Karen Carpenter: Thoughts on her vocals and isolated vocal tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

For me, it's comforting and soothing.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My thoughts on Karen's vocals? Listen to "We've Only Just Begun", without Karen's lead vocal and just try to imagine someone else in her place and that pretty much sums up what I think!

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

According to Hal Blaine when he first heard this song he took her aside and asked her to sing it in a lower register - which stuck despite her parent's objections.
    Not my kind of music, but any lady drummer catches my ear and eye. Sad how she passed.

Chris C likes this.
  4. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's a nice story, but isn't Hal Blaine notorious for inflating his importance/contributions to things?

5. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Her voice always turned me on. :)

6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

For me, a song that shows just how great a singer Karen Carpenter was is "Trying To Get The Feeling Again."

The song was written for the Carpenters and was considered for the album Horizon but it was decided not to include the song on the album. The above vocals are from a work lead (a vocal draft of the song) and are likely the first (and only) time she sang the song. Despite this, she sings the song perfectly.

anduandi likes this.
  7. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

The contralto singing voice has a vocal range that lies between the F below "middle C" (F3) to two Fs above middle C (F5) and is the lowest type of female voice. In the lower and upper extremes, some contralto voices can sing from the E below middle C (E3) to two B♭s above middle C (B♭5).[1]Although both men and women may have voices in the contralto vocal range, the word is usually used only in the context of a female singer.
    Often mistaken as a alto, Carpenter was a contralto which is most often found in opera. Other noted contraltos in pop music include
    Adele, Amy Winehouse, Annie Lennox, and Judy Garland. Karen stands alone imho though!!

keyXVII and dadonred like this.
  8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

interestingly, listening to that clip posted one of my thoughts,I did think her vibrato was quite violin'ish.

9. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I'm just the messenger...:love:

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Amazing that she always considered herself a drummer who sang! Maybe it's time for a Karen Carpenter isolated drum thread. :)

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  11. JL7

JL7 Forum Resident

Outside of some British folkies and Eva Cassidy, very few come remotely close to Karen in the realm of female vocalists.

12. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

What's amazing is there is nothing on her voice, recorded dry and most of the time not double tracked and it still sounds beyond incredible...

keyXVII and mpayan like this.
  13. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

I'm not sure that's really true.
    For the most part, Karen sang very quietly - almost a whisper.
    That's why you can hear "mouth noise" on some of the isolated tracks.

If I remember correctly from a biography I read, it was never intended that would be the singer in the band.
    She really just wanted to be the drummer, but got pushed into singing when it worked so well.

And yes, Richard's vocal arrangements were the bomb.
    Too bad the harmonies are missing on these isolated tracks.

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

"Sad" is too simple. Her vocals are sublime.

No doubt some, if not most, of that comes from the deep well of sadness she carried with her. Too damn high a price to pay even if it brought beauty to the world.

keyXVII, lv70smusic and AppleCorp3 like this.
  15. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Just going by what I've heard on multitracks. :righton:

16. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

You know the saying, I'm a sucker for a pretty face? Well, I've always been one when it comes to certain female singers.

Patsy Cline is one that can really pull on my heart strings. Eva Cassidy another. Karen, oh my, she does a number on me. I get this guilty feeling when I listen to these types of singers when my girl friend is present. It's like I'm paying more attention to another woman.

She also enjoys hearing them but they dig deep on me. Maybe cause my mother listened to Patsy Cline a lot through my childhood days and hearing women sing take me back? Or, it's just a guy thing?

17. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I've been trying to find these somewhere. I only see the usual clips when they were starting out and Karen jumped around drums set-up on stage. Not what I want to see her do. I loved her simplicity approach and her drumming technique when rolling through the toms, her bass pedal and hi-hat style.

18. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

When this song appeared on the "Interpretations" collection I was so overwhelmed of the beauty of both Karen's interpretation and the arrangement. This track would have fitted perfectly on "Horizon". Simply perfect.
    Incidentally one can hear the lyric sheet being turned over by Karen as she segues from the end of the first chorus into the second verse (from the booklet accompanying "Interpretations").

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I agree strongly about the arrangement. Richard arranged the song in a way that gave it a very cold and icy sound, and to me it is perfect match for the song.

20. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Fantastic post. Nice observations, all. When I was younger, I couldn't be bothered by the Carpenters...they just weren't cool. But I've learned since that good is good, and it doesn't matter what is deemed cool. The only one that has to approve of my music choices are me. So...these days I think she is just lovely.

21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This is exactly my problem when anybody mentions the Carpenters. My dad's a huge fan of them, Bread, that kind of stuff... it's much like my own attitudes towards opera, for instance. I can respect the talent but the music does noooooooothing for me.

qwerty likes this.
  22. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Funny you say this. Without me even knowing it, my father's taste in music seeped into my head. We used to drive around in this huge station wagon, listening to Paul Simon, John Denver, the Carpenters and Bread. Didn't love it at the time but it was what it was. Fast forward a few decades, last December, I'm flipping through the tv channels, looking for nothing in particular. I stop on a local PBS channel trying to raise money. They're playing a John Denver Christmas concert. I stopped to watch. My wife, in the kitchen asks me after about 3 songs...are you listening to John Denver?!?! Know what? I knew every word. "...You fill up my senses..."

That's right.

keyXVII and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Karen had the voice of an Angel. no one comes close. What damn shame how it ended up.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Weren't almost all of her vocals first takes?

25. brucifer

brucifer Well-Known Member

I think she was one of the best singers of the 20th century. I'll always love The Carpenters.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.