Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I think the key to enjoying Director's Cut is to forget the originals and listen to the album on it's own merits. It's certainly the most accessible of her 3 late-period albums. I'd definitely recommend it.

2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I would like to hear your insights about the mastering differences. I always disliked the original DC. But I’m not sure whether it’s the new arrangements or the muffled and undynamic sound…

rikki nadir likes this.
  3. ScienceFictionFan

ScienceFictionFan Forum Resident

The Dust Jacket for it was sold on Ebay several years ago

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

5. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Well, the 2018 remastering of Director's Cut is certainly an improvement to my ears. The vocals sound both sharper and more integrated with the music. Prime example: on the chorus of 'Deeper Understanding', the original sounds like an overmanipulated mess. On the remaster, I can actually hear Kate's distinctive voice at the forefront and emerging, not for the whole chorus, but for moments here and there. This transforms the track from a 'meh' into a 'must revisit' for me.

Another example: 'Top Of The City' on either mastering of DC is still my least favourite of the five versions I have heard and remember. But at least on the remastered DC, the vocals are clearer and I get a sense of what that version has to offer.

As ever, your mileage may vary. And I would never claim that if you dislike the DC project this version is going to get you to change your mind. Although it has for me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    bluemooze, croquetlawns and Yost like this.
  6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I've just ordered the 2018 DC, so I'm looking forward to hearing any differences.

rikki nadir likes this.
  7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I didn't care enough for DC to bother. I don't think remastering can fix a terrible idea.

8. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I think of it as an interesting curiosity, but maybe improved sound will make me enjoy it more. But yes, it's my least played KB thus far.

9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Listening to Before the Dawn, I was intrigued by the arrangements of some of those songs, especially songs from The Red Shoes. I really liked them. I went back to Directors Cut and realized that those arrangements were first done there, and now I kind of prefer those arrangements, especially when listening to the remastered DC.

so no, I don’t think DC was a terrible idea.

10. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I like the rearrangements of Top Of The City and and Lily are the best and are preferable to my ears to their originals. I'm not sure what to make of Never Be Mine. I prefer the delicacy of the original version but I like the Before The Dawn performance of the new version way more than on Director's Cut.

Rubberband Girl is the one that sticks out the most to me, and not in a good way. I think the rest are all enjoyable enough for what they are, but Director's Cut is definitely not an essential Kate Bush album for me.

sunspot42, ries and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Fair enough, she has enough absolutely essential albums to keep most any music listener busy for a while.

rikki nadir, ad180 and ries like this.
  12. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I think the original Rubberband Girl is a bit bland but the DC remake is more interesting.

tin ears likes this.
  13. Raindear

Raindear New Member

Love her reissues

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Well, yes. That's my point! I'm basically telling newbies not to start there.

(They should start where I did: Hounds Of Love late at night on headphones :agree:)

Carlox, rikki nadir, tin ears and 2 others like this.
  15. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

“Let’s start at the very beginning....a very good place to start” :p

16. ScienceFictionFan

We sort of got a preview of DC when Kate re-did Wuthering Heights for The Whole Story.

I'm curious as to what her decision was for doing that?

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

To get to hear her sing that Song in her 'Adult' Voice, to replace her early Annoying(to my ears) Teen Voice. I realize she could not change her voice as a Teen, so 'it is, what it is' as Tony Soprano would say.

I wish KB would have re-recorded her entire first few Albums around the time she re-recorded 'Wuthering Heights' with her more mature voice, as I love the Songs/Music, but not her Early Teen Voice that much, but for other people, YMMV.

18. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

:eek:

..but her ‘young’ voice is what gave her early music that unique otherworldly sound. I wouldn’t change a thing. Now as luck would have it her ‘older’ voice is also awesome too :)

19. ScienceFictionFan

Her lisp seems to have gotten more pronounced over the years too.

Somebody I know was in a shop at the same time Kate was in there (This was just last year) Apparently he heard this familiar voice, and not thinking whether it was true or not, he poked his head around the corner. Only to see Kate herself chatting with the person on tills!

20. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I play Directors Cut all the time, I find it essential for sure for me. recently fallen in love with Snow as well, which I'd not grasped when it was new.

DesertHermit, Norco74 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Snow is next on the deck. :D As we are approaching spring here, will spin it a last time before November..

22. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be some sort of rights issue. Had Kate used the original version of WH then 6 of the 12 tracks on The Whole Story would have been from her first three albums (which were still at the time owned by EMI), however i think any re-recording would be owned by Kate herself so by putting one on The Whole Story it would give Kate the "majority" in the rights to the album. It could also be the reason why some hits (Them Heavy People, Hammer Horror) were left off the album.

23. ScienceFictionFan

I think EMI still own her first three albums.

24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just picked up a sealed vinyl UK set of Remastered IIII at Newbury Comics from the sale bin for $60.

I have a CD of "50 Words For Snow" with which to compare. I have Before The Dawn on vinyl, but I don't have nor have I heard Director's Cut or Aerial before.

The CD is a very good sounding one. But the vinyl version adds depth and greater dimensionality. Unfortunately my copy suffers from non-fill. Otherwise this album was beautifully recorded and mastered.

Aerial is extraordinary. And it's beautifully recorded and mastered to vinyl. My copy is close to flawless.

Director's Cut is mixed bag. Some excellent cuts, but also some non-essential ones. But either the recording or mastering to vinyl was botched in my opinion. It often sounds wooly and muffled. Some cuts sound better than others, but it's a big comedown from the sound of the other two. The pressing is okay, with the 2nd disc having a ripple warp.

My local Newbury Comics has a new copy for replacement. I will hold onto the copy of Aerial as that one is just fine, and then replace the other two albums.

Musically, though, I just shake my head at Kate's genius and her commitment to march to the beat of her own drummer.

croquetlawns and marblesmike like this.
  25. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

I have the "This Woman's Work" box set and also this new one. I'm still not very satisfied with the sound of her albums. I know they were not very well recorded to begin with, but i was wondering: does the original vinyl releases sound better than this newer remasterings? Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.