Kanye West blasted by legendary music icon Todd Rundgren

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Penny24, Sep 14, 2021.

1. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

Didn't say this was "Breaking News" just puking back in the face of the affront to decent modern living the Internet vomits our way far too often these daze.

As for putting them in the White House, I never once voted for any movie star, nor sliver~spooned spoilt son a rich man. So don't ya y'all me mister!

I, nevertheless, stand by my "Hot Take" that the Internet and Modern Cell Phone SAD~dicted Culture as expressed most nauseatingly by the (so Passe) KarpCrappyTans and that Loser of Loser, Kanye--mental illness trumped any talent he once had long ago--has truly gone to Hell much faster than us old Boomers could ever scurry towards the Crazy Culture Cliffs, even back in the day.

YMMMMV!:shrug:

2. Django

Django Forum Resident

Kanye probably mixed him up with Dolph Lundgren.

YoGarrett, lax luthior and Big Blue like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Now that is something that would get me to buy his new album!

4. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Some Time was in 1972. The "Lost Weekend" and drunken Troubadour incident were in 1974 and are what prompted Todd's comment in Melody Maker. He and John later talked it out and made up, both knowing that it was a mountain-out-of-a-molehill, blown out of proportion by the rock press.

caravan70, Chris DeVoe and linklinc like this.
  5. Django

Django Forum Resident

I read Kanye was working on a track called break you & he said get that Todd Rundgren guy who was in rocky 4 on the phone. He's a genius. I want him on this track.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Dudley Morris and 1983 like this.
  6. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

[​IMG]

AN OPENED LETTUCE TO SODD RUNTLESTUNTLE (from dr winston o'boogie)

Couldn't resist adding a few "islands of truth" of my own, in answer to Turd Runtgreen's howl of hate (pain.)

Dear Todd,

I like you, and some of your work, including "I Saw The Light", which is not unlike "There's A Place" (Beatles), melody wise.

1) I have never claimed to be a revolutionary. But I am allowed to sing about anything I want! Right?

2) I never hit a waitress in the Troubador, I did act like an ***, I was too drunk. So shoot me!

3) I guess we're all looking for attention Rodd, do you really think I don't know how to get it, without "revolution?" I could dye my hair green and pink for a start!

4) I don't represent anyone but my SELF. It sounds like I represented something to you, or you wouldn't be so violent towards me. (Your dad perhaps?)

5) Yes Dodd, violence comes in mysterious ways it's wonders to perform, including verbal. But you'd know that kind of mind game, wouldn't you? Of course you would.

6) So the Nazz use to do "like heavy rock" then SUDDENLY a "light pretty ballad". How original!

7) Which gets me to the Beatles, "who had no other style than being the Beatles"!! That covers a lot of style man, including your own, TO DATE...

Yes Godd, the one thing those Beatles did was to affect PEOPLES' MINDS. Maybe you need another fix?

Somebody played me your rock and roll ***** song, but I never noticed anything. i think that the real reason you're mad at me is cause I didn't know who you were at the Rainbow (L.A.) Remember that time you came in with Wolfman Jack? When I found out later, I was cursing cause I wanted to tell you how good you were. (I'd heard you on the radio.)

Anyway, However much you hurt me darling; I'll always love you,
    J. L.
    30th Sept. 1974

theMess, caravan70, Aftermath and 3 others like this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

What a surprise that a person who would hold such a pompous opinion (with the requisite side of libelous bulls**t) would have an avatar featuring a cartoon persona of a pretentious "academic" styled/attired person, glancing portentously aside from their downward positioned glasses while holding a pipe.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not to all the legendary music icons he helped make into legendary music icons, of course...;)

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Can't tell if you're actually serious or doing a bit, but either way you're definitely someone who needs to watch a LOT of Archer before saying another word.
    Start with Season 1. If you have a sense of humor, you'll greatly enjoy it.

10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Uh... yeah? Is this supposed to refute what I said?

================

What happened between you and John Lennon? There was a series of correspondence that appeared in Melody Maker in 1974 …

That was more of a stunt, really, cooked up by the paper so they could splatter the acrimony across their pages like blood! Ultimately, though, John and I realised we were being used and I got a phone call from him one day and we just said: "Let's drop this now."

==========

(from Todd Rundgren: 'Every once in a while I took a trip and never came back' )

caravan70, Chris DeVoe and linklinc like this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I wouldn't say Todd blasted Kanye.
    He questioned Kanye's work ethic, why it was mixed so quickly, and wonders why was he even asked in the first place.

And of course most members replying are just using this thread as an opportunity to blast Todd and/or Kanye.

12. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well... It's John Lennon himself who sent that letter to the MM, asking them to publish it.
    (As he did before with Paul McCartney. )
    Granted, the MM people were happy, but the only one who blew it out of proportion was John himself.
    The MM just reproduced his letter as it was :)

Aftermath and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Given Rundgren's legendary in-charge mode of production, and West's well-known chaotic, collaborative nature, I wouldn't have expected much else.

caravan70 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

15. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Is everyone OK? People know that Todd Rundgren does this, right? He will talk about a production experience in great detail, especially if it didn't go well.

As for Kanye, whatever, he lost me years ago, like he cares. I'm probably with Todd on this, I'm glad he talked about Kanye and Kanye's "stuff."

16. Mackaveli

Mackaveli Forum Resident

This dude's salty and that Drake record was garbo

Penny24 and WHMusical like this.
  17. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

A giant leech he brags. :whistle:

WHMusical likes this.
  18. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Just when I thought Todd couldn’t get any more awesome.

caravan70, Chris DeVoe, zebop and 3 others like this.
  19. unclefred

Exactly. By whom?

20. unclefred

That's simplistic and borderline moronic. Read it over and maybe you can see where you aren't adulting.

21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Archer is great! That is all...

MikeManaic61 and caravan70 like this.
  22. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

What he said was not that different from how Paul McCartney characterized his sessions with Kanye.. McCartney just framed them in a more positive way and he got out of it a single so he could keep on feeling relevant or whatever.

23. Penny24

The Drake album did impressive numbers but is already considered his worst project by his own fanbase.

24. Penny24

For better or worse,

"It reminded me of Andy Warhol, these artists who use students to paint their backgrounds and things. It's a well-used technique," McCartney said of the sessions that also produced "All Day" and the Rihanna collabo "FourFiveSeconds." "I thought, 'I don't know how I'm going to fit into that, but let's see. Here goes nothing.'"

Paul McCartney Compares Kanye West to Andy Warhol

25. Specific Reply [Off Topic]:
    So glad you were wrong.
    It proves SHMF is more diversified then you thought.
    Which is a good thing!

Penny24 likes this.