Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. getstew

getstew Forum Resident

I've been spending some time listening to "Red Shoes." While I never hated it, it never really grabbed me.
    I'm now hugely enjoying it - not understanding all the bad reviews. And "Moments of Pleasure" literally moves me to tears.

2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Red Shoes has some great moments but its production is not as dynamic as it should have been.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I posted a long chunk of an interview with Kate's engineer Del Palmer back on page 47 of this thread. The gist of it is that at the time of The Red Shoes they were compressing because that was what was done, Kate had decided to go with a much more dynamic sound.

getstew and Max Florian like this.
  4. ries

ries Forum Resident

yeah I never understood the flak that album got, when it was released I thought it was another great album, maybe not her best. Still prefer Moments of Pleasure from this album instead of the Director's Cut, love how Micheal Kamen's orchestra intertwines with Kate's voice. Would love to hear her doing more orchestral versions of her songs.

5. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Can anyone explain why digital downloads don't come with the vinyl format? Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Seems to depend on the record label. Why would these box sets not come with them? They aren't cheap and are we expected to buy the digital and or cds again to get them electronically? I would really like to hear these remasters on my mac, but I ain't buying them twice. Would love some reasoned answers.

Max Florian likes this.
  6. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Digital downloads are sometimes an incentive to buy but are becoming rarer now. The record companies would prefer those that want the digital files to pay twice, simple as that.

sunspot42, Chris DeVoe and tin ears like this.
  7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I bought the CD's and they didn't come with free vinyl so I could hear them either!!!! :mad: :righton:

gregorya and Neonbeam like this.
  8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Think record companies would rather you just bought the digital files....full stop.

tin ears likes this.
  9. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I'm not averse to buying digital albums at all - but:
    A) they'll have to keep costing much less than the physical product (half of what a cd costs is OK)
    B) they'll all have to include a digital booklet.
    If these conditions are met, I'm totally fine with the whole industry going digital only in the near future.

LivingForever likes this.
  10. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I know nothing about it - I'm reposting it in the form of this other link because YT won't let me see yours. I really like it as well.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Kalli likes this.
  11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The bass is just mud and I find it difficult to listen to.

sunspot42 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Even on the version in the new remastered box?

Just to clarify - Del had compressed The Red Shoes, but by the time they got to work on Aerial, she decided she wanted a far less compressed sound.

The original concept of The Red Shoes was an album that they could tour with a band. That plan went out the window when she got involved in directing The Line, The Cross and The Curve.

Neonbeam, Max Florian and ries like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

People who buy vinyl listen to the vinyl not digital downloads. I think some Lps from the majors are bought to look at. Kate obviously is aiming these at vinyl listeners rather than digital people. You could buy the CD versions and rip them I suppose.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

That’s just not true. I buy vinyl, but if I could *only* listen to vinyl I would have one 20th of the amount of listening time available to me that I currently do.

Can’t listen to my records in the car/train/plane.

15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I buy vinyl for the artwork and, often, the more forgiving mastering, and I 'drop it. It takes time and is a faff but nothing good in life comes easy. If I want an easy way out, I have to pay twice. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

16. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

I'll lend you mine... ;)

[​IMG]

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I have not heard the new remaster yet. Did they remix and master the bass?

18. Chris DeVoe

I haven't heard the remasters either, other than samples, but there are nearly a hundred pages before this one of people comparing them (the other 92 pages were anticipation.)

Stuart S and sunspot42 like this.
  19. getstew

getstew Forum Resident

Aside from the obvious answer based solely on the lyrics, does anyone know the meaning/inspiration of “Song of Solomon?” Thanks.

20. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I really have a new appreciate for Red Shoes, as well, after hearing on vinyl.

marblesmike likes this.
  21. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

I think it does depend on the label and artist, but I will add that I see vinyl WITHOUT codes more frequently on reissues of catalog albums like this.

I'm thinking of a number of albums I've bought in the last 12 months that were of older albums - Bjork, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie - and none of them had download codes.

Seems like the labels believe their buyers have a digital file already and are buying the vinyl format for the first time/buying a remaster or reissue. Either that, or it's being done to meet a cost target, as download codes often add $5-10 to the final cost.

22. Chris DeVoe

No idea apart from the biblical reference. She did go to a Catholic school, so presumably she got the Bible at a very deep level.

It was surprising that she used profanity, which she had been careful to avoid in both her lyrics and interviews, other than once.

getstew likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Presumably a track tracking force of about 3 lb, and you can get through one playing before having to frisbee the LP out the window.

mcd4959, JP Christian and imarcq like this.
  24. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Much easier just to needledrop to Cdr IMO

25. Chris DeVoe

Heck, even a CD player would have a difficult time with the potholes in Kansas City, forget trying to play vinyl.

Maidenpriest, Max Florian and imarcq like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.