Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

I’m loving all of these BUT would really have liked The Empty Bullring And the Live e.p to have been included, especially the first one which I think is rather wonderful and classic early Kate. Give me that over Walk Straight Down The Middle which I’m afraid I’ve always struggled with.

sound chaser and Porkpie like this.
  2. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

Is the Army Dreamers single mix on The Whole Story?

3. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

Looking at Discogs and Wikipedia the length of the single version and TWS version are very close: 3:13.
    The album version is 2:55

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I too wish the single mix "Sat In Your Lap" was available digitally.

5. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Forgive my ignorance, but what does 'mic drop' mean? I've seen it a couple of times on the forum, but no idea what it signifies...a "microphone dropping"?
    :confused::oops::shake:

6. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

It means, my speech is over. I have nothing more to say.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's a thing popular among rappers where you are saying "There is no possible way you can top what I just did - I'm not going to bother to hand you the mic, or even put it back on the stand. I'll just drop it to the floor."

I've described what Bowie did with the Blackstar album and the Lazarus video in particular as a "mic drop" moment "I just turned my death into a work of art - try to top that."

Side note: I have never seen Kate drop a mic. It's just not her style. She apparently did destroy a number of mics recording the vocals in the tank for Before The Dawn. Those things that look like inflation tubes for the life jacket are actually DPA d:screet 4060 Microphones.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Cat People, Max Florian and steviebee like this.
  8. I know this is old news on this thread, but could you all let me know which tracks on the new box sets have been “modified” from how they appeared on the original albums, and why? For example, songs where the original studio versions have been replaced by live versions, or where instrument or vocal sections have been edited or changed, or when different singers’ vocals have been substituted for the originals, etc.? It seems like a lot of “revisionist history” has been undertaken by Kate for this release. I am sure there are very interesting reasons why. TIA.

9. Mr Day

Mr Day Hater of Fools

The Big Sky is now the 7” mix. No idea why. Maybe Kate didn’t like the original version?
    The tracks on Aerial with Rolf Harris on.
    The version of Experiment IV is the video mix, I think
    There may be others but that’s all I can think of.

10. Yes, I knew that about The Big Sky.

What is the story behind the Aerial tracks?

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I did a video here that should help answer that....

And further reading should it be needed.... Rolf Harris - Wikipedia

12. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

@Chris DeVoe re 'mic drop'.

Thank you Chris! Got it. Learn summat new every day :)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. So . . . I get why the guy is repulsive but still, it is rewriting history! I guess the artist can do what she wishes with her art.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  14. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

I generally subscribe to the view that we should separate the artist from their art, but don't see this as rewriting history any more than remastering or remixing is 'rewriting history'. The new versions are simply alternatives.
    Those of us who bought the original recordings still have them, and they are still available to buy if people want them. I now have two versions of Aerial and I have a choice as to which one I listen to.

sunspot42, NorthNY Mark and tin ears like this.
  15. MartinWarrilow

MartinWarrilow Forum Resident

Very pleased so far with all the individual vinyl, all except for Hounds of Love...i guess I'm still on the look out for the perfect version of this album.

My issue is with Big Sky...as soon as it started i could hear it wasn't the album version. 7" version is fine, but not one that i want to listen to during the normal flow of the album.

I like the original HoL vinyl, but a pristine one is hard to find, i have a perfect sounding Audio Fidelity (no issues with my pressing) but i don't like the mix as i find it way to warm and polite.

I guess the EMI100 is the one to track down??

audiomixer likes this.
  16. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I probably got in Kate Bush through Aerial although was obviously aware of the famous tracks from HoL.

I really like Side 2 of Aerial especially (I can go without listening to Side 1) - I personally really dis-like the idea of removing Rolf Harris. Now for context, here in the UK pretty much anyone over a certain age will have grown up with Rolf Harris Cartoon Time on TV late afternoons and know his voice. This is the reason why he's on the Painter's Link track for instance - it harks back to his 'can you guess what it is yet?' period. You probably have to remember this show the remember the context. It makes no sense to put anyone else in as it was appropriate for the time.

I dis-like revisionism in music, and am happy to listen to my original version. Having said that, how much of an improvement (if any) is the new CD? Could the older tracks be spliced into the newer tracks, so you can restore Rolf or would the levels / mastering be too different?

Max Florian and Maidenpriest like this.
  17. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Easily done but the original sounds just as good as the new remaster if not better IMO, no need for the new version

Max Florian and puddleduck like this.
  18. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

That's her perogative to do what she thinks is right - I for one, am not wholly convinced that Rolf Harris is as villainous we've been lead to believe, potentially anything he is guilty of has been grossly exaggerated and there is talk that a lot more of the charges should have been deemed unsafe but that's not a discussion that's worth starting here as it not relevant, not to say controversial (and not for a music forum). Needless to say, it's completely acceptable for Kate to do what she wants with her own work, and if that requires re-writing history, then so be it.

keiron99 likes this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

208 pages in and this is what we’ve learnt from this thread:
    1. People miss the original Big Sky mix
    2. No one can agree on Rolfgate
    3. Walk Straight Down the Middle is as devisive as Brexit

20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Do you mean record (or CD) 2 (and record 1)?

21. puddleduck

Sorry I mean CD2 or 'A Sky of Honey'

22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I would hope so! :)

23. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I’ll never get used to the alternate vocals on “Violin”.

24. ries

ries Forum Resident

I got today a google alert "Kate Bush new album Wuthering Heights", first thought it was a new comp album, but seemed some dodgy website put an advert up.

25. puddleduck

I don't think re-writing history can ever be condoned. We learn lessons from history - ignoring history, or pretending it never happened is folly.

How would you feel if Mick Jagger decided he was unhappy with the dalliances Bill Wyman had with Mandy Smith aged 13, and he decided to removing him from all Stones and re-dub with someone else? Not sure there is a big difference. Would you still be happy with re-writing history on that scale? Would it be OK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.