Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beelzebomb

beelzebomb Well-Known Member

Picked up The Other Sides 4 CD set for £35 on eBay the other day (after patiently watching my saved search for a week or so) as I won’t be buying the 2nd box - can’t imagine such recent albums being remastered will make such a huge difference for me to part with nearly £100. The ‘Box St Breakers’ aren’t out in force like for the Bowie boxes as almost everything’s available separately, so I got lucky.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, actually there are videos of a younger KT out there. For all to see all the time. Myriads of them! So.... 90 minutes of Hammersmith surely wouldn't hurt. It's not embarrassing. It's a historical document. And it's not as if there was tons of Bush live material available.
    :evil:

But... yeah. She's Kate Bush. She's in control. Even though I find it strange that she kept that thing coming out until easily 1994. Then suddenly changed her mind. But since the old tapes and discs haven't suddenly evaporated - as much as Bush might wish for it:angel: - there should be easy (and legal!) ways to obtain this.

:bone:NO SLEEP TILL HAMMERSMITH! :bone:

LFB, Cat People and ad180 like this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Long ago, I had a vision of Kate actually doing a tour. Just her and a piano. She would sell out theaters across the US. No big crew. No production. Just let the songs (and that amazing voice) stand on their own.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Even though the old tapes aren't technically evaporating, the magnetic patterns recorded on them are fading away. The machines capable of playing them are dying one by one, and the technicians capable of keeping these complex beasts working are dying even quicker. Hopefully Kate has realized this and had all of the reels transferred to a digital format and backed up multiple times.

5. Chris DeVoe

If you haven't seen it, the German documentary Kate Bush In Concert featuring video from the Tour of Life, but from a much earlier date then the Hammersmith. Her hair was totally frizzed out by the time of the Hammersmith shows, which were the last dates on tour (the Bill Duffield benefit with Peter Gabriel and Steve Harley was the very last show.)

This was shot on film and I'd love to see an HD transfer of it. I combined a German language copy with overdubbing but perfect video with a Dutch copy with burned in Dutch subtitles, but the original language audio.

basie-fan, Moshe, Rob Byrne and 8 others like this.
  6. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

Send them to FX Rentals Kate, they’ll sort you out!

7. LFB

LFB Well-Known Member

Thank for your words! Thats I always want to say about the amazing Hamersmith presentation!

We all know that some artists have a little problem wen see thenselves in his youth or wathever... But this woman made history and this show is a documentary for everyone see that she created Madonna and stuff...

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Just a random post to say the more I listen to the remastered NEVER FOR EVER the more I think it is one of the great rock masterpieces. Maybe even better than THE DREAMING - less jarring but not necessarily less exploratory. Utterly spellbinding. The mastering on the CD boxed sets is revelatory. Gorgeous sounding album.

That is all.

9. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Finally got both CD boxes last week after much thought - I had most of the material anyway. Got a refund from iTunes following the fiasco with the badly tagged Pt IV files so decided just to buy the CDs and rip to lossless myself for listening out and about. Sister Ray was slightly cheaper than anywhere else.

Both boxes are matte, as are the contents of box 1. Box 2 seems to replicate the original CD packaging, so some sleeves are gloss.

I really like what they've done with the packaging of the albums in box 1 - nice to have the lyrics and musician credits, and that run of albums up to TRS feels like a proper set. Very happy with the sound of everything in box 1 - I could notice some additional clarity on various songs, elements of instrumentation I'd not noticed before but nothing that shouldn't be there (except The Big Sky 7" mix).

Box 2 I'm less happy with in some respects. I feel that the pre-release images seemed to give the impression that there would be individual sleeves for the Other Sides and so on - and those pockets housing the discs are already showing splits straight out of the box.

Overall though, I'm happy, lots to enjoy in the sets even as someone who had most of the material.

imarcq and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I opened my 2 boxsets tonight. Gloss festival all around except for BTD.

A bit disappointed by the pocket housing concept on most of boxset 2. BTD use a nipple glued directly on the cardboard to hold the CD :shake:. This is when half-moon shape japanese CD inner sleeves come handy.

Overall nice set for the price. Let’s spin those now!

11. SimpleSimonSays

SimpleSimonSays Forum Resident

Is there any annotation about who did the design packaging in the second CD boxset (probably in the extras 4 CD boxset within the boxset)? I have the 24bit downloads and no digital booklet came with it :realmad: so I was curious...

Thanks!

12. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I only began to realize what a masterpiece NfE is a few years ago, despite being familiar with it for decades. I'm glad you're realizing it, too.

I had never listened to Lionheart very much until a couple of years ago. It's only recently been sinking in (especially when listening to the new master) how brilliant it is, too. I wouldn't put it at the same level as NfE etc., but nevertheless it's wildly creative for such a young artist.

13. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Played it 3 times today on a car journey...great album.....

DrJ and imarcq like this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree with more or less all you say. Lionheart has long been a fave of mine (still have a UK EMI Fame vinyl pressing - the new mastering on the CD box is better but the vinyl is nice and I really enjoy the large format cover art). Apparently Kate didn’t feel it was what she wanted it to be - too rushed - and has said that in print which I think biases people’s reactions - but I never read that until years after hearing and loving the album. I actually think it was better than the debut myself. The first five Bush albums were all desert island for me.

15. manco

manco Forum Resident

There is something about The Ninth Wave that is frankly unsettling and uncomfortable to listen to. Definitely not easy listening for mopping the floor.

16. And that is the only track?

17. They should all be transferred flat to 24bit/192kHz.

My new copy of The Kick Inside sounds great.

18. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I always loved The Ninth Wave, but interpreted it as a kind of fairytale or medieval story. It wasn’t until the Before The Dawn discussions on this forum that I learned the real story. Kind of spoiled the magic. I try not to remember it to clearly when listening nowadays.

Max Florian likes this.
  19. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

who is fan of gloss....only psychopaths hahahahahahaha

imarcq likes this.
  20. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

like the later remasters more....the late 80's ones still sound a bit thin...although hounds of love sounds great now
    hearing backing vox on sky of honey a lot more distinctly

audiomixer likes this.
  21. Tedham

Tedham Forum Resident

I is

dougotte likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

There is still more than one level to the story, that was made perfectly clear during the stage production. There is the level about a woman floating in the water, surviving. But there is a whole other level of what's happening in her mind, trying to stay alive, thinking of losing her family.

23. Chris DeVoe

I have no worries about any of the audio, I was talking about how the 1 inch and 2 inch reels of videotape are going to be unplayable anytime now.

24. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Orthogonian Blues and Cat People like this.
  25. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I have to admit that having pristine covers in the Vinyl Box I was a big plus. The title is embossed, which my original Deutsche LP does not.

imarcq and DrJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.