doing it.

caravan70 likes this.
  8. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Kanye has only been in the music game for around 25 years. He's still relatively a fresh face in the music world. :winkgrin:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    unclefred likes this.
  9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

If your hot take is "The Kardashians have no talent and why are they so famous and rich," you're about 15 years late on that one.

This ain't a new "modern culture" thing either. The Boomer Generation turned plenty of talentless rich a**holes into celebrities long before Kim made her first sex tape. Some of y'all even put one of them into the White House. (No surprise he recognized the K Clan as kindred souls.)

Todd should probably be glad he's not sharing album credits with DaBaby and Marilyn Manson.

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

The lyrics to Todd's song about John called Rock 'n' Roll Puzzy

Beat it, beat it, beat your guitar.
    Smash it, smash it, 'til it sees stars.
    Rip it, rip it, rip it to shreds.
    Throw down your axe and then jump into bed.

Get up, get up, get up and see,
    Revolution on the tv.
    Will you, will you, get your nails dirty,
    or are you only just a rock 'n' roll puzzy.

It's a fair criticism. He's calling John out for preaching revolution whilst if a violent revolution did break out would John 'get his hands dirty'? Todd doubts it.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Ya…I am sure Kanye won’t sleep tonight after that article.

unclefred, Penny24 and Michael like this.
  12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

This is true. Kanye is presently the same age George Harrison was when he released "Cloud Nine". He's hardly some 18 year old wet behind the ears newcomer

13. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

The real news here is that Todd Rundgren is considered a legendary music icon.

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

ha ha that's funny...good one.

15. noname74

:biglaugh:

16. poisonedhangman

poisonedhangman Forum Resident

Todd can be cranky. Even us hardcore fans know this. Take a look at his autobiography or the recent interview with Marc Maron. He's a genius who carries some opinions. Nothing shocking. Don't let it get in the way of enjoying either artist. So things didn't work out in the collaboration. Todd's hot air will blow out soon.

(To tell you the truth I'm suprised he lived down the Lennon remarks. Knowing how Lennon can be deified by Beatles fans.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    caravan70 and tedg65 like this.
  17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Now now, some of y'all about to be schooled about how Todd was responsible for the marimba on "Love My Way" lol

I honestly cannot stomach Kanye as a human being, he came out day one with the fully formed ego on display and it was a quick turnoff, and it says a lot about misogyny that he has been displaying bipolar erratic career-ending behavior for nearly 20 years and never has gotten put in check yet Britney flies off the handles for 6 months and spends 15 years being punished for it. But like it or not, the guy is well respected and critically acclaimed and he's almost certainly a day one Hall Of Fame inductee to where I can't think of another artist who emerged this century who is guaranteed day one. He is more relevant in 2021 than Rundgren, like or hate it.

Penny24 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  18. Dillydipper

Maybe he can get somebody to read it for him.

19. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Well, Todd was right on all of this.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. noname74

Oh he’s not smart enough to read? And why do you think that? What about him makes you assume he can’t read?

rod, Big Blue, Criswell and 2 others like this.
  21. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

because acknowledging any worth in hip hop makes one a traitor to the boomer community? lol

Smith, Penny24, elgoodo and 2 others like this.
  22. OneHandLoose

OneHandLoose Moxie Drinker

This is the best thing since Phil Collins beefed with Adelle. Can't wait for Meatloaf to get into it with Bruno Mars or something.

lastdamdown and unclefred like this.
  23. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Kanye is hot garbage but Todd is yelling at clouds at this point.

CantonJester and OneHandLoose like this.
  24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I never heard Todd complain about his New Cars or Ringo gigs, or any other money-making projects. I have heard him talk about them and readily admit his motivations, but I never detected a whiff of bitterness about them. He seems to do what needs to be done with no bones about it.

Todd never ever campaigned for the RnRHoF. He has always said that it was not important to him. Whatever "campaigning" has been done was by his fans without his participation or encouragement.

25. Dillydipper

No, acknowledging you think you're too good to offer courtesy to an icon you asked for his collaboration, makes it more than likely somebody else will have to bring it to your attention.

Stop going for the race card. LOL back atcha.