Kate Bush---re-mixes, originals??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tim, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim

Tim New Member Thread Starter

The only Kate Bush I had in my collection was a U.S compilation CD, and I found a UK pressing of Hounds of Love, so I picked it up. Upon listening to it, it sounded completely different. Not the quality of the music (that too), but the contents of the music itself. It's very apparant in the title track, where I used to hear a violin very loud in the mix, now, I don't hear the violin. So was "The Whole Story" CD a bunch of re-mixes??

2. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Tim,
    Wuthering Heights is the only song I know was re-mixed for the Whole Story - the vocals were re-recorded too. I had not noticed other different mixes but I'll give another listen tomorrow.
    There are a few big Kate Bush fans here.
    John

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Tim,

I have the second UK issue CD version of "Hounds of Love" (the track listing includes remixes which don't actually appear on the CD!).

I also own the later EMI remastered version, which is mixed a little louder, with instrumentation more prominent, but I'm not sure if I prefer it to the original mastering, so have kept both...

I also own "The Whole Story" collection and frankly hate the remix of "Wuthering Heights"...why bother? It also cuts out the haunting intro to the UK single version of "The Man With the Child in His Eyes"...criminal IMHO! :(

My view is that a full overhaul is needed of "This Woman's Work"...including a comprehensive best of - what do others think? :)

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Has that ever actually appeared on CD? I only ever had it on the original vinyl single (and reissue vinyl single), and on the video. Every CD or LP I've ever had of it (The Kick Inside both UK and US and The Whole Story) had that intro deleted. Most folks probably don't even know it exists.

5. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I agree with you Togo re Wuthering Heights. I think Kate was self conscious of her "girlish" voice on that song. I liked it - it had its own charm. Why bother indeed?
    I have never heard the intro to TMWTCIHE - reechie explains why. I never knew it existed. I'd love to hear it.
    Her catalog needs a good overhaul. The best CD versions to date are the UK ones, so you are probably okay there.
    The Kick Inside sounds okay but is quite hissy. I fear EMI's next mastering will No-noise it to yech.

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Which CD do you have? Original UK, reissue UK(there was a box set with her original albums; some may have slipped out, though I can't swear they were remixed or remastered)and a 100th EMI anniversary set, which I burned from my brother because it had bonus tracks. Or did you find one of the 12" mixes on CD which are wildly different?

ED:cool:

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I bet he picked up the Hounds of Love remaster; it sounds like what he is describing.

You can hear the original intro to Man With The Child In His Eyes in the Whole Story video collection. The oldest VHS video in my collection-bought in 1987-and it still plays great!

Almost 10 years without an album by Kate-not good. I wish she'd put something out.

8. Ed Bishop

;) Except for the UK 45 and the VHS/laser videos, I haven't heard "Child" with that "He's here....he's here..." intro anywhere else....pity, 'cause I think it MAKES that record...yeah, KB wanted to update "Wuthering Heights" but I think they used the same video for that and the original, which may have turned up elsewhere on laser....the original was also her first US chart record, bubbling under in late '78.

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I totally agree Ed...sends shivers down the spine and guides you into the song. It just 'aint the same without it!

So, somebody out there, PLEASE include it on her next CD singles/best of collection...together with the original version of Wuthering Heights and other great tracks such as "Sat in Your Lap" and "Experiment IV"...

:love:

10. Ed Bishop

:love: And it's about time for that definitive KB DVD video collection. Not like we're ever going to hear from her again...and if only they would 5.1 it for maximum sonic glory. And of course, she made two versions of several videos, so it would be a well packed collection, too. I miss her. My brother and I are the biggest fans, but after all these years we don't listen much anymore. I guess we got our fill, and now are waiting for something special like a reissue described above...:rolleyes: Or a competent remaster of the old catalog, CD or DVD-A, who cares...most of it does need a little work...

11. There was a Kate Bush interview in Q magazine, I think, last year. She has been slowly working on her new album. And I think the deal is, when she is finished it, EMI is going to remaster the whole back catalogue with bonus tracks, etc. Let's pray it's not Peter you know who.

Great, then I can buy her whole collection again for the what, 4th time. :laugh: I have quite an extensive Kate Bush collection including all sorts of 7 inch singles from Ireland, Belgium, Italy, France, UK, Canada, etc. I was quite the fan for about 15 years, starting back in my college radio days in 1978. There are at least 5 different covers to her first album UK, U.S., Canada, Japan, and Yugoslavia EMI/Capitol all have different front covers to The Kick Inside. I have them all except Yugoslovia. In the late 1980s Capitol Canada pressed The Kick Inside for a brief period of time on the black rainbow label.

Attached Files:

12. I jsut found the article, in Decmber 2001, Q Magazine. Polly Harvey on the cover. The article is appropriately titled "The Big Sleep" by John Azielwood.

