KEF LS50 Wireless or LS50 + New Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jp2000, Apr 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

If you heard my upgraded & refined tube amp you would change your statement.
    BTW- what crossover. I do not use capacitors causing phase shift in my speakers.

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Maybe, I've heard a lot over the years. I'm sure its very good and in any case, if you like it, who else needs to worry?

By and large, if you're buying a pair of active speakers, (note, not simple powered monitors with one master and one passive/slave box) then you'll get one amp to each driver and an active crossover. The frequency split in the actives comes before amplification as that's the crossover arrangement.

BayouTiger likes this.
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

The added bass was just beyond subtle IMO. I used them for a good week or so before hooking my subs up to them and during that time felt less need for subs. I had the bass setting at stand mount, or whatever it's called.

As for source, I started using the analog in which allowed me to use my dac to get a feel for them. As my intent was to see if I could live with just a bare source and the LS50Ws I switched to using the digital input on the KEFs. My thought when using just the digital input was the sound hardened just a bit. I sold my LS50s to purchase the wireless version so couldn't compare, but I believe I preferred the standard LS50 with my source and amps.

In the end though, neither KEF version bettered my Revel M22s. The Revels have a tone I prefer to the KEFs. The Revels also go much deeper with more authority than either LS50 version.

For @sunspot42, I suggest you add the Revel Concerta M16 to your list of budget speakers to audition.

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

@timind I'll have to look. I'm not really in the market for "budget" speakers though - the CM's certainly aren't cheap. They're only around $100 cheaper than KEF's LS50 - $1,199 a pair vs. $1,299.

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

The MSRP is $900 for the M16; maybe not quite budget. Of course you could always move up to the Performa line with the M106. I am an unashamed fan of Revel as I've liked every speaker I've heard from them.

Back to the LS50. If I had to boil it down to one simple sentence, I'd say, it's a great speakers, but not a relaxing speaker.

sunspot42 likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's true.

timind likes this.
  7. kmurp

kmurp Forum Resident

Agree. I tried it with a sub and wife thought there was way too much bass. FWIW I was just using some test tones on the standard dsp setting and 50hz is clearly heard but at 40 I could barely hear anything.

8. sanvara

sanvara Member

I see LS50 as being best suited for active listening and not speakers to ideally use for background music.

timind likes this.
  9. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

KEF LS50W owners: what phono preamp are you using with these speakers? Any suggestions? Has anyone tried a tube phono preamp with the LS50W’s?

Thanks

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm using a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter with great results. Differences in pressings come through clear as day even with the KEFs digitizing of the signal and the needle drops I get via it's USB out are fantastic.

I see no reason why a tube phono pre would have any issues.

Ivand likes this.
  11. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

I’m using a Lounge LCR MKIII w/silver and Audio Sensibility Impact SE cable with a Denon DP-60L. Cartridge is an Ortofon 2M Bronze. It all sounds excellent to my rookie ears. If I upgrade the phono preamp, I’ll probavly go with a Parasound JC3 Jr.

Ivand likes this.
  12. Davestef

Davestef New Member

What 30wpc tube amp are you using with your ls50’s? I have a pair of Mcintosh mc30’s (30wpc) that I use with Klipsch Cornwall’s. I know the R300’s are a little more sensitive, so thought they might be better with the lower power tube amps (88 vs 84 dbl/watt). Not sure which one to add to my stable.

13. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.