Kate Bush "The Kick Inside" - Japanese PASTMASTERS CD - best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesmu, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi all,

recently was given the following CD:

Kate Bush
    "The Kick Inside"
    CP21-6082
    PASTMASTERS

...never having any of Kate's albums on CD or LP, i am wondering how this CD stacks up sonically to the other versions out there? also, is this one of her best/better albums? of course, i shall give this one a spin later on.

:help:

thanx all!

:righton:

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's a very rare cd.

3. apesmu

hi yesstiles,

really? i know that most of the PASTMASTERS series are hard to come by, but wasn't sure about this particular album - why so rare?

...after doing a bit of research on the Internet, i see that this was Kate's only album that had been issued in other countries with differing covers.

...does anyone know if this would be the best CD sonically of the bunch?

thanx all!

4. progmog

progmog Senior Member

The 'Pastmasters' is the second Japanese pressing. I haven't heard it myself, but I would be highly surprised if it sounded any better than the first Japanese pressing of 'The Kick Inside' which is on the Toshiba-EMI label, with catalogue number CP35-3045.

5. apesmu

hi progmog,

thanx for the reply.

have you heard the first Japanese pressing of "The Kick Inside"? if so, how do you rate it?

...are the first Japanese pressings and/or PASTMASTERS discs considered the best sounding of Kate's albums on CD?

thanx all!

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's the one I have - sounds better than the EU (or was it UK?) version that I have. But I have never heard the PastMasters version.

7. apesmu

hi Gary,

thanx for the reply.

do you recall what you liked better about the first Japanese CD pressing as compared to the EU (or UK) disc?

i'm guessing that the PASTMASTERS is the same mastering as the first Japanese pressing, although perhaps another member has both discs and has been able to compare.

thanx!

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Just like all the Japanese first pressing CDs that I have, it sounds a little more real ("you are there") and a little more clear than others (UK, Canadian, US, etc). It either sounds like a generation closer to the master (see note A) or they used a different A to D converter and it just sounds better somehow. Guitars are natural and clear. Her voice is clearer, more natural, more realistic. More tape hiss at the beginning where they used the sound effects of.... whatever that is! Whales underwater? :shrug:

I really find it hard to describe.

Note A: Some say Japanese first pressings are - or sound like they are - closer to the master tape. Could be but if I have never heard the master tape (which, of course, I have not!) how can I say that? The master tape could sound bad and the mastering engineers worked their magic on it! :)

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Does the CP35 have the "leotard" cover like the Pastmasters disc, or the "eye" cover like the 3rd Japanese pressing?

10. apesmu

hi Gary,

thanx very much for the reply!

i understand/agree with what you are saying - i will definitely give this one a spin later and report back here.

thanx!

11. apesmu

hi yesstiles,

this is what the cover of the CP21 version looks like.

Attached Files:

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's the Pastmasters isn't it?

13. apesmu

hi yesstiles,

yeah, this is the cover of the PASTMASTERS CP21-6082. just wanted to post the cover. i misunderstood your post in regards to the "leotard" cover - this version does have the leotard cover, not sure about the earlier pressing.

what does the eyes cover look like?

thanx!

14. apesmu

...am spinning the disc right now, and it sounds WONDERFUL! it sounds just how Gary described it in his above post.

...has anyone been able to compare the PASMASTERS with the earlier CP35 pressing?

thanx!

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have the Toshiba EMI CP35-3045 JPN. It's a "black triangle" - same cover as the one you posted. I also have the USA CD on EMI - CDP 7460122, and the black triangle is superior.

The cover I recall the most (from my Aussie LP) is the "eye" design with her on the kite. I think the most common cover in the US is with her in jeans with red socks.

http://www.dongrays.com/kate-bush/ftki.html

I have not seen the middle image on the above web site.

16. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

I have a Japanese EMI 'Cool Price' series TOCP-3005/7460122. Anyone know anything about this pressing? It sounds OK to me, and better than the UK pressing I had previously.

17. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That was the original cover of the Canadian vinyl LP only, fwiw....

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Here is the Canadian LP cover. It's far more attractive when you see an actual one in person - best cover of "The Kick Inside" IMO.

Attached Files:

yesstiles likes this.
  19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks jsayers and Jack White.

20. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

I just ordered a copy of The Kick Inside (Japanese Import) from HMV

[​IMG]

Any ideas what I can expect sound wise?

TIA,
    Stephen

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I would suspect that it wouldn't be the same mastering as the original pressing from Japan...probably on par with what you are used to in the UK....

22. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

The packaging is really nice. I'll give the disc a listen over the weekend...

[​IMG]

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Has anyone compared the CP35 black-triangle and CP21 Pastmasters discs? I have the black-triangle disc, and I prefer it to the West German pressing with catalog number CDP 7 46012 2.

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I prefer my CP35 black-triangle over the West German and UK editions that I used to own. But I guess that does not help you...

25. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I have owned the CP35, CP21, WG CDP along with the Mini LP CD and the CP35 is the nicest sounding disc of all.
    Obviously a lot depends on the system you have as I'm sure they're all going to be pretty close if you're playing them in the car or on my 70's music centre (for example)

kiddo4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.