Keeping Amplifiers Constantly Powered On

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiomixer, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Replace faulty switches. Maintain audio components properly. To get the best possible audio quality out of a given component, keep it running safely and up to spec. A faulty power switch is not a reason to seek a workaround. It's a reason to make a proper repair.

SandAndGlass, Shawn, Benzion and 2 others like this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Always on in all my seperate systems since the 70’s. Never had any problems because of it other than $$ power cost.

Dave likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

The consensus now seems to be to "power off". I will go back to that method and keep track of any anomalies.

4. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

No point in having mine on if I’m not using. There is no difference in sound quality.

5. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member

I have left my SS amps on since I got into the hobby. Never an issue. If I go away I’ll turn them off and if I know a bad storm is approaching things are unplugged.

6. DiggyGun

DiggyGun One Box Is The Future

You just remove the knob from the shaft and then spray that. Put the knob back on, job done. No disassembly required.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

A brownout or blackout, not to mention a Lightning strike, can take out your powered amp AND the speakers with it.

ayrehead and audiomixer like this.
  8. John76

John76 Forum Resident

My amps and turntable power supply has been on 24/7 for over two decades.

9. audiomixer

It’s a toggle switch. Off, stand-by & On. Nothing to pull off.

10. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

IMO, waste of electricity unless your strictly solar. Turn the light off.

Shawn and Leroyd like this.
  11. DiggyGun

Can you post a picture

12. audiomixer

13. DiggyGun

Spray the front of the switch, it will make its way in

14. PB Point

PB Point Forum Resident

What about non-led bulbs going out?

15. audiomixer

I emailed Conrad-Johnson and they suggested for an amp that old not to leave it powered 24/7.
    So for the moment, I plan to hook my speaker up to a separate power strip and shutting off the power from the strip instead of the toggle switch on the speaker itself until I decide to get the switch fixed.

33na3rd likes this.
  16. regore beltomes

regore beltomes Forum Resident

If it's just a toggle switch, replace it. A rocker switch may be more challenging .
    I recommend leaving power on 24/7/365. That guarantees me job security until end of days.
    Not only is my equipment off it's also unplugged. One power surge or lightning strike will
    make you a believer. My HK 430 is 45 years old and never needed service other than the power lamp.
    My Toshiba SA-750 and Pioneer SX-3700 are also original. They're unplugged when not in use.
    We had a power surge about 20 years ago. Took out everything that was plugged in. It finally
    went to ground through my well pump and took it out too. My receivers will likely outlive me
    with proper care and cleaning. I also use whisper fans to keep everything cool running.
    Heat is the enemy of electronic equipment. However, the experts will disagree.

17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's good to take the hood off some old amps (unplugged of course). You get a good look at what's going on in there. Even if you don't replace capacitors, all of the switches could use some deoxit, along with the speaker terminals/RCA's inside and out. I also replaced 25 year old fuses in my Adcom along with cleaning the fuse rails. This got rid of a low level buzzing in one channel on that amp. Finally, I blew out all of the dust with some compressed air. Worthwhile.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  18. Curious as to why you leave them on for 20 years?

audiomixer likes this.
  19. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I turn my equipment off when I'm done with one exception - my Marantz CD6004 which I have my iPad plugged into (USB port) as it keeps the iPad fully charged.

20. fish

fish Senior Member

I agree BUT. if you run Vintage tubes, turning them on and off is usually when they pop. 98% of the time my tubes (vintage) have gone when turned on cold. Sad days.
    Depending on the circuit type leaving them on can take time off their useful lifespan. Sometimes not so much....
    If tubes are abundant and cheap then who cares but when they are hard to find and cost $100-$200 each...

I tend to leave my stuff on all the time unless im away for an extended period of time then I unplug them. I dont use any surge protection, never sounds ok.

My Class-A's/SET's cost $$ monthly to run. Lots of Heat 24/7. Great in the Winter :-D

21. fish

fish Senior Member

You know cycling those batteries effects the longevity. Devices even keep track of the cycle times. Thats from around 25% to 95%. Keeping them plugged in can greatly reduce longevity and ability to hold a charge. People with Laptops do it all the time. Leave them plugged in mostly and in 2 years the battery is shot and it was never even really used. Same for Phones and Pads. Leave your pad unplugged when you're not using it. Turn it off if that helps but dont leave it on and keep it plugged in for long periods of time.

krambigmac likes this.
  22. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I've read comments claiming that but it is not my experience with the number of Apple devices we own (phones, computers, iPads). FWIW, my personal Macbook Pro is from 2013. It is plugged in probably 90% of the time and the battery is still about 85-90% functionality.

23. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Amp on 24x7 in the cooler weather. Heat-seeking cat. Said cat will sit on laptop keyboard if she takes exception to my music selection.

Ntotrar and Shawn like this.
  24. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

By "off" do you mean actually powered off (i.e., the switch on the back) or do you mean turning the amp into standby mode (i.e., a "bias off" switch).

I leave my amp plugged in and powered on via the rear switch all the time, and will bring it out of standby when I first use it on a given day and then put it back into standby at bedtime.

25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Primary system is tubes. Off when no one is around. Video oriented system (SS) seems to be on about 18 hours a day...

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.