Kate pulled a Brian Wilson of sorts after The Red Shoes in 1993 and her accompanying film The Line, The Cross, and The Curve in 1994. After all that was finished, Kate took to her bed with daytime TV for company for a few years. She spent a fair bit of time grieving. He mother Hannah died during the recording of The Red Shoes and Kate hadn't grieved properly. Also after the album and movie and her mother's death, her long time relationship with her bass player Del Palmer crumbled. She was having a tough time, I'm sure.

Kate says in the interview, "I needed to stop working because there were a lot of things I wanted to look at in my life. I was exhausted on every level."
    JA - "What did you do?"
    Kate - "I slept. I spent a lot of time sleeping...I saw friends occasionally and I was very quiet. I was just trying to recuperate."

Eventually Kate came out again, moved to London, began a relationship with Danny MacIntosh who played most of the guitars on The Red Shoes. They had a baby boy, Albert, or Bertie as Kate calls him in the late 1990s.

There is a small mention of her new album in the aritcle.
    "The self-produced new album has no title yet. It may be releaed in 2002, it may not. There is an element of not wanting to put pressure on herself by committing to a date.
    "It's hard to say when because it's a matter of how much time I get to work on what's left to do, so I couldn't actually meaure it in time."

Kate, what the heck does that mean? ::confused:
    Well it's near the end of 2002, so we can hope for next spring maybe?

13. Ed Bishop

:D Mike, just put that rainbow Cap KB in the slideshow, my brother will be knocked out by that. I remember reading some of the stuff you posted, about Kate, the loss of her mother, she seems to have become a total recluse, which is a shame for someone with such talent. Around here somewhere there are a few dozen issues of HOMEGROUND, the KB fanzine, which ran pretty strong for years, but ran out of gas parallel with Kate's disinterest....hard to print a mag when there's no news! But then over across the Isles they're still printing a BEAUTY & THE BEAST zine, the old Linda Hamilton TV show, of all things...they still send it to my sister. Some stuff you never get over, I guess..

14. J. Warren

J. Warren Senior Member

I am glad that this thread is running: someone I know wants all of the Kate Bush CD's for Christmas. I would love to know if the box set is the best way to get them, or if I should wait for possibly better versions around the corner.

15. Ed Bishop

The box if you can find it. Or the EMI 100th Anniversary edition of HOUNDS. Nicely done; very attractive. Bonus tracks, even!

16. Glad you like it. I found that one on the World Wide Web Ed. I don't own a copy. I did not realize that Capitol pressed a number of albums on that label in what?, the late 1980s. Damn. I was caught up in the whole CD thing, and I rarely bought domestic vinyl anyway. I was always in the import record shops. :sigh: Wish I had known that Capitol Canada was pressing albums with the vintage 1960s label. I woould have snapped up a few different titles for novelty sake.
    Well that article said she's slowing been coming out of her reclusive state over the past couple of years, and is slowly working on the new album. That's good new for us. :)
    I have a few copies of Homegrown kickin' around here somewher too. It was a good fanzine while it lasted.

Here is side two of The Kick Inside for your slide show.

Attached Files:

17. OK, here is the collector nut in me coming out. Or as my friends in the UK would say, "He's a real nutter."

I have Kate Bush - "The Man With The Child In His Eyes" 14 times. :eek: (I'd never counted before.) :o I am a real nuuter. :laugh:
    6 - on various 7 inch singles
    5 - on The Kick Inside and The Whole Story LPs
    3 - on The Kick Inside and The Whole Story CDs

Four of the six 7 inch singles, UK, UK Old Gold, Canada, and Belgium contain the "He's here. He's here. He's here. He's here", layered spoken intro. This folks is as they call it in the UK, "the 7 inch mix". That is why it has never appeared on "The Kick Inside" CD. The 2 singles that have the LP mix are the original Japanese single of "Them Heavy People" b/w "The Man With The Child In His Eyes". Being that it was regulated to the b side in Japan, EMI-Toshiba used the LP mix. When "The Whole Story" was released, Capitol Canada only, put out a single of "The Man With The Child In His Eyes" b/w "Sat In Your Lap". They used the LP version that was also on the album. One could strongly argue that since "The Whole Story" was supposed to a "hits" collection, EMI should have used the 7 inch mix.

Kate has full control of her catalogue and as we know records only when the spirit moves her. She may have asked EMI not to use the 7 inch mix on "The Whole Story". Or maybe the master tape is missing or in rough shape.

I have 4 copies of The Kick Inside vinyl, as previously mentioned: UK, Japan, Canada, and U.S. All contain the LP mix. I have the UK and EMI-America CD versions. They also contain the LP mix, as does "The Whole Story" vinyl and CD (Canadian and UK respectiveily).

