Katy Lied: GREAT Album, FLAWED recording. Pick your poison!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteelyNJ, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Well, this is interesting. Like I said, I was only listening off my phone through earphones, but I'm surprised I got the MoFi wrong with both tracks. The MoFi sounds brighter through my system than on these samples, so the GH must be super-bright. A lot less difference between the MoFi and the Kendun than I expected.

Interesting stuff, I enjoyed this thread, thanks SteelyNJ, Leonthepro and everyone else!

SteelyNJ and Leonthepro like this.
  2. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for your input and participation!

Phil Tate and Leonthepro like this.
  3. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Anybody have a link to the Hoffman remastering? On Amazon ?

4. SteelyNJ

I don't know about on Amazon but somebody posted samples of the Hoffman remastered CD earlier in this thread. Sounded about "as good as it gets" to me but not exceptional. The Citizen Steely Dan version of "Katy" is also acceptable.

Leonthepro likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just listening to the Katy Lied tracks on my 4 sided RL of Greatest Hits.

They are so good it’s frightening. If they would have had him do the whole album, this thread would have no need to exist. They clean the clock of my MFSL of Katy.

Disappointing.

webmatador and SteelyNJ like this.
  6. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

The problem I have always had with it is the distortion in the fade out of Daddy Don't You Live In That New York City...

Its noticeable in the orig. Kendun , the orig & remastered 99 CDs...

Other than that I am content with my orig. M- Kendun pressings

7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Strange, no one else preferred that press really. But if you like it brighter then maybe.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

No one liked which press? The GH RL?

Everyone likes that pressing. What are you talking about?

aroney and webmatador like this.
  9. SteelyNJ

Leonthepro likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

11. Leonthepro

Im pretty sure, Bad Sneakers and Doctor Wu were the tracks in the test. Not saying the Greatest Hits or Robert is bad or anything, just seems like most prefer other alternatives here.

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ok, fair enough. I think they sound great.:)

The test has the GH Tracks, but they’re not RLs, and it’s MCA. I’ve got the RL, four sides...and its ABC label. That whole pressing is crazy good, including the Katy tracks.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    aroney, webmatador and JediJoker like this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've never had an issue with the sound (then again, I don't think I've ever listened to it on headphones). Becker and Fagan were such unforgiving audiophile snobs, though, that I can imagine how they couldn't bear to listen to it!

Heckto35 likes this.
  14. SteelyNJ

Interesting that in our small test with unlabeled samples, the “Katy Lied” tracks from GH were generally judged inferior to the other samples.

15. Leonthepro

Oh, what cut did we use?

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Please see the addition to my last post above. I don’t think we’re comparing apples to apples here.

JediJoker and SteelyNJ like this.
  17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Katy Lied is one of my favorite records of all time also, but in the 1000 times I heard it I never had a single thought about it not being a good recording.

18. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Compared others all the other Steely Dan recordings it’s not that great.

Well, The Royal Scam is a backseat taker, too.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

lol, ditto.

uzn007 and Scott S. like this.
  20. SteelyNJ

Maybe not. I have two copies of Greatest Hits on vinyl, one US MCA and one Portuguese ABC. Both say “mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk” in the printed notes but there are no telltale “RL” etchings (or any other initials claiming cutting credit) in the dead wax on any of the sides.

Do you have the ability to create and upload samples of the Katy tracks from your GH (which we KNOW is RL cut)? I might have saved my original samples from last summer and, if so, be able to re-upload them so you can see the portions of the tracks I used.

I know coming from different gear it still would not be “apples to apples” but I think it would be illuminating nevertheless.

Leonthepro likes this.
  21. GH:
    RL
    RL
    RL
    RL

Japan for US disc, Hoffman time 35:37.9 no barcode giant grasshopper

YMMV

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I wish I did have the ability, but sadly, I don’t.

I just did my own little shootout with Black Friday and Dr.Wu comparing my US 1980 Katy on MCA, my Mofi Katy, and my GH RL. My wife was not told which were which, and her unbiased findings were mine...GH first, 1980 second, Mofi last.

Now, after that, we compared the two Katy’s only and at louder listening levels. As suspected, the MCA’s shortcomings were in evidence: sibilance emerges, harshness in the top end creeps in. The Mofi was smooth, with no sibilance and a rounder sound. Well, that’s Mofi isn’t it? Turn them up, and you see the method in their madness.

Nothing definitive in my testing, of course, but some interesting results to me. Man, that rotten Greatest Hits does it right. Nice job, Bob...as usual.

Heckto35 likes this.
  23. SteelyNJ

My original point of this thread was that ALL versions of "Katy Lied" are flawed to some degree, mostly because of the well-documented inherent issues in the original recording process. Many people have expressed the opinion that "Katy Lied" is fine as is going all the way back to the ABC Kendun, but I'm not one of those loyalists. Apparently neither is (Steely Dan guitarist) Denny Dias. Some of the problems I hear: The piano on "Doctor Wu" always sounds "mushy" to me and the cymbals on most of the tracks are wonky, regardless of the pressing or format. Not that all KL pressings and masterings are equal, but none (to me) sound as good as I believe they should (which really sucks, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album).

Chemguy likes this.
  24. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I'd dispute the idea that it's a great album but I seem to be in the minority...not even close to being the equal of the first three. Better than Gaucho but that's not saying a lot.

Chemguy likes this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You are 100% correct. It is flawed, and that’s all there is to it. Great tunes, great music, inferior Dan sound.

I guess my Mofi will be it, going forward. But if the original master tapes are out there, could you imagine the fight we’d have trying to be the first to get a Mofi One Step of this record?

Heckto35 likes this.