KC and the Sunshine Band...(help?!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MielR, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I can recommend the MoFi silver label reissue of the 1st LP. It really grooves, despite many of the songs being recorded at a by-then outmoded 8-track multitrack studio.

Blue Cactus, Jrr and MielR like this.
  2. MielR

MielR THIS SPACE FOR RENT Thread Starter

KC claims that he never thought of any of their songs as "disco", and their first album Do It Good (that "Queen Of Clubs" came from), is 100% soul/funk/R&B- nary a "disco" track in sight. Any KC songs that might be considered "disco" only started on their 2nd album.

The original album series that I mentioned above, is their first 5 studio albums for less than $20! It's a great place to start, without going down the hole. ;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    McLover and Juggsnelson like this.
  3. MielR

It really wasn't a disco song, but at some point, all of their songs got painted with that brush.

I don't own the 45, but I've heard that it was the wrong speed on there as well (too fast).

Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  4. MielR

I've heard that that's the best their self-titled album has ever sounded (which was actually their second album- their first LP was Do It Good which I don't think MoFi has done), in spite of the fact that the original master tapes are lost.

I have to say that I'm happy with the sound of their self-titled album on CD (except for the speed/fadeout issues with "boogie shoes" that I mentioned above), but I am considering picking up a MoFi copy one of these days, just for fun. ;)

Juggsnelson likes this.
  5. MielR

Wow! I'd say you deserve it! My hat is off to you, sir!:cheers: Have one for me, too, while you're at it! :winkgrin: I REALLY appreciate the effort you're putting into this! You mention that "boogie shoes" is nearly identical on the VH1 and Best Of discs, so I'm guessing Fisher didn't fix the speed issue for the VH1? (It was too fast on the Best Of collection).

6. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Boogie Shoes was originally the B Side of Shake Your Booty. It didn't become a hit until Saturday Night Fever. So you might have had that great 2 sided 45!

7. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

I will have to check on that. The dynamic range information is the certainly the same for Boogies Shoes between the Best of and VH1 collections. I think that adjusting speed would not affect the peaks, only squash things together a bit. But I will get back to you on this.

MielR likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My KC & The Sunshine Band holdings are all TK Records 45 RPM singles or MECA 45 RPM singles. Save for "It's The Same Old Song" which I own on a UK Epic Promo 45.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The UK Jay Boy 45 has a different flip side, I own that 45 backed with "I'm A Pushover". "Boogie Shoes" was also released in the UK on Jay Boy as the flip side of "I'm So Crazy ('Bout You).

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I only have "Boogie Shoes" on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack and a couple of their hits on K-Tel anthologies. I like their hits, my favorite being "Keep It Coming, Love". Many of the others are, IMO, rather interchangeable with very similar tunes. A good comp would be all the KC I would personally need. Behind the Music, pictured above, looks like it might be the definitive collection.

11. Linnaeus Nightingale

I think a lot of folks would be happy with the VH1 set, but it does have one major fault in that it does not contain the 80s comeback hit, Give It Up, which is essential in my opinion. Sure it is more lightweight than what preceded it, but it is a fun song nonetheless. The 1990 Best of does contain this track, as does the 25th Anniversary Collection.

Keep in mind, too, that the band's albums contain some really cool funky rhythms. There is decidedly more to this band than the hits.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    McLover, Folknik and MielR like this.
  12. arem

arem Forum Resident

I’ve never investigated them on record, but there is a concert that VH-1 used to show of them in 1976 or so where they are absolutely killing it. They must have been incredibly fun to go see back in those days. A couple of clips:

VH3FAN, Tanx, wrappedinsky and 3 others like this.
  13. arem

arem Forum Resident

14. Linnaeus Nightingale

What's this? People actually playing real instruments alongside each other. What will they think of next? Oh, sitting at one's computer, sampling to produce what is also considered music. Which is theoretically less noteworthy?

Actually, I pretty much treat all music the same. However made, it is one's creation, and if it sounds good, that's great. I just don't like it when people dump on KC and the Sunshine band as if they were some kind of ephemeral, untalented hacks. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

For now though....:wiggle::wiggle::wiggle:.

VH3FAN, guppy270 and MielR like this.
  15. MielR

Yes, they were great! There was a thread here recently that was something like "are there any bands/artist you didn't get to see live that you wish you could have" and I posted that I wish I could have seen KC back in the 70s. I definitely would have gone to see them if I'd been about 10 years older. Here's the full concert that your clips came from, btw, REALLY great!

Tanx likes this.
  16. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

One of the odd things about the band , that in the Philly area "I Get Lifted" is "the KC song" , it still gets a huge amount of airplay.....a friend of mine works at WDAS ( an Adult Urban format station) , and told me , even in 2019, there are days , that that song , is the most requested song on the station...the funny thing (or bad thing) is that no one has told KC , this , as of yet .....and 1/2 of the people that go to one of his concerts in the area , leave the show disappointed that they do not play the song live

VH3FAN, S. P. Honeybunch and MielR like this.
  17. MielR

You sound like me, about 6 months ago, lol. I only had the "fever" soundtrack and KC's duet with Teri Desario. I always liked KC- his music was ubiquitous throughout my life, but I never paid a whole lot of attention to it, probably due to my age. I really only first took notice of his music when "Give It Up" came out, which I loved, but didn't buy because I was only about 13 and I wasn't buying my own records yet.

You owe it to yourself to at least check out some of the non-hit album tracks on YouTube, like I did. They led to me wanting to explore the albums and I now find myself liking many of those songs more than the hits they shared album space with. The non-LP B-sides are great, too. I'll never think of them as a "singles" band ever again!

VH3FAN and Folknik like this.
  18. MielR

It actually first appeared on George McCrae's debut LP! Supposedly, it's KC's most-sampled song as well. I thought KC had started performing it live again...if not, he really should. It's one of the best songs on their 2nd album, and it would be way better than all of the dumb covers that I hear his band is doing now.

VH3FAN likes this.
  19. radickeyfan

no luck on my end, the last 2 times I have seen them
    (over the last 2 yrs)

20. MielR

That's crazy of him not to do it. They even used the song in a Jimmy Choo ad recently. Maybe he just can't sing it live anymore?

How are his recent shows, BTW? Worth seeing?

21. radickeyfan

eh---it is a 1 in 4 chance
    3 out of 4 times, he just does not take the music or himself seriously --and kind of just goes thru the motions
    1 out 4 times, though , he and the band , for whatever reason, just "kill" , and make you think it is still 1979.... this is over the last 20 yrs

MielR likes this.
  22. MielR

It really bugs me when people lump KC&TSB in with the likes of The Village People and other flaky disco groups.
    KC&TSB was a great group--they were great musicians and KC wrote some fantastic songs.

...but only if you're sitting in the last row (or have very poor eyesight).:winkgrin::cool:

All kidding aside...maybe I'll try to catch them next time they're in town.
    They were here on my birthday last year and I debated going, but decided against it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That's how we did keyboards back then! No fancy racks, no MIDI - just duct tape a Hohner Clavinet on top of a Rhodes 88!

24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

You might want to check out other artists like George Macrae (Rock your Baby) that I think KC wrote for and ? may have been label mates.

McLover and MielR like this.
  25. MielR

Yeah, I mentioned him in post #43 above. KC wrote ALL of the songs for GM's 1st album. They were both on TK records. KC also wrote songs for many of the other TK artists, too. I'd like to put a master list together of all the songs KC wrote for other people-there were quite a lot!

VH3FAN and McLover like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.