Rare Canadian 7 inch single (cotains the LP mix)

Attached Files:

18. Tim,

I'd like to hear this "other" version of "Hounds of Love" that you have. Last evening, I A/B'd about 6 or 7 versions I have on LP, CD, 7 inch, and 12 inch singles. Except for the 12 inch "Alternate Hounds of Love" remixed by Del Palmer, all others seemed to be the same. The version on "The Whole Story" CD is a bit brighter than the rest, but the mix seemed relatively the same.

As for the 1997 version of "The Houds Of Love' EMI 100 years version, I don't think it was remastered. There are no remastering credits on the disc. The CD doesn't sound much different to me than the two other versions I have, which are both original Japanese pressed CDs from the mid/late 1980s. One is from the UK version. The other is the original Canadian version. There might be a bit of tweaking on the new version, slightly louder, but that's about it IMO. I'll have to do an A/B comparison in Cool Edit Pro.

19. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Wonderful thread.

I've always been interested in Kate Bush--I have THE WHOLE STORY CD and the vinyl 12" of "Running Up That Hill" (or is it "the hill"? at any rate, I love love love that cover photo)--but I've never actually gone exploring past that. So, Kate-o-philes, where should I start, and where should I go from there? Remember that I'll need some instant gratification along with the used-LP-bin-specialty-vinyl-import-CD quests.

20. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'd say start with Hounds Of Love. Probably Kate's finest over-all moment. Of her early albums, The Kick Inside is probably the best, but prepare yourself, her young and developing voice is quite different from what it's evolved into. For some reason, they usually had her singing at the top of her range, and it could be a bit screechy at times, takes some getting used to (oddly, when she's allowed to sing in a more natural pitch, such as "The Man With The Child In His Eyes", the results are hypnotic). The follow-up, Lionheart is rather a victim of the high singing, and seems kind of rushed to capitalize on here initial popularity. Never For Ever has her maturing and stretching into new territory for the first time, it's one of my favorites. Save The Dreaming for after you've had some time to get accustomed to Kate's eccentricities, it's sort of, as Peter Gabriel recently called his latest work, "a difficult album", but one that is very rewarding if given the chance. Personally, I liked The Sensual World, but it didn't really seem to go over well with the fans, and The Red Shoes just never seemed to gel, probably more of a case of burn-out than anything.

There's also a cache of really great b-sides that didn't make the albums, especially from the Hounds-era that are worth seeking out.

21. Gardo

Excellent, Rich; that's just what I was hoping for.

Too bad I need to wait on The Dreaming; that album cover always gets to me. In a good way. But very intense.

22. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Superb Katie in a nutshell there reechie :righton:

All the best - Andrew

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

:love: :love: Ah, Kate Bush. I LOVE Kate Bush. :love: :love:

Years ago, when Hounds of Love came out, I had a dream where I met Kate Bush on an elevator, and she was just the nicest person you would ever want to meet. Nothing sexual (although I'm sure Freud would have something to say about the elevator), but at least my dream self really developed a rapport with her. Thereafter, I had to buy all the CDs, the 45 singles box, the videos, several biographies, bootleg recordings and many massive posters that I blanketed the walls of my dorm room with. With the passage of the years, she's long since left my heavy rotation on my CD player, but I'll always have a fond spot for her. I know, sounds kinda obsessive, huh?

24. Gardo

See, that's the sort of thing I could feel inviting me into that world, just what I saw on the cover of The Dreaming.

Nice dream (as Radiohead would say).

25. Ed Bishop

:goodie: Mike, thanks for Side 2 of KICK and the 45 sleeve--bee-yootifull shot of KB. Both are now in the slideshow. I remember a PC freak telling me not to overload the slideshow, but I don't care. It's a pretty enjoyable, eclectic little number at the moment, though I think I'll start weeding out some Beatles and ABBA PS's that have been kicking around from since almost the beginning.
    The advice I'd give to you, Tim and Gardo, is to just go out to used outlets, vinyl shops, etc., and look there first before paying full price at the malls for some of this stuff. As Mike pointed out with the 100th Anniversary HOUNDS, it's possible it might not have been remastered, but I must say, it does sound different in some way, but I've never A/B'd to find out(guess what Mike's doing with Cool Pro over the weekend?). I'm not sure Kate's catalog has ever been redone in full(HOUNDS certainly has, once anyway; who knows about the others?)and some of the later albums probably don't need to be. The vinyl singles box should still be around used, along with her various Lp's. For CD, since she's kind of fallen off the radar, they should be easy to locate used, and the UK box shouldn't be that hard to find. I'd also try to avoid listening too much before getting them all, though the first half of HOUNDS is her most accessible work; as Rich indicated, there is a progression to her music, and listening in sequence will help you understand her growth from teen chanteuse to eccentric(but very captivating)rocker(my fave: "The Big Sky," a UK 45). And of course the VHS WHOLE STORY, if you don't have it already.
    Some of those videos are wild! You'll really dig her once you get on her wavelength:love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.